• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's time to retire by Mohawk

9 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Something I didn't really think I'd say at 34......

Hello all,

I haven't been on here in quite a while......lots of things have changed in my life very quickly over the past month and a half, and it's caused me to re-evaluate some of the things I've been doing in my life up to this point. It hasn't been anything really horrible, these changes. I'm not sick, nor is anyone in my family, thank God! Things are just new and different, mostly in a good way.

One of the things I've looked at was how I was pursuing my participation in this wonderful hobby of ours. I've been thinking a lot about this, and I've realized some things I was doing that maybe weren't so good. I realized that there were coins that I liked, but I wasn't pursuing them because I didn't think they'd work well as a Registry Set. I also realized that I was ignoring nice circulated coins, because they wouldn't be as good on the Registry. I was depriving myself of pursuing some coins that I really enjoy, such as Indian Cents, because I felt that they weren't "exotic" enough to be a part of my Registry collecting. Mainly, what I've realized is that the Registry, which started out as so much fun and excitement, has reached a point with me where it's become not very good for me.

So my friends, I've decided to retire from the Registry here on NGC at least temporarily and possibly for good. I need to get back to the basics with coins, back to the classical way of things with some good old Dansco and Whitman albums and some beautiful circulated coins. I need to get back to who I was back when I started out with coins in a serious manner in 1999, and this is the way for me to do this. I'll likely be taking down my sets here over the next little while to make way for those who are actively pursuing Registry participation. The last thing I want to do is allow my sets to become some of those irritating "zombie sets" that we all adore so much!

In closing, my time here has truly been wonderful. I've met some amazing people, both collectors and people at NGC, and learned so much from all of you. I wouldn't trade these things for the world. In closing, thank you all for everything over the past few years and best of luck and continued success to all of you as you go forward with all of your goals in life, not just those in numismatics.

Best Regards and Farewell(at least for now),

~Tom

See more journals by Mohawk

Best of Luck to you, Tom!

I can sort of see your point. But even though you are 'retiring' from the Registry, don't feel that you can't still participate on these chat boards.

Stop by any time. :)

Best of Luck to you, Tom!

I can sort of see your point. But even though you are 'retiring' from the Registry, don't feel that you can't still participate on these chat boards.

Stop by any time. :)

Ditto

Tom

We're gonna miss you around here and the progress you have made with your Ottoman coins. I have always felt that you put together the most elite collection of these coins that exist.

I hope this doesn't mean that you will be selling those coins. Whether they are in a registry set or not they will always be the finest collection of those coins. In fact you're right, coins don't have to be in the registry to be a collection.

I know where you are coming from and I agree, there is just something fun about filling holes in Dansco albums with circulated coins. Several years ago I filled an album with circulated Mercury Dimes and thoroughly enjoyed looking through circulated lots of coins to plug the holes. Enjoy the the hunt as non-registry collector.

Gary

I realized that there were coins that I liked, but I wasn't pursuing them because I didn't think they'd work well as a Registry Set. I also realized that I was ignoring nice circulated coins, because they wouldn't be as good on the Registry. I was depriving myself of pursuing some coins that I really enjoy, such as Indian Cents, because I felt that they weren't "exotic" enough to be a part of my Registry collecting.

It always warms my heart to see someone decide to abandon certain aspects of the hobby and get back to actually collecting the coins.

I look forward to seeing some of the future pickups you make and highlight them in the journal or the message board somewhere. More than likely I will find them to be much more exciting than just another label with a high number on it.

Good Luck!! ;)

Tom,

I have a couple registry sets, but my main reason for having them is not the pursuit of points. I will admit, it's nice to add a coin to my sets that garner a lot of registry points, but it's not my motivation for purchasing the coin.

I use the registry to keep track of my coins in an organized fashion. I have an excel spreadsheet that tracks all my purchases, but it's not the same as having them in the registry.

Perhaps you can keep your registry, but just change your thinking as to why you are purchasing the coin.

Good luck to you either way. I love the fact there is no right or wrong way to build a personal collection. Buy what you like! The only person who needs to be happy with your collection is yourself.

I don't think I'll ever complete an entire set. I love big silver dollars, but there are also some many other interesting coin designs, both foreign and domestic, that I like. I would define my collecting style as haphazzard and ecclectic.

Joe

'Til next time, Tom!

The registry is not for everyone. Since it doesn't cover older world silver crowns other than 8 reales, I've been working on a custom set to show them off. Hope to hear from you soon.

~jack