• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your trophy coins!

107 posts in this topic

I think when someone who ask's what's your trophy coin, it's a coin that someone who has been looking for that's hard to find and if found can either make or break the bank. That being said, I broke the bank and got this one coin that might be a rare modern but it's my trophy coin indeed.?

D34F7C81-9495-4CB8-93C5-2767F05B5768_zpsb5ytbbdv.jpg

52BCECC5-351C-426D-947A-FB7D1A3C3DDE_zpsptgsvpjn.jpg

I think when someone who ask's what's your trophy coin, it's a coin that someone who has been looking for that's hard to find and if found can either make or break the bank. That being said, I broke the bank and got this one coin that might be a rare modern but it's my trophy coin indeed.?

Now Im going to have to check every 71-S proof Ike I have.... wow. Nice.

With respect to World Colonial's opinion, my trophy coin is the 1911-D indian quarter eagle. I worked hard to get it and I enjoyed completing my set. With only 55,000 minted it's very rare and I bought this particular specimen in part because I loved the strong D compared to other AU58's I found.

150366.jpg.d37f77c12d94516ba51fb0faad7163ba.jpg

150367.jpg.403b2463a802695538514a36ffd08d84.jpg

I was watching that for quite some time. Couldnt justify the price to myself. Nice pickup

I was watching that for quite some time. Couldnt justify the price to myself. Nice pickup

Thanks, I actually met Jim(segoja) with JMS Coins @ the PNNA coin show in Portland yesterday. The funny thing about it was that I went to each booth asking for any NGC Cert. Blue & Brown Ikes and no one had any, but they had plenty of uncert's with them and some never seen them cert. and of course I brought a few with me to show off. I finally walk to Jim's booth and seen a couple of Ike's with CAC stickers. I asked to see them and how much they were. He showed them to me and I showed him what I had. I told him that I was looking for one particular coin in the U.S. Mint Sealed case and that its so rare that I've only seen one picture on eBay. He told me that he might have what I was looking for and I said yeah right I don't believe you. Jim brought the coin out and my jaw dropped to the floor. needless to say we worked out a deal and I became the new owner of this coin. I felt like a child opening up a present on Christmas day. The funniest thing about this was I didn't even know who he was and I did call him about this coin a couple of months ago but somehow he couldn't get back to me.

Even I have to smile at this one. :grin:

Are you under British Rule by chance?

Serious question.

Sorry, I don't understand the context of your question. But if you will clarify, I will give it my best shot.

I know that some won't consider this piece market acceptable, but I like it and I bought it. I also wouldn't consider it a trophy coin, but here goes:

1946_WLHalf_PCGS_MS65_black_composite_label_zpscd33b3ce.jpg

The photographs were provided to my by the seller. I believe they were taken by Brandon .

Here are a few more that I wouldn't consider trophy coin status, but I like them very much and thus feel they fall within the spirit of this thread. The photography was done by Shane.

1923 NGC MS63* Peace Dollar

1923PeaceDollarCombined_zpsd4264b35.jpg

1958-D PCGS MS66 FBL Toned Half Dollar -

55_True_View_zps816d441a.jpg

1885-O PCGS MS64 Morgan Dollar

68comb2_zps9bd1cc67.jpg

With respect to World Colonial's opinion, my trophy coin is the 1911-D indian quarter eagle. I worked hard to get it and I enjoyed completing my set. With only 55,000 minted it's very rare and I bought this particular specimen in part because I loved the strong D compared to other AU58's I found.

In my prior reply, I wasn't singling this coin out. I was using it as an example and might have even confused it with the half eagle which is somewhat scarcer.

The point I tried to make on this subject is the same one I made in a prior thread about rarity and scarcity. As I mentioned in that thread, as far as I am concerned, US collectors in the aggregate have completely lost context on what rarity actually means and given the sentiments expressed here, I hold exactly the same opinion about the definition of "trophy".

