• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, yes, another coinboard ... I admit I am obsessed! (color alert)

48 posts in this topic

Here's a small date.

Robec_1970sSDTV_PR66RB_5445.jpg

If this is really a small date, then I am confused as I would have said this is for sure a large date. Interesting.

Chris.

regardless though, its one of if not the best looking toned 1970 S proof Lincoln I have ever seen.

Here's a small date.

Robec_1970sSDTV_PR66RB_5445.jpg

I know this one is certified by PCGS as small date, but I really don't think it is.

all the pick up points of the different variety say large date

thank you.. very nice coin! i have never seen a toned small date 70-S either, the only reason i asked (and thought this might be one) is that the toning on yours is different than most of the other toned 70-S LD proofs (bulls-eye target toning).

I am not sure how or why my 1970-S large date has such an unusual toning pattern. I bought that coin raw on eBay and PCGS graded it first time through. I did submit it Secure Plus so it could be sniffed for chemicals (it passed).

26144509_Medium.jpg

By the way, I love the small date you posted Robec. Great color.

27495445_Medium.jpg

Well, I just got lucky. I did a quick search on eBay and found a 1970-S small date Lincoln already PCGS-slabbed as PR65RB with some nice toning, so I bought it. Sellers photo is below. There is one other toned 70-s small date on eBay right now, but it's NGC slabbed and $400 (which is too much money for me). Now I just need a PCGS TrueView photo of this new one and I can add it to my coinboard in the OP. So this is how I put together my collection (by hunting and fishing) -- and is why it took me 4 years (it's a slow process to find all these).

1970s_Linc_PR65RB_sd.jpg

It looks like this might have the right diagnostic for a small date, but geez it's hard to tell 100%, isn't it. Is the 7 jammed up against that top line or not? I think this is one reason I never liked these subtle varieties very much, too hard to tell if you have one. At least the string "IBERTY" is weak like the diagnostic photo shows (as should be on an SD variety).

1970s_Linc_zoom.jpg

1970s_SDvsLD_diag.jpg

I know that the coin posted by Robec is certified by PCGS as small date, but I really don't think it is. All the diagnostics say large date

Not easy to tell, is it? I zoomed up Robec's TrueView. Hmm, I see what you are saying, it looks like it might be a large date variety? It that's true, I wonder how PCGS could get this wrong. Now I wonder if the coin I bought is also a large date. Kind of makes you lose confidence in PCGS.

1970s_Robec_sd.jpg

1970s_SDvsLD_diag.jpg

Here are a few more diagnostic photos from Ken Potter, but these images are for Proof 1970-s Lincolns. (I think I am close to hijacking my own thread -- but I am curious about this whole 1970-s small date vs large date issue.)

1970s_SDvsLD_diag2.jpg

Not so easy to tell ...

Compare_SD_LD_1100.jpg

Here are a few more diagnostic photos from Ken Potter, but these images for for Proof 1970-s Lincolns. (I think I am close to hijacking my own thread -- but I am curious about this whole 1970-s small date vs large date issue.)

1970s_SDvsLD_diag2.jpg

Not so easy to tell ...

Compare_SD_LD_1100.jpg

It does appear that PCGS got this wrong, either by grading or mechanical error. I bought it for both color and the small date designation, but not at a small date premium.

At least the color is there.

Thank you for the educational posts and I apologize for any hijacking of this thread. That wasn't my intention.

I think i hijacked my own thread after a question ... in any case i learned a little bit about the 1970-s small date variety ... and i also learned that it's just too subtle for me. I think a better variety name would have been "high 7" vs "low 7" ... as opposed to "small date" vs "large date"

The 1960 small date is much easier to detect and verify.

Great set!

Where did you find the toned ones out of the Lincoln Chronicles set? In fact, where do you find these nicely toned mint sets...I never see those.

jom

Yes you did hijack your own thread and the very 1st thing I noticed about Bob's coin was it was a LG date.
How did the person that discovered this even like realize this and be like hey there is a small and large date!

As the name "AH freak" suggests, I am a Accent Hair Kennedy nutso. Since the Accent Hair is a "variety" I think the natural progression was to gravitate into other varieties that were similar in nature (such as the 1956 type 1 Franklin proof, the 1960 Sm/Lg date, 1966 Sms Ken, no FG, and also very much the 1970 S small date proof cent.

