• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star worthy?

16 posts in this topic

I may be sending this coin to GC but I feel the coin could pull a plus or possibly a star designation. If so it would likely be worth the submission fees. The holder is a little rough anyhow so I would like a new holder regardless if I auction the coin so I feel I may as well crack anyhow.

CT_1967MS64BN_WashOnCent1_o4r6.jpg

CT_1967MS64BN_WashOnCent1_o2r4.jpg

It is a nice coin, but in my opinion, it is not star worthy. The color isn't bright enough or vivid enough (even accounting for inconsistencies in the application of the designation). I also think that the luster probably precludes a higher grade and MS64 looks right to me. Finally, unless the holder was heavily scarred, I would leave reholdering for the next owner.

Good luck when it is time to sell. It is a neat error.

I do agree with the colors not as vivid as most star coins.

I may sound ignorant with this statement but is the denomination of a coin taken into effect when awarding a star? If so could the I appeal of the coin based on other similar errors be taken into account?

Edited to say by denomination of coin I suppose I meant the series. If a coin of a certain series or denomination is known to have a certain eye appeal and your coin exceeds that is that taken into account?

From what I've seen, a Star has nothing to do with a series but more the eye appeal of a coin. I have a starred Washie, it's a proof. It was close to making Dcam but didn't. It's a cam but I figured starred because it was a clean and close to a DCAM coin.

I may sound ignorant with this statement but is the denomination of a coin taken into effect when awarding a star? If so could the I appeal of the coin based on other similar errors be taken into account?

Edited to say by denomination of coin I suppose I meant the series. If a coin of a certain series or denomination is known to have a certain eye appeal and your coin exceeds that is that taken into account?

The only published standard for the star designation is that the coin have superior eye appeal, which has been defined quite broadly. A star may be awarded for superb toning, unusually blinding/strong luster, and coins that just do miss a designation (e.g. just miss cameo or deep cameo coins, semi-PL coins, PL coins that just miss DPL, etc.). Based on my experiences, it is based on a series by series basis, so it would be compared to other Washington quarters of the era. The fact that it is an error won't and shouldn't enter into the equation unless it can be said that the eye appeal is improved by the error. So the relevant comparison population is all Washington Quarters from this era and is not limited to just error coins.

Nice error coin, but you can buy sheets of gold stars in any novelty store for a few cents and paste them on your holder.

The only published standard for the star designation is that the coin have superior eye appeal, which has been defined quite broadly. A star may be awarded for superb toning, unusually blinding/strong luster, and coins that just do miss a designation (e.g. just miss cameo or deep cameo coins, semi-PL coins, PL coins that just miss DPL, etc.). Based on my experiences, it is based on a series by series basis, so it would be compared to other Washington quarters of the era. The fact that it is an error won't and shouldn't enter into the equation unless it can be said that the eye appeal is improved by the error. So the relevant comparison population is all Washington Quarters from this era and is not limited to just error coins.

What I was getting at is I would think NGC would take into account the error and not the series. I worded this horribly.

I understand the quarters of the era have a certain eye appeal but this is a completely different composition which will obviously have a different appearance . I could better understand your statement better if you compared the eye appeal to 1967 cents of the era.

Also searching these errors I have not been able to find colorful and attractive examples.

Also there are enough of these errors to compare eye appeal.

Edited to add that as a member ats pointed out it is also a perfectly centered piece which could add to appeal.

I don't know if NGC takes any of this into account or will even star an error but I have asked and will post a response

Very cool coin but the colors are much too dark to ever be considered for a star. Really on a coin like this the star would mean nothing as the folks buying this aren't buying it for the toning...that's just an added bonus.

Very cool coin but the colors are much too dark to ever be considered for a star. Really on a coin like this the star would mean nothing as the folks buying this aren't buying it for the toning...that's just an added bonus.

+1