• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kennedy Bicentennial

12 posts in this topic

Checked cointracker: KENNEDY 1976 half dollar in poor condition minimum of $2.00 one in perfect condition worth $2.50 or more. 1973 Kennedy minimum of 2.50 in poor condition, in perfect condition $2.75 or more. NGC is based on MS. I don't understand this I thought they were only worth the fv. These contain no silver. Since I have "pocket change" if they are worth at least two dollars, why would I spend them for cash if they are worth more that fv? Please helo

you should purchase (or maybe checkout from library) a redbook - has information on grading, different coins, major errors, tons of coin info.

many guides are high with their values - if you are trying to sell you need someone willing to buy at that price - you will look awhile to find someone willing to pay $2 for a circulated bicentennial half'

It takes time and money to put coins in holders and mark them with the date and mint mark and perhaps a grade. It takes even more time and money to send a coin off to grading service. Therefore such pieces will have prices above their face value even though they are only worth their face value. You can hunt them up yourself, but then it would be YOUR time taken to do it, which you might enjoy.

I've paid "too much" for modern coins in slabs simply to maintain a 100% complete number on my registry sets. I bought the PR-69 coins that "flunked" (did not make PR-70) sometimes at a price that was at or below the grading fees. Despite that the coins are still not worth what I paid for them.

Thank you for responding. I have "A GUIDE BOOK OF UNITED STATES COINS" 66th edition 2013. I get confused going from book to website, from website to books. sigh....I had these coins ready to cash at the bank and I saw some more information about the bicentennial so I unwrapped the coins and now what? ..sigh

I actually just won an ebay auction tonight, uncirculated bicentennial quarter with toning for .99c with .99c shipping. To me, at this price, would not be worthwhile. The seller got $1.98 not counting what ebay and paypal will take. Doesn't seem worth the time to me.

Why would you buy it? Was it for the toning that you wanted to add to your collection or what? Just asking to learn...

First off, no one had bid on it. I only bid the starting price of .99. Didn't really care if I got outbid or not. It's going to replace a cleaned coin sitting in my Dansco album.

Is it possible to find someone willing to pay that amount?

Yes. There are always new collectors coming along and from time to time a newbie who doesn't have one may run into your sale offer and buy one. You might expect to sell one every few months. Take five years or so to sell a roll. You see why I call it a dealer nuisance fee? He's going to supply a collectors need, but he isn't going to make any money at it. He would make more money by spending them and using the money to buy items that generate a larger profit margin.