One thing I can say for certain, is that there isn't one of those coins that I HAVE NOT seen in the wrong holder... 1964 regular Kennedy in a Accent Hair slab, the Franklin being attributed as a type 1 when in fact it was clearly a type 2, I could go on and on... My point is, that out of all of them... None of them are so commonly misdiagnosed by the 3PG's than the 1970 S proof cent from what I have seen. I would be willing to bet that if I went to Ebay right now, and just searched 1970S proof cents, that I could find at least 5 that are misdiagnosed, (between the current listings and the completed listings.).

I will take this opportunity to stress the importance of learning how to diagnose/attribute yourself before spending a premium for a coin based on what the variety the label says it is.... regardless of who graded it.

just IMO.

Yes you did hijack your own thread and the very 1st thing I noticed about Bob's coin was it was a LG date.
How did the person that discovered this even like realize this and be like hey there is a small and large date!

Pretty simple actually.... from my experience, guys who are "cent guys" are pretty fanatical about cents.... Anybody with a halfway experienced eye who happens to have a small date and a large date next to one another, could easily see and recognize.. "hey, one is small, and one is large"... It honestly stands out like a sore thumb after your eye is familiar with all the minute details of a particular coin/series/etc...

Here is an example. the other day, I was going through a BU roll of 1880 S Morgan dollars... after looking at 18 of them, on number 19, I looked at the reverse, and immediately noticed.. "hey that "S" is about twice the size of the others S's I have just looked at" shortly thereafter I learned that it was very well known, probably common knowledge for most Morgan guys, and the reason I hadn't heard of it yet, was cause it was likely just no big deal because of how common it is....

Pretty simple actually.... from my experience, guys who are "cent guys" are pretty fanatical about cents.... Anybody with a halfway experienced eye who happens to have a small date and a large date next to one another, could easily see and recognize.. "hey, one is small, and one is large"... It honestly stands out like a sore thumb after your eye is familiar with all the minute details of a particular coin/series/etc...

Here is an example. the other day, I was going through a BU roll of 1880 S Morgan dollars... after looking at 18 of them, on number 19, I looked at the reverse, and immediately noticed.. "hey that "S" is about twice the size of the others S's I have just looked at" shortly thereafter I learned that it was very well known, probably common knowledge for most Morgan guys, and the reason I hadn't heard of it yet, was cause it was likely just no big deal because of how common it is....

Im going to need to train my eye for these things then.

Great set! Where did you find the toned ones out of the Lincoln Chronicles set? In fact, where do you find these nicely toned proof sets...I never see those. jom

I found about 5 sets of toned 2009 Bicentennial Lincolns still inside sealed OGP's. Most show showed some darkening around the rim. I have a feeling that the cardboard insert contained a bit of sulfur, and under the right storage conditions, accelerated toning occurred. If you scan ebay constantly over the next year, I bet you will see a few more for sale.

This kind of toning in the 2009 Bicentennials is not that hard to find ...

Set_Holder_R1.jpg

That being said, toned OGP Proof sets for other years are kind of tough to find in general (esp past the year 1990 or so) but they do come up for auction on occasion, you just need to scan eBay every day over a long period of time to find the occasional listing. It should be noted that not all the toned proof sets are attractive though, some contain coins that are ugly (splotchy and blotchy) -- so you need to be picky and choosy (and try not to pay too much). PCGS will not always grade coins with color that were cracked out of unopened Proof Sets -- so raw toned coins are always a gamble if you are looking to get them graded by PCGS eventually.

Great set! Where did you find the toned ones out of the Lincoln Chronicles set? In fact, where do you find these nicely toned proof sets...I never see those. jom

I found about 5 sets of toned 2009 Bicentennial Lincolns still inside sealed OGP's. Most show showed some darkening around the rim. I have a feeling that the cardboard insert contained a bit of sulfur, and under the right storage conditions, accelerated toning occurred. If you scan ebay constantly over the next year, I bet you will see a few more for sale.

This kind of toning in the 2009 Bicentennials is not that hard to find ...

Set_Holder_R1.jpg

OK, I guess I'm not up-to-date here but that Lincoln set doesn't look at all like the one I've got. I have a set that has the silver dollar also...were there different OGPs for these? Then again, it's been a couple of years since I looked at mine which are at the bank. But I think they are in coin capsules or whatever....

jom

Yes, I went and checked on eBay. The one you had is another option...I just didn't know it existed. Maybe I'll check periodically to see if any pop up on eBay....

I do have the set you showed there. Pretty nice actually...I just haven't seen them in awhile.

jom