• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$500 to spend on a coin - which would you buy?

39 posts in this topic

No particular reason I chose that one, but I knew it would fit the price. I like the coloring and luster of these coins when nicely uncirculated.

Despite being a foreign coin collector I have a small list of uncirculated US coins I'd like to own:

Cooper-nickel Indian cent

Type 1 Standing Liberty Quarter

Antietem, Pan-Pac, Pilgrim, Oregon, Bay Bridge and Texas commemorative half dollars

A very high grade morgan dollar

With rays shield nickel

Three cent nickel

-JamminJ

A nice no problem draped bust 50c. in F-VF

It would be a great example of our nations history from the time of Thomas Jefferson.

Or a 1795 flowing hair 50c in Good. This might be just over the $500 mark though.

buy 2 1914 D's in nice VF.....

Ok, not to sound to stupid, but 1914 D what? I suppose the real coinees know exactly to which coin you are referring, but I haven't a clue.

The reference to the 1914-D is for the Lincoln cent series.

Five hundred dollars to spend on a coin leaves a very wide field to choose from. I would suggest that whatever coin you buy, make sure you like it and you view it as disposable income with no guarantee of return on investment.

If you are like any other person who has ever committed money to the purchase of coins, you will find that the longer you are in the hobby/industry, the more your tastes will change. Therefore, what looks terrific for $500 today might not be what you would want to own two or three years from now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

The reference to the 1914-D is for the Lincoln cent series.

Five hundred dollars to spend on a coin leaves a very wide field to choose from. I would suggest that whatever coin you buy, make sure you like it and you view it as disposable income with no guarantee of return on investment.

If you are like any other person who has ever committed money to the purchase of coins, you will find that the longer you are in the hobby/industry, the more your tastes will change. Therefore, what looks terrific for $500 today might not be what you would want to own two or three years from now.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

I've been collecting buffalos and have about half for a short set, but thought I might purchase something different for a changes since I haven't found a suitable coin for my buf collection.

carson city higher grade circulated type coins 893scratchchin-thumb.gif AND NO MORGAN DOLLARS!!!!! makepoint.gif also a gem proof three cent nickel thumbsup2.gif

choose one from below all around $500.00

a nice xf 1875-cc twenty cent piece only collectible cc twenty cent piece

a nice au 76-cc quarter the centennial year

a choice vf 1875-s/cc trade dollar a cc and a trade dollar and a dual mintmark WILD!!!!! a stand alone coin

a nice xf 1876-cc trade dollar the centennial year

a solid au 74-cc or 75-cc trade dollar fantastic!!

gem proof three cent nickel or gem proof two cent piece brown

undervalued odd demonation 19th century usa coin

you got many choices young man 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifcloud9.gifangel.gif

michael

You've been working on a Buffalo set? That's cool. You should have plenty to talk about with Hoot, jom and Whilborg as they are all hard-core Buffalo collectors.

Since you have more experience in the hobby/industry than I was expecting, I will give you some ideas of what I might think would be cool, for about $500, if I were collecting Buffalo nickels. In no particular order-

1) A Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle half dollar in about VF. A really choice coin with terrific eye appeal and original surfaces might cost about $400 and with the other $100 you could pick up a choice EF Capped Bust half dollar. These coins are 170-200 years old, are loaded with history, are quite large, have lettered edges and you don't have to buy them slabbed to enjoy them.

2) Some of the classic commem series of coins with original surfaces, light toning and great luster. This niche of the market has been in a slumber for quite some time and most of the limited mintages of coins have been dipped or otherwise "improved" over the years. There is absolutely terrific artwork on some of these pieces and you can get them in relatively high grade (MS64-MS66) for not much money. You might choose a Boone, Oregon and Texas trio, which would keep nicely with you Buffalo nickel theme of Native American and Western America. A wonderful Boone in MS65 might run $200, an Oregon in MS66 about $260 and a Texas in MS65 about $180.

3) Another option might be to buy the 1997 Washington $5 gold pair in both PF and MS. The presentation case is handsome, the coins are exceptional and they are gold. The set can be had for about $500.

buy 2 1914 D's in nice VF.....

Ok, not to sound to stupid, but 1914 D what? I suppose the real coinees know exactly to which coin you are referring, but I haven't a clue.

