• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Hey please check these scores" Thread

283 posts in this topic

I have been working on my 1963 mint set and proof set and I have notice a problem with the scores of some of these coins.

A 1963 Cent in MS67RD only scores 237 points with a tiny population of 4 existing. But a 1963-D Half Dollar in MS66FBL scores 1928 points with a population of 16.

The 1963 Cent in MS67RD needs the score adjusted. I will leave the final score of this coin to you - the expert. PCGS says the 1963 Cent in MS67RD is worth $5,000 whereas the 1963-D Half Dollar in MS66FBL is only worth $2,000. Thanks for your time.

1273032-1963NGC01cMS67RD-TAG.jpg.c8f0e83fc76a43122f1c42d444256d04.jpg

I just had a thought cross my mind. While you're checking into the 1963 Cent in MS67RD, why don't you go ahead and check all the other coins in the 1963 mint set, and the 1963 proof set. Please make sure that the scores on all of these coins in all grades are in line and correct for the current scarcity, value, and demand. Thanks.

Why is the values the same for the 1938-D/D as the 1938-D/S Buffalo Nickels? The D/S costs at least twice as much as a D/D.

Yes, I personally have used the score change request form twice. I have never gotten any indication that anything was being done about the descrepancy in the scores of the 1963 dated coins. Specifically, the 1963 cent in MS67RD (pop 4) scored 237, but the 1963-D Half in MS66FBL (pop 16) scores 1,928. I'll tell you what, I will go ahead and use the score change request form 10-15 times a day until something gets done about it. Would it help to keep this subject at the top of the stack?

• Administrator
Yes, I personally have used the score change request form twice. I have never gotten any indication that anything was being done about the descrepancy in the scores of the 1963 dated coins. Specifically, the 1963 cent in MS67RD (pop 4) scored 237, but the 1963-D Half in MS66FBL (pop 16) scores 1,928. I'll tell you what, I will go ahead and use the score change request form 10-15 times a day until something gets done about it. Would it help to keep this subject at the top of the stack?

While the sets are largely consistent across denominations and sets, they are not always consistent simply because the administrative time involved in being completely consistent across sets that don't compete with each other isn't worth it. So primarily we strive for sets to be internally consistent rather than externally.

Aside from that, the score on a coin is definitely not based purely off of the population report. The relative rarity of the coin is decided including many factors and ultimately a score is assigned. Part of the equation will be, for instance, price. So even if the pop report showed a particular coin as rarer, if the market wasn't there for it, ultimately that would be a factor in determining its score against another coin that is more vigorously collected.

For instance

That half with 16 in the pop report is priced by NumisMedia at $1,750 with a score of 1,928

But here's a Morgan dollar 1884 CC in MSDPL. It has a population of 32 in MS66 with 3 higher, but a NumisMedia value of $4,750 and 3,009 points. So in this case there are far more examples out there in this grade range, and yet there is still a stronger relative rarity because it's apparently pursued more.

Of course, price is not the only consideration in point determination, but neither is population.

Does that mean the score you are point out is right? No. It could very well need adjustment. I'm just pointing out that there's more to points than pop.

I realize that it is not proper to argue, but you seem to have missed a major part of my score change request. PCGS shows the 1963 Cent in MS67RD is worth $5,000 (NGC pop 4, score 237) whereas the 1963-D Half Dollar in MS66FBL is only worth $2,000 (NGC pop 16, score 1928).

Why would the Cent score less than 1/8 of the score of the half dollar, even though it is worth 2.5x the money and has 1/4 the population?

PCGS shows the 1963 Cent in MS67RD is valued at $5,000 (NGC pop 4, score 237) whereas the 1963-D Half Dollar in MS66FBL is only worth $2,000 (NGC pop 16, score 1928).

Why would the Cent score less than 1/8 of the score of the half dollar, even though it is worth 2.5x the money and has 1/4 the population?

I am probably missing the point but someone keeps mentioning the PCGS website says this.... this is NOT the PCGS website!! PCGS prices are now, have always been and probably always will be...over-priced. NGC's own site uses Numismedia pricing which is more in line with real world practice.

Not trying to be snooty, but if you want PCGS pricing considered in your points... go join the PCGS registry.

I have joined the PCGS Registry. That is where I got the values from. NGC doesn't show a value for an MS67 1963 cent - too busy or too lazy. The point I am trying to make is this:

The 1963 Cent in MS67RD is PCGS valued at $5,000 (NGC pop 4, score 237) whereas the 1963-D Half Dollar in MS66FBL is only PCGS valued at $2,000 (NGC pop 16, score 1928).

