• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1943 photo of cash drawer

25 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I found this entertaining photo on the website Shorpy, which daily offers a new selection of high-quality vintage photos. It shows the cash drawer of a high school cafeteria in 1943 with a nice selection of what was then circulating. Check out that nice, mid-grade Barber Half on the counter!

http://www.shorpy.com/node/18312?size=_original#caption

It is a nostalgic picture, but I'm quite sure about the date. The reverse of the dime in the second slot looks like it might be a Roosevelt piece, and those were introduced in 1946.

In the early 1960s I used to run into a Standing Liberty quarter with a date now and then, but many of them were dateless. Buffalo nickels used to show up too, some with dates. People claimed they used to find an occasional Indian cent in change, but I never did.

One day, when I was in the 5th grade, a girl in my class showed up with a Barber half dollar her father gave her for lunch money. I exchanged with her for a 50 cents. They really weren't worth any more than that in the late 1950s because the Blue Book (Hand Book of U.S. Coins, sister to the Red Book) listed them at face value in Good. I still have that piece

It is a nostalgic picture, but I'm quite sure about the date. The reverse of the dime in the second slot looks like it might be a Roosevelt piece, and those were introduced in 1946.

In the early 1960s I used to run into a Standing Liberty quarter with a date now and then, but many of them were dateless. Buffalo nickels used to show up too, some with dates. People claimed they used to find an occasional Indian cent in change, but I never did.

One day, when I was in the 5th grade, a girl in my class showed up with a Barber half dollar her father gave her for lunch money. I exchanged with her for a 50 cents. They really weren't worth any more than that in the late 1950s because the Blue Book (Hand Book of U.S. Coins, sister to the Red Book) listed them at face value in Good. I still have that piece

That was my thought on the dime.

As to the nickels, they might have started out with a roll from the bank to make chance with, and that could have been all new Jeffersons.

Silver certificates were the only dollar bills we had until 1963, except for the scarce 1928 red seals.

Is that a silver certificate I see?

Almost certainly. One dollar United States notes were only issued in 1928 and one dollar Federal Reserve Notes weren't issued until 1963. So almost all of your ones in 1943 would be silver certificates.

The reverse of the dime in the second slot looks like it might be a Roosevelt piece, and those were introduced in 1946.

You are right, You blow up the picture and it is the reverse of a Roosevelt dime.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I thought I was seeing a Roosevelt Dime, too, but I went with the posted caption. I'm glad some others spotted it.

Let's start a rumor that it's a rare 1943-dated pattern that escaped into circulation. We can attach some fantastically high value to it and get the story transmitted by all the wire services!

Let's start a rumor that it's a rare 1943-dated pattern that escaped into circulation. We can attach some fantastically high value to it and get the story transmitted by all the wire services!

Not a very good idea! There are waaaaaay too many fools who would believe it.

Chris

A group of more than 100 photos taken at this school are available from the Library of Congress. The picture in the OP is among these. The Barber half is dated 1896. The dimes are all "Mercury" type.

The photos were taken as part of a project to encourage consolidation of small rural schools, and how this could be done inexpensively and with greatly improved education opportunities for the students. Much of the work was cooperative and students received financial credits for donating farm produce. Many of the kids worked nights to help support their families.

The reverse of the dime in the second slot looks like it might be a Roosevelt piece, and those were introduced in 1946.
You are right, You blow up the picture and it is the reverse of a Roosevelt dime.
I beg to differ, the only reverse you can tell is that of a mercury dime that is tilted to 3 o'clock.

B1BRSGy.png

I beg to differ, the only reverse you can tell is that of a mercury dime that is tilted to 3 o'clock.

B1BRSGy.png

That leftmost reverse is definitely a ROosevelt dime.

Looks like a Merc Dime to me. The "ONE DIME" on the lower part of the Roosevelt Dime is rather large compared to the Mercury Dime and wouldn't fit in the photo. It's just a Merc Dime which is rotated about 90 degrees in the photo.

That leftmost reverse is definitely a ROosevelt dime.
If you look at the images side by side it's pretty easy to tell it's a Mercury. Even easier if the photo is tilted.

B1BRSGy.pngIn5oiua.png

I think it's a Mercury, so I agree with c. 1943. I can make out the rectangular shape of the fasces and it doesn't have the shape of a torch. Remember there are olive branches on both sides of the Mercury fasces giving it the appearance of a Roosevelt from a distance.

Chris

Give him a week or two. I know someone who would make one for you.

Chris

Give him a week or two. I know someone who would make one for you.

Are you planning a trip to China?