• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Population 2

20 posts in this topic

I bought this coin at ANA and sent it off for consideration by CAC. The advantage of learning about your series and learning how to grade it, the nuances of surface, strike, luster, originality, etc., and what is good and what is not is that you get to a point where 'you know'. This coin, for the grade was simply the real deal, and to me it was obvious as soon I as saw in hand, within 10 seconds I knew, and thus whatever the price was, really did not matter. I suppose that TPG graders can do this as well, for some reason the one series I have proficiency in in liberty quarter eagles. (shrug) . And it is rare to boot. However, given how picky (word on the street) JA et al. is, about gold you just never know. Nevertheless, it CACed. Two 1857-D QEs have CACed FWIW. Doug Winter estimates that 120-130 are extant. Doug also notes that the 57-D's are 'better' in overall strike than the 56-D, but the planchets are 'poor' and the eye appeal is not good, and the luster is not generally good. Perhaps this is why only 2 have CACed, both 58's(?). Don't know but this one is obvious in quality, so much so that the images you see were not modified in Photoshop at all and are as I took them.

Best, HT

1857-DEaglePCGSAU58CAC_zps4464a518.jpg

I bought this coin at ANA and sent it off for consideration by CAC. The advantage of learning about your series and learning how to grade it, the nuances of surface, strike, luster, originality, etc., and what is good and what is not is that you get to a point where 'you know'. This coin, for the grade was simply the real deal, and to me it was obvious as soon I as saw in hand, within 10 seconds I knew, and thus whatever the price was, really did not matter. I suppose that TPG graders can do this as well, for some reason the one series I have proficiency in in liberty quarter eagles. (shrug) . And it is rare to boot. However, given how picky (word on the street) JA et al. is, about gold you just never know. Nevertheless, it CACed. Two 1857-D QEs have CACed FWIW. Doug Winter estimates that 120-130 are extant. Doug also notes that the 57-D's are 'better' in overall strike than the 56-D, but the planchets are 'poor' and the eye appeal is not good, and the luster is not generally good. Perhaps this is why only 2 have CACed, both 58's(?). Don't know but this one is obvious in quality, so much so that the images you see were not modified in Photoshop at all and are as I took them.

Best, HT

1857-DEaglePCGSAU58CAC_zps4464a518.jpg

Excellent Quarter Eagle. Grade and CAC endorsement is spot on. Like the pics. Who did the pics?

Carl

Excellent Quarter Eagle. Grade and CAC endorsement is spot on. Like the pics. Who did the pics?

Carl

Thanks Carl, I did. One shot each side, no repeats. Get something this good, it makes me look like Sir Messy, Robec, Lance (keigwin), Mark Goodman, Brandon (brg), or Bluvette (Todd) and the other people really good at this, but alas it is the coin in this case, not the photographer......

Best, HT

I don't know gold at all but if this were a gtg I would go at least 64 on the obverse

I would have said 55 on reverse alone

Looks real nice I like the color

Edited to add I am on my phone and sometimes thing look different on the monitor

Thanks folks - CT 64+55=119/2=59.5 - I'll take it!! But I think the reverse appearance of 'wear' is actually the result of weak strike - this is consistent with what Doug Winter says in his book for this D QE - strike on edges of wings and eagles feet can be weak.

Coindude et al., thanks. I would much rather have something in 58 that is pq than in a 61 holder any day, I usually equate 61 with UNC with lots of bad hits.

Best, HT

Thanks folks - CT 64+55=119/2=59.5 - I'll take it!! But I think the reverse appearance of 'wear' is actually the result of weak strike - this is consistent with what Doug Winter says in his book for this D QE - strike on edges of wings and eagles feet can be weak.

Coindude et al., thanks. I would much rather have something in 58 that is pq than in a 61 holder any day, I usually equate 61 with UNC with lots of bad hits.

Best, HT

I really like AU58 for the coins that are out of my reach in > MS64

Thank you for sharing.... I am so "awe struck" at these early gold coins, (nice ones like this anyways), they are just amazingly beautiful. Good for you on this find, I imagine it feels like a great accomplishment, I certainly view it that way anyways... Finding a coin like this, and knowing through experience/learning that it is a CAC worthy coin is awesome. It demonstrates the value/importance in "training your eye" in a particular series/etc, among other things.

Chris.

Carl

Thanks Carl, I did. One shot each side, no repeats. Get something this good, it makes me look like Sir Messy, Robec, Lance (keigwin), Mark Goodman, Brandon (brg), or Bluvette (Todd) and the other people really good at this, but alas it is the coin in this case, not the photographer......

Best, HT

Don't let HT's modesty fool you, he's a very accomplished photographer and belongs in the conversation with those who he listed above.

Carl

Best, HT

Don't let HT's modesty fool you, he's a very accomplished photographer and belongs in the conversation with those who he listed above.

Sam,

Thanks, but no, I have a looong way to go....... The folks I mention nail it every time, I don't, I have much to learn. For example, I can't seem to get indian cents, don't know why but I am fearful in even showing my IC images. But the imaging side to me is just as enjoyable as any bit of collecting. Take a look at what Robec and brg have done with LEDs. Nothice how they capture the coins with these lights, I think this is the future, and I am waaaay behind.

Best, HT