• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your trophy coins!

107 posts in this topic

This is essentially a thread from ATS. I'm sure that we've all seen some of the trophy coins here and we'll expect the standard posts from Boiler and Bill Jones (museum quality coins). But I know that we have others here who don't post all the time or at all ATS and it would be wonderful to see those coins showed off here.

I know for a fact that we have some very impressive and rare coins on this side of the street. That being said I don't think I have anything that would be considered a trophy but I will post a couple to the thread that I consider MY TROPHIES!

I own very attractive uber high grade coins. With that said this coin is my trophy coin. I don't care that its not mint state. On a good year 2 problem free examples of this coin will come to market. Its not an easy coin to find at all

1797 13 StarsDSC02756_zps79ffcace.jpg

DSC02757.jpg

Not to be difficult, but how do you define trophy coin? I have several coins that I am very fond of and that I believe to be desirable, but I am not sure that I would consider them as trophy coins. I would reserve that term for a very small percentage of the coins listed ATS (think of Boiler and Bill Jones) even though there are several pieces posted over there that I like and would buy in a heartbeat.

Not to be difficult, but how do you define trophy coin? I have several coins that I am very fond of and that I believe to be desirable, but I am not sure that I would consider them as trophy coins. I would reserve that term for a very small percentage of the coins listed ATS (think of Boiler and Bill Jones) even though there are several pieces posted over there that I like and would buy in a heartbeat.

Its subjective but to me, it is the same definition applied to another non-numismatic field by a famous judge many years ago, as in I know one when I see one. I don't believe there are hardly any trophy coins in the numismatic universe and this includes those that are very expensive which in US coinage includes most in the seven figures.

By my standards, the 1822 half eagle, any 1804 dollar and higher grade (not those in lower grades) 1794 dollars are trophy coins. Among those I collect, the rarest pillars such as the 1772 Mexico 8R or the 1931 South Africa Union circulation silver in high grades.

None of the coins I own are trophy coins and the better coins I have seen posted on this forum and PCGS I would define as aspirational.

None of the coins I own are trophy coins and the better coins I have seen posted on this forum and PCGS I would define as aspirational.

I like your terminology, and I think I am going to borrow your new coinage (pun intended).! ;)

I like your terminology, and I think I am going to borrow your new coinage (pun intended).! ;)

Thanks, my viewpoint is the opposite of many or even most collectors. I tend to rate most coins much lower than practically everyone else, whether I collect them or not. I admit that sometimes my comments are harsh, but its because most of the time I believe that others have grossly inflated opinions of a very large number of prominent and not so-prominent coins, just because they are worth a lot of money or are registry set quality. I find this particularly self-serving by those who make a big deal of these coins to try to convince others which I believe is mostly to inflate their prices.

Just because a coin is scarce or rare doesn't mean the coin is a big deal, regardless of what it is worth or what it looks like. If that is what supposedly makes a coin so significant or so desirable, I see nothing of significance about it and much less desirability in it also.

To give you a few examples, many US patterns are rare because they were "made rare". There are dozens or hundreds of issues in this series with a very low mintage and many of them were also made as part of a profit making scheme by US Mint employees (or so I have heard) or at least under questionable circumstances. Yes, I admit they "look nice" and are unique or unusual in this sense, but there really isn't anything that significant about them. There are after all, over 2000 US patterns.

The same applies to any number of US die varieties and some that I think of as errors though maybe they aren't. If you post on PCGS (I do not but read it), you may remember that thread which included that "no S" proof Eisenhower dollar which is unique or believed to be so. I don't believe there is anything significant about a coin like that just I as stated so for the 1975 "no S" proof dime here. Another coin which I think is over rated is the 1817/4 Bust half. I know that it is the "holy grail" of this series but don't really see anything significant about it either, even though I like these coins generically.

In my series, collectors on the BidorBuy Forum have repeatedly made a big deal about their (South African) coins just because they are in higher grades or "conditional rarities", even though these coins don't look much better than those slightly lower in the census. Having posted there for five years, I know that the lopsided motivation is rampant "cheer leading" to attempt to convince those who know less or little about coins that they should be worth more. I regularly "burst their bubble" and make no apologies for doing so.

Just an FYI: The thread ATS uses a definition from Doug Winters' article published back on May 14, 2014. The thread ATS is pretty old...so the connection to Doug's original article definition "trophy" has been a bit lost over time.

