• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tried bidding in the Baltimore auction...

13 posts in this topic

....Yesterday on the Stacks-Bowers website. There are no 'soft' auction ending times, so it ended at exactly 3:00 PM PDT, so I left myself about a minute to a minute and a half just in case I had some sort of issues and also to not leave a potential sniper too much time to think about it and outbid me or run me up. I put in a strong bid of 50% higher than the current bid. Well, I pressed 'submit bid(s)' and it's processing and processing and processing but NOT accepting my bid. After about 30-45 seconds; I get nervous, so I try to go back and/or refresh the page and then I get "CRITICAL ERROR"!! Seriously? By the time I get back and re-logged in the auction had expired and I LOST!! I shouldn't even say that I lost, b/c it never even accepted my bid and the current bid went UNCHALLENGED. :mad: I don't think it was my computer, either, b/c I had no problem bidding on eBay just two days before. I guess I will just stick to Heritage and eBay from now on in. Majorly DISAPPOINTED!! rantrant

Sorry that happened. I recall similar happening to me on TT some years back.

Internet has made a lot of things easier, but it has also added in some new frustration points when things like that happen.

Sorry that happened. I recall similar happening to me on TT some years back.

Internet has made a lot of things easier, but it has also added in some new frustration points when things like that happen.

Thanks. I guess it just wasn't meant to be and maybe something even better will come along. hm

The Stacks site is a disaster...so this is no shock. You really ought to just set a price beforehand and let it go....WELL beforehand that is.

jom

Thanks for describing your bidding problem. I've given up on the Stacks website due to the various user-unfriendly problems, it's not worth the hassle, and anyway there is so much happening on-line it's almost impossible for anyone to keep up with it all.

Complaining to the individuals involved doesn't help, they are in denial, and will stonewall you.

Consignors will learn about this and they will gradually be dropping out.

Maybe the only hope for Stacks is if someone can get the attention of Q. David Bowers, and get him to look through the posted comments, of which this one is not my first.

their website suks

internet explorer is too old school for them, you need chrome, safari, or one of them fancy mobile devices

I've been having many problems with their website as well..

search feature doesn't work most of the time, browsing current auctions sometime shows no items at all as if there are no coins to view, and the bidding process is slow and gets stuck a lot. it was a lot easier on TT before.

I sent several messages, seems like nothing is being fixed ..

I can understand having some technical issues for a couple of weeks, but come on it's been like this for months! i just don't go there anymore.

The Stack's Bowers website has got major issues, and I can't understand why they can't fix it. I never had problems with their old site, and their high resolution photos have always been better than the competition IMO, but bidding there is too often a frustrating adventure.

I have tried to talk to them about it, but I could hear their eyes glazing over on the phone when I did. They somehow don't care about this issue. They don't seem to understand that they not only lose money from auction bids that are missed, but also lose consignments from those who have lost faith in their system.

I've never tried S/B but I gladly pay a premium for Buy It Now. The idea of a good price on a coin is nice of course but waiting a week to have 10 people make bids in the last 5 seconds is not worth the hassle. The rare times I enter an auction I submit my best price and not worry about whether I will win it. I think only once have I ever actually won a coin or baseball card from auction.

I've never tried S/B but I gladly pay a premium for Buy It Now. The idea of a good price on a coin is nice of course but waiting a week to have 10 people make bids in the last 5 seconds is not worth the hassle. The rare times I enter an auction I submit my best price and not worry about whether I will win it. I think only once have I ever actually won a coin or baseball card from auction.

If you have been looking for a certain coin for a long time in a given state of preservation, your opinions might be different. I've often found the "buy it now" prices to be on the high side for coins that are not that hard to find.

Thanks for the responses and insight, guys. I truly appreciate it. I heard that their website was bad but I had no idea that it was that screwed up. Had I known----I'd have bid even sooner than I already did. As you say----not only did I miss the coin but the consignor and SB are losing money, too---potentially a lot of money.

Agree about all the problems with the site. I've had my share as well. From not being able to bid, to navigation problems, to not even being able to see lots beyond the 1st page.

I also don't like their current photos/scans. The enlarge feature is hokey and you can't get a good up-close look at the entire coin.

I have won some auctions at good prices because of their website issues...lol.

If you have been looking for a certain coin for a long time in a given state of preservation, your opinions might be different. I've often found the "buy it now" prices to be on the high side for coins that are not that hard to find.

If the coin I wanted was not available for more than a modest premium via Buy it Now I definitely would be frustrated. Some of the Buy it Now prices are really sky high and have no grounding in market values or availability.