• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

22 Gold ANA JFKs up on EBay from Silvertowne...

55 posts in this topic

The scuttle butt is that they most of the HOF coins that were sold at Baltimore. There is reason to believe that they got a lot of these coins too. Given the fact that the asking prices are way over the issue price they are playing this game as a major player.

I hope that they get their bowties clipped. I don't want their certified coins, and I would not pay them one brass farthing over the issue price for a raw one. Perhaps if they lose some money after pushing so many collectors aside on the lines with their paid stooges, they will pull their horns the next time and not try to job the system.

The only time I have even done business with them was when I was trying to sell some K-rands for a customer after apartite ended in South Africa. No other dealer would buy them except Silvertown.

Don't know if they got most of the coins..

I do know that I read they partnered with Kevin Lipton in the selling of the $100,000 gold kennedy - I didn't like that.

As for their eBay business - earlier this year was the first time I dealt with them. I usually buy bullion from MCM but this time SilverTowne had a nice deal on 2014 eagles.

Bought 20, paid, and then my payment was refunded 2 days later and order cancelled.

NO EXPLANATION, NO EMAIL FROM CUSTOMER SERVICE - NOTHING.

They later said that their "automatic pricing software" made an error in the listed price - even though that same price was up for 2+ days - and re-listed the item at a much higher price.

I mean, the deal was pretty good, but it wasn't an obvious error like selling a silver eagle for $3. I expected a business of this size to honor the sale - or AT LEAST to email an explanation before just canceling the sale and refunding the payment.

Not that they care, but they won't be getting any business from me anymore

Silvertown owns TVs Coin Vault. You know, the folks who sold the 100K first sold label. Yes, you can be sure that they had teams at all distribution locations.

It is a bit unusual to see them selling quantity on ebay. It might be that sales on Coin Vault at $4900 are not going well and they are sensing they may have some hot potatoes on their hands that need to be dumped before the hundred thousand others hit the market.

I never knew much about Silvertowne.... now I do.

I guess now that I know they own Coin Vault there's not much more I really need to know.

Thanks everyone.

I bought a JM 1oz silver bar from them once and they sent me a piece of junk silver round. Wasn't worth sending back and won't buy from them again.

My mistake, researched this and it was qualitypreciousmetals1 on ebay.

Well, since they partnered with Kevin Lipton in the "Actors Scam", I won't deal with them.

Not that I'd even consider $3,000+ for a coin which cost $1,240 and a label which cost $1,660 - the $100 for grading.

These folks are definitely working the streets. Just not my street.

Well, it's a free market to ask what ever they want, expect to get...but the shenanigans behind the scenes of these modern releases is becoming revolting to the hobby.

I'm really kind of curious why they just didn't make these as commemoratives having the double date and all. I could only afford the uncirculated set and feel a little robbed myself that they didn't have the double date. Looks like the mint emphasized on just making a killing on the gold. Along with the flippers.

Well, it's a free market to ask what ever they want, expect to get...but the shenanigans behind the scenes of these modern releases is becoming revolting to the hobby.

Free markets work both ways ...

You are free to ignore them ...

Free markets work both ways ...

You are free to ignore them ...

Well said. Nothing to add.

Carl

I'm really kind of curious why they just didn't make these as commemoratives having the double date and all.

i wonder myself why they didn't make these in 2013 for the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's death..

the 2014 date coin makes it a 50th anniversary to the first Kennedy coin..?? so a commemorative struck to commemorate the beginning of a coin series??

I'm really kind of curious why they just didn't make these as commemoratives having the double date and all.

i wonder myself why they didn't make these in 2013 for the 50th anniversary of Kennedy's death..

the 2014 date coin makes it a 50th anniversary to the first Kennedy coin..?? so a commemorative struck to commemorate the beginning of a coin series??

Not the first time the US Mint has issued a coin to commemorate a coin series. The 1996-W Roosevelt Dime was issued in Mint Sets that year for the 50th anniversary of the series.

Though each commemorates the beginning of a coin series, they are not really official commemoratives as the Mint only does 2 commemorative programs each year now and almost always pursuant to an Act of Congress.

Not the first time the US Mint has issued a coin to commemorate a coin series. The 1996-W Roosevelt Dime was issued in Mint Sets that year for the 50th anniversary of the series.

sorry, i find the idea of issuing a coin to commemorate a coin series plain stupid. i could understand having a small design change on the 50th anniversary, but not that..

by the way, I'm hoping these 2014 halves are the last of the series. and possibly the end of this denomination all together

so a commemorative struck to commemorate the beginning of a coin series??

Wait for it, the mint is talking about "commemoratives" to mark the centennial of the 1916 designs in 2016.

so a commemorative struck to commemorate the beginning of a coin series??

Wait for it, the mint is talking about "commemoratives" to mark the centennial of the 1916 designs in 2016.

