• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'll take Numismatic Potpourri for $10 Vanna

12 posts in this topic

Lots of Summertime Registry Stuff

I just returned from a great vacation in New Hampshire's White Mountains. My wife and I hiked a few trails, sipped the local brews (well me, she is hard to get away from the Pinot Grigio), and of course pursued & caught a bunch native wild brookies on the fly, they are not big but lots of fun on a 3 wt.

On to coins, and to remember the 2000 NH state Quarter, I have attached a pic of where the Old Man in The Mountain once stood, (he fell in 2003) watchfully overlooking Profile Lake. Today, park visitors can look through installed "profilers" , and marry up the image of where the Old Man of the Mountain once resided, pretty cool. Also, visited the Flume Gorge nearby, a true natural wonder !

Next, I've already booked a few shows, finally getting back to FUN in Jan, my RCI timeshare works well , and I am "locked in" for the final Orlando show before it moves to Tampa. I also will be in GA in August visiting my mom, and checking out my property in Blairsville so added the Blue Ridge Show in Dalton to the trip.

I will shortly be making plans to attend the NH Coin Show in Manchester in Oct and Balt as always in November, gotta love retirement at 60, OMG I'll be 60 in less than 4 weeks andlife is good, with my buddy Bogart's absence the lone negative. All on the board that read my GOOD FOR A SCENT journal will be happy to know that we are hopefully on track for another mini schnauzer this November and that will be the best of all !

Regarding the registry, just got back last month eight 1/20 oz Pandas from NGC grading , 4 came back 70 , the other 4 were graded 69. The set sits at # 4 , pretty funny, my highest ranked set !

I also terminated my 19th Century type set without gold, and re-created it "with Gold" as I am scheduled to receive my Saddle Ridge Hoard coin this week. Kagins was easy to work with and held delivery until my return from vacation. I am pretty finicky on my registry sets, I have a self imposed 1 coin to 1 set rule so expanding to the full 19th century set seemed the best route for me.

Oh, and finally, the reason that stimulated my urge to post, just checked the US Mint website and see that my $5 Unc HOF commem is on the way. I'm now sittin' at 195K points and soon rockets will flare, bells and whistles will go off whoo whoo !!!

Hope everybody is having a great summer. I read Wissahickon's Fathers Day journal the other day, much reflection, my dad a WWII vet passed a few years ago and I always think of the opportunities to succeed that I was afforded.

As always, thanks for reading,

Rich

15605.JPG

See more journals by RichH

Awesome Rich! It sounds like you had a great vacation with another to come in January for FUN! One of these years I'll have to get down there but it looks like that will be in Tampa. Congratulations on the Saddle Ridge Double Eagle! Now both of our collections have coins with a common pedigree. Like you, I made a separate slot for my Saddle Ridge Double Eagle in my gold type set named "Gary's Gold Rush". Congratulations on 200,000 registry points, I might be joining you except liquidating my IKEs set me back some.

Take care and have a great visit with your Mom!

Gary

Thanks Gary.

Yes, you will love FUN and need to go at least once. I went in 1999 and 2007, so seems like I am on an 8 year unintended cycle. If you do plan a trip please let me know and I will offer you a great deal on my timeshare. My digs this year are right on International Drive close to the convention center.

Cheers !

Rich

Hi Rich,

It sounds like you and your wife had a very nice vacation, and many more wonderful plans for the summer!! I'm sure it will be especially nice to visit with your mom. I'm envious my friend, I must say, as most of my summer is being taken up with my second to last semester of Graduate School ( the term ends August 15th), but my girlfriend and I are still finding time for some fun that is mostly coin related :)

Congratulations on your grades and new acquisitions!! It must be exciting to have your Saddle Ridge hoard piece finally set to arrive. I just got the last competitive coin I needed to complete my Ottoman 20 Para set in the mail two days ago, the 1327 No Regnal issue, and I was so excited!! It's such a great feeling to get a new coin in the mail, one that cannot be beat. I have to go pick up my Turkish Halide Edip Adivar silver 50 Lira commemorative that I ordered from the Turkish Mint at the post office tomorrow and the US Mint should be shipping my 2014 Proof Silver Eagle any day now. And congrats on that total score!! I'm sure that those pandas, your Saddle Ridge Hoard piece and your $5 HOF will definitely get you to 200,000 points!!

Have fun at the shows and on the rest of your journeys this summer, and I hope the shows have many new acquisitions for you!

~Tom

Tom,

lol, better you then me with regard to Grad School, finished with my MBA 31 years ago, WOW but it was certainly worth it.

Yes, its great to get a few coins in the mail. lots of fun, got the HOF earlier today, still waiting on the Saddle Ridge piece.

Congrats on your continued Ottoman success ! I've started to consider adding a few foreign coins, and if I do, I will focus on the German Empire and Prussian State as that is my heritage, as you may have guessed from my previous Bismarck comment.

Cheers !

Rich

Rich,

Nice Pic!! With land like that there are some nice rivers Close By!! :)

Sounds like you had a great vacation!! I passed 300,000 points a month ago --- didn't hear the bells and whistles. (shrug)

Rick

Rich!!

We have something else in common aside from our love of coins and suffering through graduate school......I'm of German/Prussian descent on my maternal side myself!! I have several Prussian coins myself, and they really are lovely. They'd make a great addition to your collection.

~Tom

I have personally toyed with the idea of collecting German victory talers of which I have these two. Additionally, I am also of German descent but I'm not quite sure which German state my lineage goes through.

Gary

2037799_Full_Obv.jpg

2025776_Full_Obv.jpg

Great stuff guys.

Tom - I think when ready, I will focus on Prussia/German Empire 1862 - 1890 which covers Bismarck from his appointment as Minister of Prussia until his dismissal as Chancellor of Germany.

Gary - Those are spectacular Victory Talers amazingly presented ( per your usual efforts )

Cheers !

Rich

Rich-

That is some awesome scenery. It sounds like things are going well.

As we get older----we become wiser, make better decisions & we are more appreciative of who & what we have----hence more at peace with ourselves, at least that is what I find.

I plan to make it to FUN someday, as well.

Glad to hear that you're giving a new pooch a good home, too. Kudos to you!

Thanks Walkerfan totally agree, definitely smarter as we get older as we learn from our past mistakes.

Yes the Jan FUN show has a buzz ,I guess because its the 1st show of the year, the facilities are top notch and probably half the dealers and many in attendance are loving the break from the cold. Do try to attend at least once. My bucket list for shows is Central States and then Long Beach.

My wife is such a sweet heart that she will stay home with the new pooch, boy will that pup be pampered !

Rich