• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey, what's this?! A Lafayette is worth the same as a BTW in the same grade?!

16 posts in this topic

Ok, I just added a Booker T. Washington AND a Lafayette to my early Commemorative Registry.

They are both in the same grade and they both received the SAME number of points? blush.gif

Hmmm... I thought the Lafayette was a scarcer and much more difficult coin that the Booker T.

shocked.gif

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

For grade levels at which coins are not considered to be competitive, they are scored at one point simply to represent that they are included. When our score modifying formula is applied to reduce the scoring of very high grade coins (implemented after numerous complaints were received about "wonder coins"), these basal scores appear to Registry users as 3 points. This score is not intended to represent an actual value. It should appear as just one point, but I have no control over the modifying process.

For grade levels at which coins are not considered to be competitive, they are scored at one point simply to represent that they are included.

There is more going on here than that, I am afraid. For example

1962 Franklin 50c PF67 Cameo 12 points, this coin can be purchased for about 30 bucks

1950 Franklin 50c PF65* 3 points (this falls into your "one point" range with your later statement about "appearing to registry users as 3 points") , this coin can run from $250 to $400.

So why is the $30 coin more competitive than the $300 or so coin? My guess is that bringing the point value of those coins at the lower end of the spectrum up, will be a pain in the a**, and that is more the reason than anything regarding competitiveness. I could be mistaken but looking at the numbers, it is what seems most logical.

Phil

NGC has not completed the weighting for grades in which there are no coins. They've just entered one point. That's where the 65* falls I suspect.

It isn't that, because a 1952 PF65 sells for $150 or so, much more than the 30 dollars of the 1962 PF67 Cameo and it too gets 3 points. I know 1952 PF65 exist because I have one in my hand as I type this. If you look at the score sheet for Franklin Proofs you will find that at least half of the possible grades recieve the aforementioned 3 points. Mr. Mabens statement leads me to believe that he is saying that half of the possible grades are "Not competitive"

Phil

Braddick:

I can see how a Lafayette dollar might somehow become circulated (say during 1907 with its sharp recession and the view that a dollar spent was food whereas a Lafayette dollar saved was ... a Lafayette dollar saved) but how do you suppose that a BTW actually circulated enough to become G4? Even if it was minted in 1946 and immediately spent (why?), it could only circulate for 19 years until 1965, when all silver coins were withdrawn and hoarded. Do you think 19 years is enough circulation to wear the coin to G4? Or has your rock tumbler been busy over the past few months????laugh.gif

Mark

P.S. Plus, in its 19 years of circulation, it has to be amazing that no one noticed that the half dollar was "odd" and threw it into a sock drawer.

Keith and Greg:

Now that you mention, I think I, too, recall what you are saying. But I still wonder (and marvel) that a BTW managed to circulate enough so that it became G4. I would have guessed that someone would have yanked it from circulation because "It looks different and so it must be rare and so it must be worth a lot."

Mark

Mark,

When my sister worked at a movie theater a few years back, she said people still occasionally paid with Ike dollars, Merc dimes, and Indian Cents. She also saw a lot of SBA's, but nobody is sure where those were found since the issue didn't circulate.

I bought this one already in its older, green insert PCGS holder.

Mark, that is what makes these coins FUN to collect. They're NOT suppose to exist.

You ask a great question and one I can't answer other than what has already been expressed.

Why did Ikes circulate to AG03 level? Greg can back that one up- I have one that was in an NGC holder, crossed to PCGS (just for my collecting pleasure- not to support my kids in college in ten years).

The "Rock Tumbler" is a myth. It'll "wear" a coin down but also supply ample evidence the coin has been played with and provides artifical looking surfaces- polished, if you will.

The Laf. $ was probably someone's good luck pocket piece.

Braddick:

Good thought about the Lafayette dollar being a pocket piece. I bet the BTW was also a pocket piece because I just don't see how only 19 years of only hand-to-hand circulation could wear the coin down to G4. And I can't believe that your BTW could have circulated hand-to-hand after 1965. So I bet it almost had to be a pocket piece.

Re the rock tumbler crack: It's a rare opportunity for me to be able to raze a police officer without (much) fear of retribution. Because I don't forsee myself speeding in your neck of the woods anytime soon, I thought this instance might be one of these rare times. You better believe that when these occurences happen, I will seize the opportunity!!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Mark