• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Modern Grades - 22 days.

38 posts in this topic

Just 1 day over... not bad.

Again no AT designations - though I really thought the 74-S Ike would get one. Its blue, purple and russet. But Dennis King looked at it at LB and he thought it was real so I sent it in.

Cant say I remember seeing damage under the toning of the 68-D Washie but its possible.... overall pretty happy. Not great grades but I dont really care so much about grades as I do AT/NT/MA. Some really nice toners purchased raw and without any premiums so its a nice start to the weekend.

pcgs.jpg

lol... They are pretty lenient on modern toners. Just look at some of the toned ASEs in PCGS plastic.

I think PCGS has tightened up considerably on the toned ASEs based on all of the details graded pieces that I am seeing in the newer PCGS generation slabs. Many of these look like coins that were once readily slabbed by PCGS. NGC has always resisted grading these. I wonder if this is a merely a (presumptive) shift in TPG policy or whether the standards on market acceptability have changed. I don't know, but it will be interesting to find out in time.

(Also, it is worth nothing that sampling errors could also play a role so the observations could be coincidental and might not reflect any changes at all - as I said, time will tell).

I must be missing something (as you seem thrilled)

to me, it does not seem that any of these grades really increased the value of the coins by the grading cost (and membership, shipping, invoice.... fees)

are some of these monster toners?

I must be missing something (as you seem thrilled)

to me, it does not seem that any of these grades really increased the value of the coins by the grading cost (and membership, shipping, invoice.... fees)

are some of these monster toners?

They are all toners. I dont really submit non-toned coins for grading.

NGC has always resisted grading these. I wonder if this is a merely a (presumptive) shift in TPG policy or whether the standards on market acceptability have changed. I don't know, but it will be interesting to find out in time.

Based on a conversation I had with someone at NCG, their standards as to the MA of modern toners changed. This was 2-3 yrs ago though.

As for PCGS tightening up, I dont know. Do you have links to ASEs in the new holders in detail grades being sold anywhere ? Im not sure which is their most recent slab incarnation. Ive seen some some vivid and colorful ASEs in the slabs with the blue/white label but I dont know how old those are.

As for PCGS tightening up, I havent seen it. Do you have links to ASEs in the new holders in detail grades being sold anywhere ?

What I mean is that I have seen an increasing number of these in the market place in the last few months to include eBay. While some of the listings have expired, I'm sure that some of them could be found by looking at completed listings. I think Shane has sold a few that have been bagged that I think would have graded previously.

Edited: Here are a couple currently listed - obviously small sample size though. Both look like coins I have seen that were straight graded by PCGS in the past.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-American-Silver-Eagle-PCGS-Unc-Details-Rainbow-Toned-COLORFUL-TONING-Color-/151432000692?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item23420cf4b4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-American-Silver-Eagle-PCGS-Genuine-UNC-Details-Amazing-Red-Martian-Toning-/310837324436?pt=US_Bullion_Coins&hash=item485f592a94

Just 1 day over... not bad.

Again no AT designations - though I really thought the 74-S Ike would get one. Its blue, purple and russet. But Dennis King looked at it at LB and he thought it was real so I sent it in.

Cant say I remember seeing damage under the toning of the 68-D Washie but its possible.... overall pretty happy. Not great grades but I dont really care so much about grades as I do AT/NT/MA. Some really nice toners purchased raw and without any premiums so its a nice start to the weekend.

pcgs.jpg

Seems like you should post this on more appropriate boards. This is the NGC boards....... doh!

Best, HT

Seems like you should post this on more appropriate boards. This is the NGC boards....... doh!

Best, HT

I would prefer to submit these coins to NGC for grading. However I was told that a decision was made not to grade modern toners. So I really have little choice but to send them to PCGS. When NGC changes this policy I will happily send them back to NCG for grading.

Kenny I agree with you, I've seen worse in PCGS non problem holders.

Heres one in an older details holder that seems to match perfectly coins that are actually graded and are in PCGS slabs and are for sale on EBay...

Questionable Color - Toned ASE in PCGS slab...