I actually like the 1914 D Buffalo nickel--alot. tongue.gif I remember as a kid in c.1975, I got one out of an assortment of Buffs for a quarter. I believe that it was a VG or a Fine. Anyway, I guess that it is kind of sentimental but it still is a very good date. cloud9.gif

Depends on what you like. I haven't checked prices for them in awhile, but you may be able to pick up an MS 65 Barber Dime for $500. Seems no one wants them now and 5 years ago, they'd run $700 to $800. Be selective; Barber type is readily available, but much of it is nothing special re eye appeal.

Another possibility is an MS 65 With Cents Liberty Nickel, but make sure it's not ugly (most of them are).

You've been working on a Buffalo set? That's cool. You should have plenty to talk about with Hoot, jom and Whilborg as they are all hard-core Buffalo collectors.

1) A Draped Bust Heraldic Eagle half dollar in about VF. A really choice coin with terrific eye appeal and original surfaces might cost about $400 and with the other $100 you could pick up a choice EF Capped Bust half dollar. These coins are 170-200 years old, are loaded with history, are quite large, have lettered edges and you don't have to buy them slabbed to enjoy them.

Hoot actually gave me alot of advice when I first started putting together my set. Nice to have such knowledgable people around and who are so willing to share their experience.

I think that is where I am leaning - something about a coin that has been around for 200 years. The history associated with it adds to its beauty.

Thanks.

I'd go with VF draped bust half as mentioned above but seated half dime or seated dime in MS64 would be also nice...
I'm surprised no one's mentioned a sharp, well defined, problem free Bust quarter. Much scarcer than the half and an attractive coin with upward movment in its future, IMHO.

I think that I would go with a 1972/72 Lincoln cent in 64 or better.....If I couldn't find that I may settle for an attractive octagonal California gold dollar.....

Paul

The reference to the 1914-D is for the Lincoln cent series.Five hundred dollars to spend on a coin leaves a very wide field to choose from. I would suggest that whatever coin you buy, make sure you like it and you view it as disposable income with no guarantee of return on investment.If you are like any other person who has ever committed money to the purchase of coins, you will find that the longer you are in the hobby/industry, the more your tastes will change. Therefore, what looks terrific for $500 today might not be what you would want to own two or three years from now.Good luck and let us know what you decide.
I've been collecting buffalos and have about half for a short set, but thought I might purchase something different for a changes since I haven't found a suitable coin for my buf collection.
Here's a coin that you might like! James is not too happy with this purchase but he knows his stuff and he's been doing it for quite some time. This coin would not be a bad purchase for the rightbuyer. James might even cut you a deal if you decide to take it off his hands.It's very difficult to find these 200 year old coins in their original condition. And if you do, they're usually black from years of toning. And this is why many of these old coins have suffered some kind of cleaning during all those years. Here's my Bust dollar that I bought about 8-9 years back for $525. It was cleaned at one time but has retoned nicely in the Dansco album I keep it in.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Get simple, reliable, and affordable image hosting with Vendio today!

But on the other hand, don't rush out and buy the first $500 coin you see! Take your time and search out that coin that may hold it's value over time. There are many coins out there that cost $500 but they may be readily available for sale as well. A coin that takes some time to locate may prove to be the coin worth your while to own.Leo

Uh, yeah, thanks for steering me to a coin that someone is complaining how they got ripped off purchasing it. Yeah, that makes alot of sense for me to purchase the coin that they are running down. makepoint.gifgrin.gif

Good luck in finding a 1798 to 1807 Heraldic eagle coin in original VF condition that has never been messed with for $400 or $500.

Leo

I am sure you are trying to be helpful and I appreciate your effort.

You just have to have a little patience to find these pieces. Here is an 1805 DBHE half that I bought raw and subsequently sent to PCGS for grading. I really don't know why I sent it in, other than to see if they gave it the same somewhat odd grade that I did, and they did. We both graded it VF30 and it is completely problem-free and original. This coin cost me $400. smile.gif671479-CopyofI1805P30a.jpg

671479-CopyofI1805P30a.jpg.0ea46691622d0a6525aeb788ade183fd.jpg

You just have to have a little patience to find these pieces. Here is an 1805 DBHE half that I bought raw and subsequently sent to PCGS for grading. I really don't know why I sent it in, other than to see if they gave it the same somewhat odd grade that I did, and they did. We both graded it VF30 and it is completely problem-free and original. This coin cost me $400. smile.gif

It's not worth $400 anymore! It's likely twice that now. My coin doesn't have that much detail! I believe it came from Scottsman coins in St. Louis and they graded it Fine+. Very nice nice find, Tom!

Leo