Just an FYI: The thread ATS uses a definition from Doug Winters' article published back on May 14, 2014. The thread ATS is pretty old...so the connection to Doug's original article definition "trophy" has been a bit lost over time.

I remember that article. By this definition, there are thousands of potential "trophy" coins in US coinage alone. The coins he profiled as examples use a very liberal definition of the term.

Feel free to post your aspirational coins as well!

Well in thast case ... I'm in.

I wouldn't mind owning a real one of these instead of a restrike, in about the same condition.

1961_Fugio_Restrike_White_Metal.jpg

Coindude, After reading World Colonial's view, I realized that nothing in my collection is worthy of such a definition. :facepalm:

Having said that tho', I believe a trophy coin is whatever anyone wishes to define it. Hence, we all have many trophy coins in our collections that were hard earned, hard to get, and wonderful to own, so I will reconsider posting to this thread. After all, numismatics is supposed to be fun! And frankly, I feel that World Colonial's view is kind of a downer and somewhat negative for enjoying numismatics.

Nice trophy Mercury Raise2 - it has everything a stunner should have, strong strike, rich toning and surfaces and is very PQ! (thumbs u

Best, HT

All three of these below are what I consider to be Trophy coins/tokens in my collection. Super rare and hard to find? Well no... But certainly beauties all.

1831qtrNGCAU55_zps8ea241a8.jpg

1856-OhalfPCGSMS64CAC2_zpsaa333523.jpg

HT-22PCGSMS65RB_zps4b8b58ae.jpg

Coindude, After reading World Colonial's view, I realized that nothing in my collection is worthy of such a definition. :facepalm:

Having said that tho', I believe a trophy coin is whatever anyone wishes to define it. Hence, we all have many trophy coins in our collections that were hard earned, hard to get, and wonderful to own, so I will reconsider posting to this thread. After all, numismatics is supposed to be fun! And frankly, I feel that World Colonial's view is kind of a downer and somewhat negative for enjoying numismatics.

I like the coins I collect as much as anyone else likes theirs. I like the coins you posted and many others in this thread. And no, obviously, I don't have the final word on what everyone else defines as a trophy. I recognize that others consider many coins to have this classification that I do not.

To go back to the examples in Doug Winter's article, I don't think the 1796 no stars quarter eagle is a trophy coin but I agree that most or all US collectors do and I definitely consider it a significant coin, just not as significant as most everyone else.

On the other hand, I don't see why anyone would consider the 1907 HR Saint or 1911-D quarter eagle to be one or consider them significant either. They just cost a lot of money, so most cannot afford them. I know the first coin is in high demand and very popular but its common and anyone who has the money can buy one at will. I don't see why any coin like this is held in such high esteem at all, regardless of what it looks like.

Having said this, I don't consider myself a pessimist, though apparently that is how you (and maybe many others here) see it.

There is a balance between liking coins and over promoting their merits which is exactly what I believe is disproportionately done with a lot of coins that don't deserve it. I don't believe the posts here are all that bad or biased, but those on the BidorBuy Forum definitely are and in saying this, just consider that I collect South Africa myself.

Anyway, nice coins and thanks for your comments.

Ron_zps65e5ba50.jpg

Aspirational Trophy l :fear:

d9426d8b-6961-4b17-84d0-7166ab91f1d9_zps165f8a38.jpg

Ron_zps65e5ba50.jpg

Aspirational Trophy l :fear:

d9426d8b-6961-4b17-84d0-7166ab91f1d9_zps165f8a38.jpg

A floppy disk is a little outdated don't u think :lol:

I HAVE MORE THAN ONE TROPHY TO SHARE! One is a coin, the other is a 5 point bull I was fortunate enough to get on opening morning of the Elk hunt.

Here is my trophy coin trophy for 2014.

20140924_172658-1_zps1ff837d3.jpg

Here is my 2014 October trophy so far....

20141004_130128_zps90a65cec.jpg

My younger brother collects trophies....he has several in different cities....but will have to ask him about coins. (He's a traveling salesman: He sells cell phones by the sea shore.)

back-rub.jpg

...he used to sell salt cellars in Seattle on Saturdays.

AH - did the elk come that way or did it once have a body?