As someone that submits (and has for submitted for years) modern toners to both PCGS and NCG I will maintain my position that PCGS is far more lenient than NGC with modern toners - thank God - otherwise no one would be grading them. :banana:

If anyone has recently submitted modern toners to NCG and have had them grade, please please post to this thread. I would love to know that they have reversed their previously held position. I saw that they have graded some rim toned ASEs with rather bland toning but I havent seen any rainbow toned recently graded NGC coins on EBay.

Kenny I agree with you, I've seen worse in PCGS non problem holders.

Heres one in an older details holder that seems to match perfectly coins that are actually graded and are in PCGS slabs and are for sale on EBay...

Questionable Color - Toned ASE in PCGS slab...

It's an older generation details holder, but it still isn't very old. The example you posted looks like classic PCI holder target toning. I would have expected it to make it, again based on past trends.

Also, I don't know if you have noticed, but the prices on these seemed to have dropped as well. While that may or may not be significant, I do wonder whether it reveals something broader about the market on these and an evolving definition of market acceptability.

Here's the 74-S Ike that I thought was AT if not at least not MA. There's some more blues/purples that I was unable to capture in the photo.

Not my favorite coin - but for Dennis King I probably wouldnt have submitted it.

I had never seen toning like this on a silver Ike before I submitted it. However I just picked up a matching 76-S Silver Proof with very similar toning thats much prettier.

Anyone else ever see anything like this on an Ike or would care to guess the cause of the toning ?

1974_SIke_Silver_PCGSMS66.jpg

These are going to PCGS next.... It will be interesting to see what PCGS does with them... I think they are NT but I dont know how MA they are (reverses on all are untoned). With the fingerprints I cant imagine they are AT.

pictures_020_002_1412886392.jpg

pictures_020_004_1412886394.jpg

pictures_020_006_1412886396.jpg

pictures_020_008_1412886399.jpg

pictures_020_010_1412886401.jpg

Hey Tonerguy. I submitted a few Moderns to NGC a couple weeks back, including 3 Washington Quarters with some nice colors. Although I didn't feel the quarters were AT, I wasn't sure if NGC would consider them MA. But they all graded, one at MS65 and the other two MS66. I also submitted a few clad Roosevelts with some wild neon colors and those graded as well. I don't have the coins back yet, but will post images as soon as I get them.

Hey Tonerguy. I submitted a few Moderns to NGC a couple weeks back, including 3 Washington Quarters with some nice colors. Although I didn't feel the quarters were AT, I wasn't sure if NGC would consider them MA. But they all graded, one at MS65 and the other two MS66. I also submitted a few clad Roosevelts with some wild neon colors and those graded as well. I don't have the coins back yet, but will post images as soon as I get them.

Excellent news !! And congrats ! Please post some pics if possible when you get them back.

I might have to not renew my PCGS membership.

I might have to not renew my PCGS membership.

This is the best thing posted all throughout this thread.

:applause:

Ah! You won those. I was bidding on them too.

Yeah and I spent more than I wanted to. And now that I have them in hand - it was worth every penny. They are far nicer than the photos. The photos dont do these coins justice. The fingerprints are hard to see in hand and the colors are more intense and the luster blazing.

However, they look more AT in hand. Even my wife looked at me and said "are these real ?" She's got a great eye for toning. lol

If these grade I will be very very happy. And it might take a couple of tries before they do. Though I dont see NGC ever putting these in plastic. I might have to send them to PCGS. I might even have to send them in under Secure.

Why not just leave the Kennedys raw? I mean you already admitted you paid more than you wanted to!

I paid more than I wanted based on the photos. Now that I have them in hand - if these are graded they are worth multiples of what I paid.

Oh OK!!! The way you got excited about them it seemed you liked them alot! Didn't realize you were selling them.

Im might or might not but my heirs definitely will and they wont fetch much in a raw state. But you already knew that...

Oh OK!!! The way you got excited about them it seemed you liked them alot! Didn't realize you were selling them.

Im might or might not but my heirs definitely will and they wont fetch much in a raw state. But you already knew that...

I hear the heir argument often. Those coins in ms64 are $6 coins. So your heirs will at least get $6!

I hear the heir argument often. Those coins in ms64 are $6 coins. So your heirs will at least get $6!

I will buy all of the JFKs that you can find that match the toning on these coins for $6 - all day, every day. You know what - I will even double that to $12 a coin. Since you have to buy them for $6 I will double your money. Post photos when you get them. Thanks.