• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin 1974

25 posts in this topic

You have to crop it. You have posted the image of the entire scanner bed. All you want is the coin.

I'm not sure what your particular question is about this coin - you show a circulated half dollar worth 50 cents.

I did crop it. I scanned and saved it in jpg. I then sign up with netpaint.net. I cropped it there ....I don't know what I am doing wrong, it's something. I saved it to getpaint.net. but I guess I should have opened it using getpaint when in fact I opened it in pictures w/o being cropped. I think I have to open it in getpaint....

What you are asking about, "What is between the 9 and the 7" is nothing more than PMD (Post Mint Damage).

The coin got scuffed up.

how did you find it? I cropped it in the scanner and saved it. When I opened it from "saved" it was back to the original size. This size was cropped on getpaint I don't know how I did it. Well, what I am concerned about is the markings between the 9 and 7 in 1974, It might been a machine error. It's something because it isn't supposed to be there.

If it was scuffed up, wouldn't it look worse than that? Those three dots looks like they were stamped on. I wish I could show it clearer but not able too.What you see looks scuffed but they are three separate punches or dots. The brain can trick they eyes. If we look at something long enough the image will change. At times it looks like three initials other times like just three dots. They are individual not like one scuff in the photo

I resized it, I don't understand why it didn't come through like I saved it. I saw that little dot but I didn't know what it was. I will keep trying until I get it right. Thank you. By the way are you the Roger in the post someone was referring to about the coin?

I resized it, I don't understand why it didn't come through like I saved it. I saw that little dot but I didn't know what it was. I will keep trying until I get it right. Thank you. By the way are you the Roger in the post someone was referring to about the coin?

No, that isn't him. That's Bob.

mh, does your scanner include fax capability?

Chris

The board members will need something clearer than an Ambrotype.... certainly looks like damage from the posted scan.

no, the coin was like this before I scanned it. There isn't anything on or in my scanner that could do that damage. I didn't do the damage myself. I was going through my coins when I found it and wanted to know what it was.

I am not keen to "repunched" or whatever term would be used. The "9" in 19 of 1974, is that anything significance?

You have been advised more than once that the marks you are seeing between the 9 & 7 is post mint damage. No one has referred to you having done it by your scanner. It is just plain damage, nothing more. I really think that you might take other suggestions that have been given in the past to refer to books to help you with grading coins, value of coins and you may be able to find most of your answers in them. You can also check out coins you are looking at to similar ones on ebay to see present market prices and the grades of those coins if they are slabbed, and compare them to yours.

It's definitely not a variety. And as others mentioned, it's probably just post mint damage and not a mint error. Even if it was a die chip, it wouldn't be worth more than 50 cents.

Check these out websites for more information on die varieties and mint errors:

www.doubleddie.com

www.error-ref.com

Thank you. I will make a note of the websites you provided. I have a difficult time with the die varieties AND mint errors. I have magnification at 10x and it takes a "trained" eye to see those varieties and mint errors. I have so much to learn. Even when I get rid of all these coins, I don't think I am ever going to stop looking through pocket change

I followed all the steps and the photo didn't show up in this window...I don't know what is wrong

The coin is way over here. >>>----------------> :o(:

Yes, it does. It's an all-in-one printer. I use ORG when I want to fax something

I was just checking in case you should end up missing we have a place to start the search.

I admire your enthusiasm, but you really need to learn more about numismatics in general.

Chris

I say the same thing....I will not give up. I just believe I have a winner somewhere among all these coins that I have. Well it's like going to college and they teach this and that. Once we get on the job, everything we have learned in college goes out the window, it's all about hands on experience and then apply what we have learned in the class room.