• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting modern coins, take II posted by JTO

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Here for modern coins that, I think, have investment potential. Shhh don't tell though.

This is a continuation of the thread that was started about a week ago. We were talking about ordering mint sets and sending in a handful of coins to try to get a few top population for grade. If you order 10 mint sets (~$30 per set with shipping) that's $300. If you submit 2 coins from each set that will add on an additional $15 per coin minimum, that adds an additional $300. So we are up to $600.

For just a little bit more you could by a mint state First Spouse gold coin. I think these are the real sleepers of the modern commemorative series. Consider that several so far have had mintage numbers under 2000!!! Not 2 billion, 200 million, 2 million but 2 thousand. The grey sheet on the MS L. Garfield first spouse is 1425 bid, 1525 ask. For VanBuren's Liberty its roughly $1100 mint state or proof.

Time will tell...

JTO

15717.jpg

See more journals by JTO

Here for modern coins that, I think, have investment potential. Shhh don't tell though.

This is a continuation of the thread that was started about a week ago. We were talking about ordering mint sets and sending in a handful of coins to try to get a few top population for grade. If you order 10 mint sets (~$30 per set with shipping) that's $300. If you submit 2 coins from each set that will add on an additional $15 per coin minimum, that adds an additional $300. So we are up to $600.

For just a little bit more you could by a mint state First Spouse gold coin. I think these are the real sleepers of the modern commemorative series. Consider that several so far have had mintage numbers under 2000!!! Not 2 billion, 200 million, 2 million but 2 thousand. The grey sheet on the MS L. Garfield first spouse is 1425 bid, 1525 ask. For VanBuren's Liberty its roughly $1100 mint state or proof.

Time will tell...

JTO

15717.jpg

See more journals by JTO

beautiful coin, and the reasoning *seems* sound, but you still need to consider two very important things when trying to answer the question "will it be worth more when I retire or need to sell it?". While two thousand seems like a small mintage, it is still a mintage that is all available today and in pristine condition, so it is not 'rare' in any grade or for any other reason than the fact that only two thousand were produced. The other consideration is demand. While someone could hype these and spend a considerable amount of time and money doing so, that is the only way I see creating the demand necessary to make this anything other than a bullion issue like it was intended to be. Beautiful, yes, but in my humble but very experienced opinion, it will never be what most key dates are because there was never a huge following to drive demand and prices in the first place. My bet is that you can buy these by the dozens if you look for them, proving that they aren't now and never will be 'rare' in the true sense of the word. As for investment- well, maybe that's a speculation that I'll leave to others my friend...