• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes a coin "pop" for you?

32 posts in this topic

Last week I had the pleasure of examining a full, mint sealed bag of 1921 Peace dollars. There were several very nice condition coins and the overall run was about MS63-64. Nice luster, mostly nice surfaces, etc. But, not one coin had any "pop" or "jumped out" at me....not one in 1,000. Yes, the bag was clearly from the later production days, but this was much like searching a bag of Ikes or other dull, ugly coins.

What does it take for a coin to jump at you (other than mounting it on a frog.)

No doubt in my mind ... a coin like this - of which I would never be able to own. Beautiful aged original toned with original mint luster.

newman_1796_25c_67.jpg

Great question because you're really asking about eye appeal and that can change from person to person. I generally like flashy coins with bright fields and some contrast however, satiny looking coins with no marks will grade higher. I like attractive toning with golds most often. All of these have "pop" that gets me excited.

What I don't like are bag marked morgans with a million hits in all directions no matter how minor. I also am not fond of weak struck BU coins.

Finally, I rarely like circulated coins no matter the pedigree. There's no "pop" left.

Conditionally scarce, strike rarities in high grade with sharp details and original luster with no singularly distracting blemishes or marks. If they are colorfully toned----that is a plus, too.

I like copper so for me it a coin with smooth, hard surface with minimal or no marks and an even brown color. The shade of brown doesn't matter that much but a medium chocolate is really nice. It doesn't even have to be high grade. A Fine or VF can "pop" as well, if it has that look.

GREAT, AMAZING, EXTRAORDINARY EYE APPEAL

(thumbs u +1

edit to add:

Needle sharp strike ,Blazing Luster, and any other adjective used to describe fantastic colors.

I know what you mean, but "dripping luster" still sounds like a sinus infection.... :)

Last week I had the pleasure of examining a full, mint sealed bag of 1921 Peace dollars. There were several very nice condition coins and the overall run was about MS63-64. Nice luster, mostly nice surfaces, etc. But, not one coin had any "pop" or "jumped out" at me....not one in 1,000. Yes, the bag was clearly from the later production days, but this was much like searching a bag of Ikes or other dull, ugly coins.

What does it take for a coin to jump at you (other than mounting it on a frog.)

You have such interesting questions.

No doubt in my mind ... a coin like this - of which I would never be able to own. Beautiful aged original toned with original mint luster.

newman_1796_25c_67.jpg

While I like the piece very much, I don't think I would call the toning completely original. It looks like secondary toning to me after a dip. Nevertheless the coin is, in my opinion, desirable and market acceptable; I just caution you about the use of "original" as an absolute when in reality, it is more along the lines of a spectrum.

newman_1796_25c_67.jpg

While I like the piece very much, I don't think I would call the toning completely original. It looks like secondary toning to me after a dip.

I wasn't aware that Newman dipped his coins, or Green for that matter.

That is the MS67+* that sold for 1.5 Million plus...

Maybe more people should dip their coins. ;)

Newman did not "dip" his coins. Toning came from the Green Collection album pages that housed many of the coins for decades.

Newman did not "dip" his coins. Toning came from the Green Collection album pages that housed many of the coins for decades.

I think you should have been replying to Kenny and not me. I thought it was clearly obvious I was being facetious.

1) Lustre. 2) color. If the coin has lustre and color then I'm all in

MJ

Since I am strictly a circulated silver coin collector, this kind of color/dirt ratio makes a coin "pop" for me.

_57-tile_zps12f44a6c.jpg

"Very nice, and I don't normally care for commemoratives. But that one has a really nice look to it."

(thumbs u