• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wasting time here?

21 posts in this topic

I think this website is for MS and PF coins and I don't have any of those coins. However, it's a good place for collector to chat about their collections. The values are based on those type of coins. I am more interested selling but I don't have MS nor PF. However, if I ever find the "gem" among what I have I can submit it for grading and bragging :grin:

I have learned quite a bit here and thank everybody for their help especially in posting and what to do with "smooth" coins and other helpful tips.

Where can I post for these "low grade coins?" Perhaps can find a buyer?

Most of my Kennedy's half dollars are going to the bank for cash but, I don't have some silver coins. I don't know if I should sell them as junk silver...still haven't made up my mind.

I was using the values to apply to my coins but the values are only for MS and PF coins. How can I find out the buillion value of the coins I have which are circulated. Some of them are very good and shiny, only difference is they are circulated. Varieties, etc. can make them worthwhile. I have my coin book, I guess that's the best guide

The vast majority of circulated coins are only worth bullion value unless they are very old or are rare for some reason (low mintage, rare doubled strike, etc).

Just the facts.

Yes, I am learning that but, I had to learn from somewhere and it's been a good ride here on the forum. I will most certainly post here if I find what I "think" may be worthwhile. What strength of magnification have you found helpful. It's hard for me to see DDs, and other varieties because I don't have that "trained eye" and it takes a while to do that. I am afraid I am going to let them slip through

Other than modern or Morgan dollars most of the coins posted on the site are circulated. I don't see where you would be wasting your time.

Personally, I PREFER circulated coins over MS. A lot of the enjoyment I get out of the hobby is imagining who might have held a particular coin and what he might have used it for.

There are a few sites like Coin Talk which have more of the low end coins, which isn't to say that this site and PCGS forum are for snobby coin connoisseurs, but tend more toward coins that likely get submitted for grading with all the fees associated with that.

I think you are missing a lot of information here. You have been given great advice on how to check the coins that you have shown here. This site is not designed around PF and MS collectors. I think that if you take some of the advice given, you will realize that most of the circulated coins you were trying to post were of minimal value. There is a lot to learn here but one must use the tools at hand. You seem to be frustrating yourself by not being able to post photos. If it's that important to you to be able post photos, then you need to research the internet for a cheap way of cropping your photos or purchase a cheap photo software that will enable you to do it. You have been given advice for books that can help you with grading and valueing your coins also. You have asked questions that take a 15 second google search to find. I really think that you are just making things harder on yourself. If it were me, I would take my collection, categorize it, and get a decent knowledge of what I actually have. Research every series of the coins I have to see if any of them are of value in low circulated grades. I would get a grading book (which I have 2 of them) so that you can recognize different grades for different series of coins. If collecting is a hobby that you want to persue, you have to have some motivation within yourself to research what you have. This would also help you to decide what series you might be interested in collecting also. There are some very very knowledgeable collectors here that are willing to help anytime they are asked. But it helps you become more knowledgeable when you can find the information yourself sometimes instead of relying on others to guess what you are actually asking. Take your time, slow down, and research!!!! You will find a great deal of self satisfaction when you are knowledgeable enough to answer someone else's question.

I agree, I have learned a lot here as I stated in my post. I am not frustrated because I cant post photos, I just haven't got the hang of it yet. I ask these guys because they are more knowledgeable than I am in regards to coin. I have my coins sorted. I have a coin book, "United States Coins by R.S Yeoman 66th edition, 2013. It helps me a lot and I do get confused at times. I had finally decided that I was going to check out DDs, etc. because the coins I have are circulated coins and not MS or PF. I checked out coin trackers and guess what? 1963 ten cents in poor condition $3, perfect condition $7...sighs. I do have 90% silver dimes. I don't know what to do with them: sell them for the silver content? If so where? Sell them on Ebay? (have to pay Ebay and Paypal). I check out grading coins on the web on the other hand I am not an expert and I don't have that "trained eye". Yes, I get a lot of feedback from everyone. My point isn't that I am wasting my time with you guys, I wonder if from the coins I have is worth being in the forum about. That was my point, it wasn't my intentions to put the guys down. They have been most patience with the "nit-wick" questions that I ask. Sorry you misunderstood me. I didn't intend it the way you took it...sigh....I apologize to any I have offended

Yes, they are of minimal value on the other hand some of the guys were nice enough to tell me there might be some collectors who wanted my "minimal coins".