For the term to really mean anything, I don't see that it makes any sense whatsoever that thousands if not tens of thousands of coins quality or potentially qualify if it is to be used with any real distinction.

Apparently, this term doesn't mean anything to others like I thought it did. When I think of a trophy, it is for ULTRA ELITE coins per the examples I gave which yes, I knew from the beginning was somewhat stricter than general opinion. But apparently, my usage is multiple orders of magnitude above the consensus. By my reckoning, maybe there are 50 coins in the entire US series of about 7500 which are trophy.

I can understand that you are proud of your set and contrary to what anyone here might believe, I am not trying to discount any particular collector's pride of ownership.

I can see that what the OP really wanted to do was just take another opportunity to "showcase" the better coins in everyone's collection and there certainly is nothing wrong with that. I don't have any pictures but here are links to two of mine from the seller:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peru/ferdinand-vi-pillar-real-1757-jm-km52-ms62-ngc-a-choice-coin-with-virtually-full-mint-brilliance-and-very-light-toning-r/a/410-17384.s

http://www.goldbergcoins.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/19/lot/49340/from/won/

My feeling and understanding of the reason for this thread as pertained to the meaning of "your trophy" coin is just that, Your trophy coin(s).

I don't think the OP is referring to the elitist's definition. Just as there are national and world trophies in sports and other activities, there are also trophies for local, club and other less "glamorous" venues.

Obviously not everyone on these boards has one of the 50 world class trophies you refer too, but they do have coins they consider their trophies.

I don't think the OP is referring to the elitist's definition. Just as there are national and world trophies in sports and other activities, there are also trophies for local, club and other less "glamorous" venues.

Good analogy and I understand what you mean which is what I stated in my last paragraph. But even though I knew and know that other's did not share my opinion, what you are describing is exactly what exists in other fields of life today and supports the point I was trying to make. In sports, at least some recreational leagues apparently (or so I have heard) award a trophy to every team just for participating. Does that make sense? I will leave that to everyone else to decide for themselves.

In my prior reply, I wasn't singling this coin out. I was using it as an example and might have even confused it with the half eagle which is somewhat scarcer.

The point I tried to make on this subject is the same one I made in a prior thread about rarity and scarcity. As I mentioned in that thread, as far as I am concerned, US collectors in the aggregate have completely lost context on what rarity actually means and given the sentiments expressed here, I hold exactly the same opinion about the definition of "trophy".

For the term to really mean anything, I don't see that it makes any sense whatsoever that thousands if not tens of thousands of coins quality or potentially qualify if it is to be used with any real distinction.

Apparently, this term doesn't mean anything to others like I thought it did. When I think of a trophy, it is for ULTRA ELITE coins per the examples I gave which yes, I knew from the beginning was somewhat stricter than general opinion. But apparently, my usage is multiple orders of magnitude above the consensus. By my reckoning, maybe there are 50 coins in the entire US series of about 7500 which are trophy.

I can understand that you are proud of your set and contrary to what anyone here might believe, I am not trying to discount any particular collector's pride of ownership.

I can see that what the OP really wanted to do was just take another opportunity to "showcase" the better coins in everyone's collection and there certainly is nothing wrong with that. I don't have any pictures but here are links to two of mine from the seller:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/peru/ferdinand-vi-pillar-real-1757-jm-km52-ms62-ngc-a-choice-coin-with-virtually-full-mint-brilliance-and-very-light-toning-r/a/410-17384.s

Hmm, when most of the folks on the boards disagree with your view on what the word 'trophy' means, you come back and tell us "US collectors in the aggregate have completely lost context on what rarity actually means and given the sentiments expressed here, I hold exactly the same opinion about the definition of "trophy"."

Er ah, no one here has lost any context for anything. Many simply don't agree with your opinion on what the definition of trophy is with respect to numismatics.

Here is my definition:

Numismatic trophy - a coin owned by collector that was hard earned and that said collector is proud to own and to have acquired, and that said said collector enjoys.

