• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An 1872 presidential campaign piece in leather

11 posts in this topic

USG1872-1O_zps9218f6ae.jpgUSG1872-1R_zpsd9a441b9.jpg

Here is one of the more unusual 19th century political tokens. This an 1872 Grant - Wilson jugate in leather. The significance of the composition of this piece is stated on the obverse. Both men had a connection to the leather trade early in their lives.

U.S. Grant worked in his father's tannery and leather shop all be it unhappily. Grant's great love for animals, especially horses, left him sickened by the sight of dead carcasses. Grant once beat a man who was abusing a horse.

Grant's running mate, Henry Wilson, who changed his name from Jeremiah Jones Colbath for obscure reasons, was cobbler in Natick, Massachusetts. Wilson had grown up in poverty and raised himself from an indentured servant to the owner of a successful shoe factory owner. After achieving financial success, Wilson entered politics and rose from United States Senator to the vice presidency. Wilson died in office of a stroke in 1875.

To my knowledge this is one of two 19th century political pieces that were issued in pressed leather. The other one was issued for Grover Cleveland in 1888.

Bill,

That is one unusual piece. I really enjoy the history that you provide with each piece you show.

Thank you for your effort.

Doug

Very nifty ...coin? token? medal? Well, whatever it is, it is definitely cool.

The rendition of Grant on it seems really poor. If you hadn't said who it was, I'd have had no idea.

Mark