Sigh...no way did I intend anyone was snobby. Its about me, being in the wrong group with the pros.....I didn't intend for it to be taken that way...I am nowhere to where you guys are. With the little bitty circulated coins I have, I thought my best bet was to just trot them off to the bank because I don't have MS and PFs. ..sigh...I wouldn't have known anything about posting photos or how to do it without help here from pros. I am just trying...sigh...didn't intend for it to be taken that way...I was implying about myself that I didn't belong with you guy and I end up with you guys thinking I am calling you all snobby....not my intention...sigh....

A lot of us have been in the same place you are my friend. I just say don't get soo discouraged after a couple weeks. It takes time to go from pocket change collecting to actual collecting of series coins. I wouldn't worry so much about selling worn silver coins right away. If they were mine, I would invest in either some cheap whitman folders or spend the money for some Dansco albums and start filling holes with them. Then you can always take the duplicate ones and post a list of them on the marketplace here and either sell them for what they are or trade for ones you don't have. Enjoy the hobby my friend!!!

one of my problems I found one, just one 2012p Jefferson nickel. I am going to put that "one" nickel in the roll with the other fv coins. According to my book it's worth more than fv but with one? Don't think I will get much for it...haha imagine. If I had a roll, it might be worth the time.

Please don't mistake the Red Book prices as being realistic. I don't know how they value your 2012-P Jefferson, but I doubt it's worth much more than 5 cents. You need to compare actual auction prices to see the true value. Red Book is notoriously high in their pricing.

Where are you getting your values from? More than likely the values you are looking at is a graded coin in a reputable slab. I can find that same 2012P Jefferson nickel on ebay starting at 20 cents with no bidders. Rolls of the same jeffersons aren't even getting bids at $6.99. You can research a lot of the coins you are talking about on ebay. You can get a better idea of what they are worth.

It came from coin tracker (not sure). I did search on ebay. Right now I am wrapping coins. I am checking for error and varieties. That's the best I can do now. Also checking for silver coins. I made notes from my book, but that's confusing because it only has value for MS and PF. It helps with identification. I use websites for grading coins to the best that I can. I haven't got to my stash of Lincoln pennies yet. I want to get rid of the other coins. Have bunches of mutilated coins ( hope to send them to the mint for fv) trying to determine non-errors from mint errors. I want to get rid of all of this but I think I am going to be checking pocket change for a long time. One big question for you boss, do you think all the rare coins have been collected and accounted for?

Thanks for responding

The "color is red" the title is A guide book of United States coins by R.S Yeoman, 66th edition 2013. What do you guys use for pricing and value of coins other than MS and PF?

Tired now, have to get some sleep

Good night, God bless zzz

Since you said you were heading to bed I will start by saying Good Morning!

I would suggest that you step back and actually take a look at what you want to accomplish in this hobby, and what is necessary in order for you to reach that goal. It would seem, based upon one of your comments, your main goal is to make some money in this hobby. Notice I placed hobby in bold. After all, that is what it is, and there are very few people that are able to take a hobby and turn it into a full time business, with such limited amount of experience in the field.

If turning a profit is your objective then I will focus my suggestions to that end goal. I would first suggest that you go to Charmy Harker's website (aka: The Penny Lady) and read her story on how she became involved in the hobby and is now, from all indications, a very successful dealer in coins. She lays it out very well and I think it would be extremely helpful reading for anyone wishing to get involved in the sales/business end of the hobby.