:facepalm:

The demand for this sort of thing obviously exists, and as long as it does, and as long as the Mint realizes a benefit from the same, why would they stop?

"....so a commemorative struck to commemorate the beginning of a coin series??"

I can certainly understand the Mint's inclination to do this, as it does directly relate to their vocation.

Actually, it relates to the hobby of coin collecting, as well.

Though each commemorates the beginning of a coin series, they are not really official commemoratives as the Mint only does 2 commemorative programs each year now and almost always pursuant to an Act of Congress.

But that is distinguishable in my opinion. The only thing that differed was that it was struck at a different mint (West Point). The coin was still struck on normal composition dime planchets, and no modifications of the current design were made. The design was changed on the gold Kennedy Half Dollars from the normal 2014 design.

The demand for this sort of thing obviously exists, and as long as it does, and as long as the Mint realizes a benefit from the same, why would they stop?

The demand obviously exists? There was no demand, or need, ever for this thing.

Obviously there is now, after it was struck... There's a demand to anything the mint makes! Especially when it's a money maker for flippers.

I bet if they put a portrait of my dog on a 3/4oz gold coin and limit their sales at shows for 500 pieces + make some special labels, they will all be sold out..

Obviously the mint needs to make money, but that's not the way, in my opinion. Making the silver eagles in UNC, PR, REV PR, ENHANCED, and all the new varieties they might come up with in the future is also not a great idea. That's just my opinion.

I can certainly understand the Mint's inclination to do this, as it does directly relate to their vocation.

Actually, it relates to the hobby of coin collecting, as well.

Again, my opinion only.

I think commemorative coins should commemorate important people, events, or landmarks.

I would have no problem with a commem honoring and commemorating Kennedy, but I just don't understand a commem, commemorating a coin series. Should we expect another gold coin in 2064, commemorating the 50th anniversary of this gold kennedy?

Lincoln was born in 1809, and so the cent with his portrait was introduced in 1909, commemorating it in a way (and then the reverse design change on the 150th anniversary). That makes more sense to me

I don't know how much Leon has to do with Silvertowne these days, but many years ago I had some dealings with him and I don't have anything negative to say about him at all.

Paul

Obviously the mint needs to make money, but that's not the way, in my opinion. Making the silver eagles in UNC, PR, REV PR, ENHANCED, and all the new varieties they might come up with in the future is also not a great idea. That's just my opinion.

Agreed. It makes the series impossible to collect. I think the Mint has killed what has been its most popular issue in decades. Think about how much a full set of ASEs would cost if you were to build it from coin #1 today - Uncs & Proofs - even raw coins, forgot graded examples in PF70.

"That's just my opinion."

"Again, my opinion only."

You somehow seem to have the impression that I was attempting to deny your right to an opinion. That is not the case.

Here you seem puzzled by the Mint's decision, as indicated by the question marks, and I offered a few possible explanations.

Where do you see an attempt to deprive you of your first amendment rights?

"There's a demand to anything the mint makes!"

Here you express the same sentiment as when I stated, "The demand for this sort of thing obviously exists..."

How does this threaten your right to an opinion?

Why did you even feel a need to present a rebuttal? I did not disagree with anything you said.

"That's just my opinion."

"Again, my opinion only."

You somehow seem to have the impression that I was attempting to deny your right to an opinion. That is not the case.

Here you seem puzzled by the Mint's decision, as indicated by the question marks, and I offered a few possible explanations.

Where do you see an attempt to deprive you of your first amendment rights?

"There's a demand to anything the mint makes!"

Here you express the same sentiment as when I stated, "The demand for this sort of thing obviously exists..."

How does this threaten your right to an opinion?

Why did you even feel a need to present a rebuttal? I did not disagree with anything you said

I did not at all (shrug)

i sometimes add "this is my opinion only" or "IMO" when commenting on controversial issues cause i want to make sure others understand that in stating my opinion I'm not, in any way, try to "cancel" their opinion or say their opinions are invalid. I understand that there are different opinions on this subject, and while i understand them (mostly) i have my own opinion on it...

i did not see an attempt to deprive me of my first amendment rights, nor did i feel this threatens my right to an opinion.... i MOST DEFINITELY did NOT feel a need to present a rebuttal - where did I say that?

I don't understand how you got all this from me saying "this is my opinion only". you read too much into my comment; this is exactly why i said that this was MY OPINION ONLY

Chill, buddy. :hi:

I'm just discussing the subject in the thread, not trying to start an argument...

http://www.kitco.com/news/2014-08-14/Hype-For-Gold-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-Shows-Risk-Of-Numismatic-Coins-Dealers.html

Cut-throat capitalism at work and those at the forefront of the slick promotion game will no doubt reap what they sow. Plus like the egg-sucking dog, incurable.

Nicely balanced article.