• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS Modern Grades - 22 days.

38 posts in this topic

So they have to be toned? Does pcgs grade the toning? Do your heirs know the toning is worth more? I'm just curious. Reason I asked is to actually help you! Toned higher grade Kennedys bring a value. But I see one reason to buy those Kennedys and many reason not to buy them. Good money comes when the stars align. Grade color and lack of distractions. But you already knew that :-)

So they have to be toned? Does pcgs grade the toning? Do your heirs know the toning is worth more? I'm just curious. Reason I asked is to actually help you! Toned higher grade Kennedys bring a value. But I see one reason to buy those Kennedys and many reason not to buy them. Good money comes when the stars align. Grade color and lack of distractions. But you already knew that :-)

In the 12 yrs that I have been posting on this forum I have learned a thing or two but your opinion is always appreciated. Thank you.

In the 12 yrs that I have been posting on this forum I have learned a thing or two but your opinion is always appreciated. Thank you.

Your welcome! Glad to see I could help you out there!

Your welcome! Glad to see I could help you out there!

Yes I would be lost without you. I will now and forever celebrate 09/06/10 as a pivotal day in my life. Thank you.

Make sure to tell the graders about your seniority on a chat forum! You have an invoice of coins dating from 1972-1981and a weighted average of MS65 with one body bag. I honestly just wanted to help you! But I now know that help is not need on your behalf! Good luck on that submission!

Tonerguy, here are the coins I was telling you about earlier in the thread. Now that I have them back, seems like the toning wasn't as "suspicious" as I remember.

1968-DRoosie_zpscbe46c46.jpg

1968Washie_zpse6875c8c.jpg

1968-DWashie_zps76a6fba7.jpg

1970Washie_zpscb91c338.jpg

Tonerguy, here are the coins I was telling you about earlier in the thread. Now that I have them back, seems like the toning wasn't as "suspicious" as I remember.

1968-DRoosie_zpscbe46c46.jpg

1968Washie_zpse6875c8c.jpg

1968-DWashie_zps76a6fba7.jpg

1970Washie_zpscb91c338.jpg

Those arent suspicious. Actually when NGC called and told me they were no grading all 13 coins because they werent grading modern toners at that point... many of them had colorful but very MA Dansco toning. Much like the coins you have posted.

I was stunned by their decision and they were well aware of the fact that they were no grading coins that they had previously graded without issue.

Its a relief to see that they are once again grading coins that are obviously NT and MA. Thank you for posting up the photos.

Here's the 74-S Ike that I thought was AT if not at least not MA. There's some more blues/purples that I was unable to capture in the photo.

Not my favorite coin - but for Dennis King I probably wouldnt have submitted it.

I had never seen toning like this on a silver Ike before I submitted it. However I just picked up a matching 76-S Silver Proof with very similar toning thats much prettier.

Anyone else ever see anything like this on an Ike or would care to guess the cause of the toning ?

1974_SIke_Silver_PCGSMS66.jpg

I would guess old PCI slab

I have seen similar toning pattern occasionally on 90% silver with mostly 1 side affected.

Not sure if because of planchet wash or dipping residue or ???