• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How about a guess of NT or AT thread? GRADE UPDATE!!

93 posts in this topic

While those colors are not common on peace dollars they are complex and would not be easy to fake.

Also I have seen plenty of peace dollars with more questionable colors in my opinion in straight grade holders.

With that said the coin is attractive and worth more than $28 dollars in a QT holder.

Of course if it grades sky is the limit.

Bobby,

Send that in, its at least a 50/50 shot. I hope you get it! DO NOT send it to NGC. PCGS is your best bet IMO.

Nick

Bit the bullet! It's in the mail tomorrow!! :wishluck:

"Also I have seen plenty of peace dollars with more questionable colors in my opinion in straight grade holders."

Right, I agree.

"....its at least a 50/50 shot."

I agree with this, as well. If you are feeling lucky, give the dice a roll.

That toning is NT. But unfortunately not MA - at least for now. I think its definitely worth sending in several times at all of the TPGs including ANACs and ICG. I would spend at least $100-$200 in fees.

In any plastic it will garner a nice premium.

It has the look & color of several toned Peace $ I have removed from those 20th Century framed sets. However, in those instances all of those were reverse toners.

It also has the look of a cleaned and retoned Peace $. You will see some of the most vivid colors on those coins that have been lightly cleaned/dipped and then put into an album.

Do it show any evidence of the slightest cleaning ?

None-the-less I would try and try again to get it into plastic. And if you do and want to sell it let me know I would be willing to pay a very strong price for it.

Nice pick up !

I would spend at least $100-$200 in fees...

It also has the look of a cleaned and retoned Peace $. You will see some of the most vivid colors on those coins that have been lightly cleaned/dipped and then put into an album.

Do it show any evidence of the slightest cleaning ?

You would pay $100-$200 to holder a coin that you believe to be a problem coin? Even if the piece was NT, being cleaned and retuned would kill any hope of a huge premium (defined as one which would warrant the grading fees you mentioned).

It goes out in the morning. If this coin had an old dip then I don't think it was too bad. The coin has some very nice luster and my 7x didn't see any hairlines. If anything knocks it down, it should just be if the toning is questionable by the graders.

It goes out in the morning. If this coin had an old dip then I don't think it was too bad. The coin has some very nice luster and my 7x didn't see any hairlines. If anything knocks it down, it should just be if the toning is questionable by the graders.

Good luck! I hope it slabs with a straight grade. If it does, you will definitely make a nice profit.

Well, my knee jerk gut reaction was not positive about the colors encountered on this particular Peace dollar, looks more like an eddy current manipulated toning...but what the heck do I know.

Good luck on the submission, if it holders with a grade you have a potential "You Suck" award.

I would vote AT. Still, it might be worth it to send it in to see if you can get it graded, as if it grades you've made a bundle.

In any case, a fun coin.

Well as I hope it grades, I know its still maybe a 50/50 chance. Its not really about the money for me but the hopes that I may have a very nice coin for my collection. If it gets a QT, then I may consider selling it to recoup my fees, not sure yet. If it does grade, then I will probably keep it as a great deal I finally found with my years of collecting. lol

(thumbs u

Well as I hope it grades, I know its still maybe a 50/50 chance. Its not really about the money for me but the hopes that I may have a very nice coin for my collection. If it gets a QT, then I may consider selling it to recoup my fees, not sure yet. If it does grade, then I will probably keep it as a great deal I finally found with my years of collecting. lol

Bobby, where did you come up with your highly optimistic "I know its still maybe a 50/50 chance"? With that type of color on a Pece Dollar, even if it were naturally toned, the chances of NGC or PCGS awarding it a grade (as opposed to a QT or AT designation), are far, far less than 50-50.

"Bobby, I don't know about you... but RWB almost always offends me... but not absolutely every time."

Sorry, I'll try to do better -- I promise. May I have another bowl of gruel, Mr. Bumble, sir? Please?

:)

PS: I hope that my initial comment was wrong....It's usually good when folks can rescue a coin.

Bobby, where did you come up with your highly optimistic "I know its still maybe a 50/50 chance"? With that type of color on a Pece Dollar, even if it were naturally toned, the chances of NGC or PCGS awarding it a grade (as opposed to a QT or AT designation), are far, far less than 50-50.

Well Mark, by weighing all the posts I received here and ats, it came down to 50% saying No, and 50% saying yea. That was my highly technical reasoning behind a 50/50 chance of it grading. lol

Well Mark, by weighing all the posts I received here and ats, it came down to 50% saying No, and 50% saying yea. That was my highly technical reasoning behind a 50/50 chance of it grading. lol

Bobby, you need ot know which ones to weigh more heavily. ;)

I am tempted to read through the threads and count, but will take your word for it :D

Bobby, you need ot know which ones to weigh more heavily. ;)

I am tempted to read through the threads and count, but will take your word for it :D

I hear ya! (thumbs u

Good Evening.

I understand your point.

The math you are using to reach the conclusion is, ummmm, questionable I think,

and the posit you present, based on the Post you are replying to, is not logical.

"Well as I hope it grades, I know its still maybe a 50/50 chance."

It is 1 over 4, for grade, 1 over 8 for color, and 1 over 2 for grade and color.

"...the chances of NGC or PCGS awarding it a grade..."

I put your odds of it slabbing at 3%.

The color looks highly questionable.

Well to tell you the truth Jason, I would rather it come back QT rather than AT. lol

That is interesting.

Why 3%, and how is is calculated, and how can you be so certain from a picture on a computer?

I understand it may look a certain way to you, in your opinion.

I am more interested in the 3%.

Is this based on an actuarial table developed over time, from actual Submittals by color/type/condition, to TPGs?

The percentage you use for odds seems so finite.

What data mining was used?

Highly questionable why?

A little questionable, I can relate, but even then without coin in hand, I don't think you can support the odds proffered.

That is interesting.

Why 3%, and how is is calculated, and how can you be so certain from a picture on a computer?

Is this based on an actuarial table developed over time, from actual Submittals by color/type/condition, to TPGs?

Highly questionable why?

A little questionable, I can relate, but even then without coin in hand, I don't think you can support the odds proffered.

Instead of all this , why not put your money where you mouth is. Offer Jason a wager and ask for 32 to 1 odds. Personally, I think those odds are too high. I will give you action at 10 to 1. And Jason is right, the toning is highly questionable, and you don't need to see the coin in hand to come to that conclusion.

That is interesting.

Highly questionable why?

Instead of all this , why not put your money where you mouth is. Offer Jason a wager and ask for 32 to 1 odds. Personally, I think those odds are too high. I will give you action at 10 to 1. And Jason is right, the toning is highly questionable, and you don't need to see the coin in hand to come to that conclusion.

Why are you lowballing so badly and offering only 10-1 action? Based on your assessment of the images of the coin and the chances that it would grade, you should be giving a minimum of 30-1.

Why can't someone have an opinion without a need to put their money where their mouth is?

Why can't someone have an opinion without a need to put their money where their mouth is?

Cause nothing says "I got bigger b*lls than you" more than a cash bet with huge odds. It is the modern equivalent to the duel at 10 paces... lol

f346a.jpg