• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, yes, another coinboard ... I admit I am obsessed! (color alert)

48 posts in this topic

I created a new digital coinboard over the past few days. This covers 104 years of Lincoln Cent Proof Production on a "single sheet" -- and displays my colorful examples. This took me about 4 years of hunting to accumulate. Just 2 holes left. Note that all coin face images are resized TrueView photos (so thanks to Phil Arnold).

The horizontal gold lines separate the various era's

1. Matte Proof (1909-1916)

2. Pre-War (1936-1942)

3. Post-War (1950-1958)

4. P-Mint Memorial (1959-1964)

5. SMS (1965-1967)

6. S-Mint Memorial (1968-1982)

7. Zincoln (1983-2008)

8. Bicentennial (2009)

9. Shield (2010-current)

Master_ProofColl_Cream.jpg

That is totally awesome WL!! Although, in my own personal opinion, I might call some of those AT, but I'm not being absolute about that! ;)

WL your presentation makes me SICK

IN A REAL NICE WAY

CONGRATS

Awesome presentation. I do not have any expertise regrading Lincoln Cents so please excuse my uninformed inquiry. Why is 1959 represented as a Reverse and no Obverse?

Carl

Awesome presentation. I do not have any expertise regrading Lincoln Cents so please excuse my uninformed inquiry. Why is 1959 represented as a Reverse and no Obverse?

Carl

I would think that this coin has a toned reverse with an untied obverse, and that's why he posted it reverse side up.. But that's just a guess.

WL, Even though i dont usually care for the later date proofs (1959-) I gotta make an exception here.. This is a very beautiful collection!

Must applaud you for the hard work! Gotta feel nice to accomplish building such a nice set! Most coins match the set and complement each other, just stunning! Your MPL's are to die for, each one of them! :applause:

One question, on the 70-S, is that a small date? Can't really see the details as the coins' pics (understandably) are relatively small. And are you going to make up a slot for the large date proof?

CONGRATULATIONS on a Gorgeous set!!! :applause: You did a wonderful job!... both on the collecting and on the display side.

One quick question, which is in NO way meant to denigrate some of the latter coins, it is meant solely as a way to learn (I don't know copper well enough), but did the latter coins, 2013 etc., Genuine at PCGS? I find it hard to believe that coins of such a recent date could have toning such as is exhibited here.

Anyhow, as mentioned, I think it is a Lovely and well exhibited set! (thumbs u

Carl

Each first coin in the respective "new reverse" sections is shown with the new reverse facing forward. For example, the 1959, the 2009 issues (all reverses forward), then the shield issues beginning in 2010. My guess (?) Is that the 1909 VDB proof would also be shown reverse forward to show that design component (and presumeably on a much larger version of the board, the actual VDB letters).

Just a WAG.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The only thing missing from the original coin boards are instructions to clean your pennies with vinegar and a pencil eraser. doh!

Thanks for all the nice comments.

To answer a few questions ...

Awesome presentation. I do not have any expertise regrading Lincoln Cents so please excuse my uninformed inquiry. Why is 1959 represented as a Reverse and no Obverse? Carl

I wanted to show the change of reverse design from 1958 to 1959 ... so I flipped those. It was also done because the 1958 had a monstrous reverse that I really wanted to show off. I also flipped the bicentennials and the first shield.

CONGRATULATIONS on a Gorgeous set!!! :applause: You did a wonderful job!... both on the collecting and on the display side. One quick question, which is in NO way meant to denigrate some of the latter coins, it is meant solely as a way to learn (I don't know copper well enough), but did the latter coins, 2013 etc., Genuine at PCGS? I find it hard to believe that coins of such a recent date could have toning such as is exhibited here. Anyhow, as mentioned, I think it is a Lovely and well exhibited set! (thumbs u

I thought that a number of the later dates, esp the 2012 and 2013 would get Genuine Questionable Color grades at PCGS. However both of those graded fine first time through (both graded PCGS PR68RB). It is my understanding that PCGS will grade coins as problem free if they think they are "Market Acceptable" and not necessarily "Natural". Honestly I think PCGS struggles with this whole color issue and I have seen them grade stuff all over the board ... some coins that I thought were clearly NT came back Genuine QC ... and others that I thought were likely AT'd came back problem free. I did try to submit most of these toners using the PCGS Secure Plus service so they could be sniffed for chemicals.

How are the modern coins toned? Doesn't natural toning take years to achieve?

I wish I knew. Yes, truly natural toning generally takes years. I bought most of these from dealers (mostly on eBay, Heritage, and Goldberg Auctions -- some Bricks and Mortar Dealers -- also some came from Collectors on the various boards I frequent). Many coins came out of apparently sealed OGP Proof Sets,

This one came out of a Proof Set that looked sealed and pristine to my eye (only the Lincoln and Saca showed any color). The Lincoln graded PR69RB first time through ...