I feel that my NGC registry set is not ranked properly because of this and other discrepancies in the 1963 coins. They give huge scores for coins that are less popular and easier to get, but they give tiny little scores for coins that are impossible to obtain but are in incredibly high demand. This doesn't make sense to me and I want to get some results. So I'll keep trying to twist their ears until someone finally hears me and does something about this.

The 1832 bust half in EF45 gets 288 points accross the board with respect to Overton number.

The Overton 117, which my coin is, is a Rarity 4+. Can the numbers be adjusted for this? And for other Busties based on populations for a particular Overton number?

Thank you

Michael

The 1963 Cent in MS67RD is PCGS valued at $5,000 (NGC pop 4, score 237) whereas the 1963-D Half Dollar in MS66FBL is only PCGS valued at $2,000 (NGC pop 16, score 1928).

I feel that my NGC registry set is not ranked properly because of this and other discrepancies in the 1963 coins. They give huge scores for coins that are less popular and easier to get, but they give tiny little scores for coins that are impossible to obtain but are in incredibly high demand. This doesn't make sense to me and I want to get some results. So I'll keep trying to twist their ears until someone finally hears me and does something about this.

1362149-1963NGC01cMS67RD-TAG.jpg.8ba11c06e7d80f7690e160d68aaf07ed.jpg

HELLO!?!?!?!? IS THERE ANYONE HOME????? PLEASE ANSWER MY LIGITIMATE QUESTIONS WITH LIGITIMATE ANSWERS.

You may just be the biggest spoon hole I've ever met.

Because it can!

He thinks he is on a PCGS Chat board and acts like it - Thats is why he has the spoon-hole-ish attitude I think. Is that a word ? Points mean nothing my friend - just shuddup and enjoy your coins and ( IF YOU HAVE POSTED PICTURES ) let others enjoy them with you.As a metter of fact I dont even see you in the registry ... incognito under a different name ..

g-day

You have never met me. You have never talked with me. You don't know anything about me. Please explain what it is that makes you think I am the biggest spoon hole you have never met.

Let me rephrase: You are the biggest spoon hole I've had the pleasure not to meet. hi.gif

I'm not sure why you are wasting your time (and mine) with this un-provoked personal attack. My posts are intended for the people in charge of the NGC Registry. My posts have nothing at all to do with you or your un-informed opinion of me, or the size of my "spoon hole". If you have constructive comments or opinions, by all means, feel free to reply. But if all you are trying to do is ruffle feathers, you would be doing all of us a big favor by not bothering. Maybe you could find something else to do away from your computor to take up your time.

Look under the 1963 mint and proof set catagories. I have ligitimate concerns about descrepancies in the scores of these sets, and I am trying to get the attention of the people in charge of these scores. I can't seem to get the attention of anyone except you losers with nothing better to do than sit at their computor and screw with people. I'm really not interested in your opinion of me, or my collecting style. You do it your way, and I will do it mine.

I dont even think you have a SET here .. so shut up OR show yer stuff

INCOGNITO person with NO SET on NGC

You are, without a doubt, the rudest S.O.B. I have ever communicated with on this forum. In the catagory "MInt Sets 1934-1964", I have two different 1963 sets listed as LEONARD FAMILY - 1963. One for my NGC coins, and one for my PCGS coins. Also, in the catagory "Proof Sets 1936-1964", I have two other 1963 sets listed as LEONARD FAMILY - 1963. One for my NGC coins, and one for my PCGS coins. There, I put up. Now you need to shut-up.

leonard ,are you a paid subscriber to NGC. If you are Numismedia should show you a price in the NGC Registry.

As for the points you have to ask NGC about checking the points.

Hope this helps. grin.gif

leonard ,are you a paid subscriber to NGC. If you are Numismedia should show you a price in the NGC Registry.

As for the points you have to ask NGC about checking the points.

Hope this helps. grin.gif

I'm not a paid subscriber to Numismedia, but I have contacted them and they said they don't have a price for a 1963 cent in MS67RD because it has such a low population in that grade and it rarely (if ever) shows up in auctions. I am not concerned about the value, but I am concerned about the NGC score assigned. I have asked, and asked, and asked NGC about the score. But I have not had anyone respond except ARCHITECT, and he just gave me the generic excuse that scores are very difficult to assign accurately. This isn't good enough for me, so I will keep trying to get this corrected. Thanks anyway.

Zach .. your as bad as across the street .. maybe better heheh

My Final words the the Leonard family " WHO CARES " make a request and wait your turn like everyone else