I will add that, imo, from the desperation in this thread, that you have ran into a roadblock that stems from looking at the entire mountain, which is overwhelming, instead of focusing on that first step and the subsequent placing of one foot in front of the other and taking the mountain in steps rather than looking for that helicopter charter to get yourself to the summit quickly. That charter does not exist and you will have to climb the mountain just as everyone else does; through effort.

Before you can ever get past the basics there are certain things you will have to learn. I will use for example, grading coins. You seem to think that only Uncirculated coins are worth value. This is completely false as any afternoon perusing the coins for sale on eBay, past auction results from Heritage, Great Collections, David Lawrence, Etc... would show numerous examples of coins in the F, VF, XF, and AU that sell for many thousands of dollars. But these coins are not hanging low on the tree and are extremely elusive.

Since your grading skills have not matured you will need to focus on that area extensively. You can learn this only one way; you have to look at thousands and thousands of examples that have been graded, never miss a topic in 'Hey buddy can you spare a grade' category, and learn how to take photos of coins that you are in question of the grade, so you too can post to that very same category and receive feedback and opinions on condition and possible grade. If you can make it to coin shows then go there and look at the coins, what the grades are, and learn why they are that particular grade. You can even go to PCGS's Phototgrade web page and that will help in learning to grade a coin. After a period of time you will eventually get to where you can grade within a point or two and that will give you a baseline to then find a coins value. Of course a point or two can mean many hundreds or thousands of dollars difference so your goal should be to eventually become a very accurate grader.

Do not rely on printed books for a coins value. The time it takes for those to be published, and into the hands of a collector such as yourself, is immense in the world of coin values. You will have to base your perceived value of any coin on a number of resources, but for the sake of brevity - study the realized auction results here in the coin explorer and sold listings on eBay. That will give you a general idea if a coin is even worth the time and money of sending it to a TPG for grading and encapsulation.

Above all this other BS that I have taken the time to write above, the most important aspect to being a satisfied collector or a successful dealer comes down to one main ingredient; having a true desire for the hobby. Sadly, chances are that if your only motive here is to make a profit you will fail, and continue to fail, despite all other efforts.

So I ask of you; what are your intentions? Do you have the desire?

Good luck to you and if you decide to not give up, and truly have the coin collecting desire, you need to get past that first step and keep trying to get better at taking usefull pictures.

Whew!! Thanks, I really enjoy someone that "lays it on the line". I think I jumped into it too quick. I really want to get rid of the coins that I have. I am stuck in the photos right now. There are so many ways of posting photos and I have been going back and forth trying to find one that I can understand and work with. I have learned a lot and slowed down a little. I have wrapped some of the coins and going to take them to the bank for cash but, not before I check each coin to be sure of what I have. That's not to mention the mutilated coins that I am going to send to the mint and they have rules too. The Canadian coins, I just going to let them sit in a jar, that's all I can do with them right now. Trying to get my silver coins together to take to a dealer, and doing research on that to see how to do that. It's impossible for me to get to auctions from where I live. I am legally blind, that don't mean that I don't have some vision and I don't drive. My best chance is to sell what I have if I can. I guess you wondering what a legally blind person doing in the coin forum. Legally blind don't mean one cant see, it's the degree of how much vision one has lost, very similar to grading coins. Sorry to change the subject. I have checked out grading. Yes, you are right about the book when it comes to value.. I have checked out coin explorer on this website. I have to learn how to read that too. I will make a note of the websites you have given me and will use them. Regardless to what you call the other stuff you have taken time to write down, I really appreciate it, it was a good and respectful read and interesting too. Thanks you very much. Posting photos is a problem for me right now. I cant post them as nice and pretty as the rest of the folks on this forum. I get it done but a lot of blank space....I keep working at it though...

I guess, I have. I have been so much trying to get photos to come out right....I haven't found one that I can work with...still trying to understand it...

You guess you have? You said you have the program Paint on your system. You use it to open an image and crop it. That's as easy as it gets.