2004ProofSet.jpg

TVBlack_2004s_Linc_PR69RB.jpg

This 1962 came out of a sealed flat pack. It graded PR68BN first time through ...

1962_ProofSet_IP_O1.jpg

TVBlack_1962Linc_PR68BN.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments.

To answer a few questions ...

Awesome presentation. I do not have any expertise regrading Lincoln Cents so please excuse my uninformed inquiry. Why is 1959 represented as a Reverse and no Obverse? Carl

I wanted to show the change of reverse design from 1958 to 1959 ... so I flipped those. It was also done because the 1958 had a monstrous reverse that I really wanted to show off. I also flipped the bicentennials and the first shield.

CONGRATULATIONS on a Gorgeous set!!! :applause: You did a wonderful job!... both on the collecting and on the display side. One quick question, which is in NO way meant to denigrate some of the latter coins, it is meant solely as a way to learn (I don't know copper well enough), but did the latter coins, 2013 etc., Genuine at PCGS? I find it hard to believe that coins of such a recent date could have toning such as is exhibited here. Anyhow, as mentioned, I think it is a Lovely and well exhibited set! (thumbs u

I thought that a number of the later dates, esp the 2012 and 2013 would get Genuine Questionable Color grades at PCGS. However both of those graded fine first time through (both graded PCGS PR68RB). It is my understanding that PCGS will grade coins as problem free if they think they are "Market Acceptable" and not necessarily "Natural". Honestly I think PCGS struggles with this whole color issue and I have seen them grade stuff all over the board ... some coins that I thought were clearly NT came back Genuine QC ... and others that I thought were likely AT'd came back problem free. I did try to submit most of these toners using the PCGS Secure Plus service so they could be sniffed for chemicals.

How are the modern coins toned? Doesn't natural toning take years to achieve?

I wish I knew. Yes, truly natural toning generally takes years. I bought most of these from dealers (mostly on eBay, Heritage, and Goldberg Auctions -- some Bricks and Mortar Dealers -- also some came from Collectors on the various boards I frequent). Many coins came out of apparently sealed OGP Proof Sets,

This one came out of a Proof Set that looked sealed and pristine to my eye (only the Lincoln and Saca showed any color). The Lincoln graded PR69RB first time through ...

2004ProofSet.jpg

TVBlack_2004s_Linc_PR69RB.jpg

This 1962 came out of a sealed flat pack. It graded PR68BN first time through ...

1962_ProofSet_IP_O1.jpg

TVBlack_1962Linc_PR68BN.jpg

That's very interesting I never seen so much toning on one coin and the rest being just the same. What's the value on them 2?

This 2007 Proof Set also appeared to be untampered with and sealed. And all the coins were mellowing (yellowing) for some reason, but only the Lincoln took on wild color. The Lincoln graded first time through PCGS PR69RB.

2007ProofSet.jpg

TVBlack_2007s_Linc_PR69RB.jpg

Here is the set that was the source of the 2006-S. This set yielded two monsters that graded first time through at PCGS, the Lincoln that graded PR69RB and the Saca Dollar graded. I submitted both using Secure Plus so they could be sniffed for chemicals (they both passed).

2006_Set.jpg

TVBlack_2006-S_Linc_PR69RB.jpg

Here is the Saca from that set ...

2006-S_Slab_O1.jpg

That's very interesting I never seen so much toning on one coin and the rest being just the same. What's the value on them 2?

Value of toners is very hard to determine. It's basically what people will pay. I am guessing the monsters in my set might bring between $100 and $200 each on eBay in an open auction. Lesser coins (less pretty, less eye-appealing) might bring $5 to $50 each, depending on the year, grade, and how they look. However none of these are for sale. Nice looking toned proof copper that will grade at PCGS is kind of hard to find.

One question, on the 70-S, is that a small date? Can't really see the details as the coins' pics (understandably) are relatively small. And are you going to make up a slot for the large date proof?

My 1970-S is a large date. I have never seen a toned 1970-S small date ... that's seems to be a pretty big rarity. I only put two varieties on the board, but I should consider more.

TVBlack_1970s_Linc_PR66BN.jpg

To be honest with you, I have always had a hard time telling the 1970-S small date from the large date (I rely on PCGS to tell me!) Although this image I found on the internet does a good job at breaking down the differences ...

1970S%20SD-LDa.jpg

My 1970-S is a large date. I have never seen a toned 1970-S small date ... that's seems to be a pretty big rarity. I only put two varieties on the board, but I should consider more.

TVBlack_1970s_Linc_PR66BN.jpg

To be honest with you, I have always had a hard time telling the 1970-S small date from the large date (I rely on PCGS to tell me!) Although this image I found on the internet does a good job at breaking down the differences ...

1970S%20SD-LDa.jpg

thank you.. very nice coin!

i have never seen a toned small date 70-S either, the only reason i asked (and thought this might be one) is that the toning on yours is different than most of the other toned 70-S LD proofs (bulls-eye target toning).