No context about rarity, price, or anything else. Just something that makes a collector proud and that said collector is having fun with.

Best, HT

Portrait on the Ike dollar looks like my brother -- with out the beard and without the hair and without the leer.....

Hmm, when most of the folks on the boards disagree with your view on what the word 'trophy' means, you come back and tell us "US collectors in the aggregate have completely lost context on what rarity actually means and given the sentiments expressed here, I hold exactly the same opinion about the definition of "trophy"."

Er ah, no one here has lost any context for anything. Many simply don't agree with your opinion on what the definition of trophy is with respect to numismatics.

Here is my definition:

Numismatic trophy - a coin owned by collector that was hard earned and that said collector is proud to own and to have acquired, and that said said collector enjoys.

No context about rarity, price, or anything else. Just something that makes a collector proud and that said collector is having fun with.

Best, HT

I know they disagree. I already admitted that. Now what?

I know I might have accidentally side tracked this thread with an innocent question, so I am trying to bring it back.

Here is a coin that I like although some won't. The coin isn't scarce because of its date, grade, or variety; rather it is scarce for its proof like designation and only a handful of designated coins exist for the entire series. What might look like liquid on the reverse is a reflection from elements left over from the die clash. The coin even has slight cameo contrast.

1833 NGC MS62 BN PL 1/2c

01_obv_SC_zps10b2dd9b.jpg

01_rev_SC_zpsd47e2a89.jpg

Thanks, I actually met Jim(segoja) with JMS Coins @ the PNNA coin show in Portland yesterday. The funny thing about it was that I went to each booth asking for any NGC Cert. Blue & Brown Ikes and no one had any, but they had plenty of uncert's with them and some never seen them cert. and of course I brought a few with me to show off. I finally walk to Jim's booth and seen a couple of Ike's with CAC stickers. I asked to see them and how much they were. He showed them to me and I showed him what I had. I told him that I was looking for one particular coin in the U.S. Mint Sealed case and that its so rare that I've only seen one picture on eBay. He told me that he might have what I was looking for and I said yeah right I don't believe you. Jim brought the coin out and my jaw dropped to the floor. needless to say we worked out a deal and I became the new owner of this coin. I felt like a child opening up a present on Christmas day. The funniest thing about this was I didn't even know who he was and I did call him about this coin a couple of months ago but somehow he couldn't get back to me.

It all works out in the end. I guess youre destined to be the #1 on that set. I'm still looking to upgrade my 73 to PF69UCAM or my 71, 72, 74 to MS67

Some very nice trophies throughout.

:)

I've wanted one of these in a problem free holder since I first started learning about coins:

Henry_Laibstain_1812_1C_Combo.jpg

My feeling and understanding of the reason for this thread as pertained to the meaning of "your trophy" coin is just that, Your trophy coin(s).

Obviously not everyone on these boards has one of the 50 world class trophies you refer too, but they do have coins they consider their trophies.

Bob you are absolutely correct. And, I'm waiting to see some of those spectacular coins of yours!

Also, feel free to post YOUR trophy coins that are no longer in your possession.

Here's a research trophy:

France1848Maz-1242sm_zps908bacad.jpg

This gold pattern has served its research purpose will soon have a new home.

Bob you are absolutely correct. And, I'm waiting to see some of those spectacular coins of yours!

Also, feel free to post YOUR trophy coins that are no longer in your possession.

+1

His website is full of amazing quality coins.

It all works out in the end. I guess youre destined to be the #1 on that set. I'm still looking to upgrade my 73 to PF69UCAM or my 71, 72, 74 to MS67

that's what I thought too. sent in a request to change registry score on the coin. hoping they change it. now I'm on the hunt for 71' MS 66/67, 73' 66/67 & 71' FS-801 DDR. I think I'll have better luck in finding the blue Ike's before I find the FS-801.