• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes a coin "pop" for you?

32 posts in this topic

I notice I seem to be the only one who believes a circulated coin can "pop" too.

Nope :) . What makes a coin "pop" for me is contrast. For silver, that would be generally dark grey surfaces with the devices showing dove-grey due to circulation.

I get less excited by luster than many people do, because if someone likes luster so much, all they have to do is go buy a roll of current Kennedy half-dollars and bam! - all the "luster" one could possibly desire.

"Circ cam" takes time, patience, and honest circulation for a coin to develop, all the while avoiding damage and the jeweler's cleaning cloth :) . Just gives deeper satisfaction to me.

Sorry Roger, but aside from just being something cool for having survived for so long, a mint bag of UNC 1921 Peace dollars would have less fascination for me than a bag of honestly circulated bust half-dollars!