• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

13 Kennedy coins to be released in 2014...

47 posts in this topic

Didn't see this here....

The mint is pulling all the stops out for this one. :eek:

One dual dated proof gold. (0.75oz, .9999 fine.)

Five 90% silver. (The regular, annual S-mint Silver Proof; and 4-coin set of 50th anniversary 1964 relief coins: A P-mint proof, a W-mint reverse proof, an S-mint enhanced finish specimen and a D-mint uncirculated. These four silver halves will only be available in the set.)

Seven clads. (50th anniversary P&D-mint uncirculated (only available in a set), and the regular, annually released S-mint proof, P&D mint set uncirculated, and the P&D circulated quality.)

The yearly offerings are available now. The clad 50th set will go on sale July 24. No timetable for the 50th Au or Ag.

No mintages announced. I'm going to bet they're going to be minted to demand.

50th Anniversary Kennedy Coin World Article

Gosh, won't this be fun... Or not... ;)

I should probably add the disclaimer that I think Ben got a bum deal in '64...

If I were a Kennedy Half collector, I would have had to start saving for all these options last year! Sometimes I wish the US Mint would stop doing us any favors. Yikes, talk about overkill. I can understand something to mark the occasion of the 50th, but all this? At any rate I won't be standing in line at the ANA show to submit my coins for the special PCGS and NGC ANA labels either.

Gary

I can understand something to mark the occasion of the 50th, but all this?

It's to raise awareness among the YNs. According to a recent survey sponsored by the U.S. Mint 56% of YNs think Kennedy was named after an airport.

It doesn't interest me, whatsoever, but if the YNs enjoy it and it helps promote awareness, then I am all for it.
I really don't think that this set will attract any YNs as It'll be out of their price range.

BUT, exposure from their folks might be incentive enough to start an interest in Kennedy's as the Series is easy enough to obtain with decent examples from circulation.

It's to raise awareness among the YNs. According to a recent survey sponsored by the U.S. Mint 56% of YNs think Kennedy was named after an airport.

Here they think he was named after an expressway.

And, just to keep things on-topic, if you get on the Kennedy Expressway (I-90) from Downtown Chicago, you'll eventually get to Rosemont, where the Mint will be selling Kennedy sets at the ANA convention.

Im getting all 'Lucky 13" Kennedys... you would think with that family's luck the Mint would have gone with 12 or 14 coins.

I love it. Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to provide a little mystique and help boost sales. This is a smart Mint, probably the smartest we ever had. lol

These people are headed down the same road as the post office and the philatelic hobby. Back in the 1960s stamp collecting was the biggest hobby going. There were far more stamp than coin collectors. But the Post Office Department ruined it by issuing an endless stream of commemorative stamps. Not only was keeping up with this mass daunting, it was also disgusting because many of the designs were simply awful. Then the post office came up with the brilliant idea that the venerable plate block was obsolete. Instead of requiring the collector to buy four stamps, they now had to buy a whole sheet.

After a while the stamp collectors just threw up their hands. They stopped buying the hobby when into a steep decline. Today stamp collecting is a worst position than the coin market for modern Proof sets and commemorative coins. People are calling it "dead."

Thirteen JFK half dollars for 2014? That's overkill, plain and simple.

At least when it comes to coins, you always have people who would buy coins for their metal content. Even though precious metals are cooling off now, they will get hot again and put together with inflation, I think we will see $50+ silver and $2000+ gold in the future. Unfortunately, I don't know when that will happen.

I think that 13 kennedy halves for this year is stupid and creating a 24k gold for the 50th annivesary of the half is stupid. They should do a 2014 W half dollar, like they did with the Roosevelt dime in 1996. At least that would help to generate interest in mint sets which have been sagging as of late with the lower and lower mintages.

If they wanted to create a gold kennedy, as stated earlier in the thread, 2017 (the 100th annivesary of his birth) would be much more fitting.

The only interest, outside of coin collectors, that this mess will generate will be among the turkeys who silver or gold plate circulating halves and sell them as "special editions" or similar krap. The public does not know anything about the halves and will buy loads of junk - only to be disillusioned when they try to sell their "rare and important treasured heirlooms."

In my opinion, this is one of the stupidest ideas to come out of the US Mint in a generation. Usually, it is Congress who imposes stupid coin issues, but this time it's evidently home-grown. I would have hoped that Treasurer Rios would nip this absurdity, but I guess she's busy.

Yep, get ready for the hucksters on TV to start selling gold plated "special edition" Kennedy half dollars, that are "just like the "rare" gold ones that are worth thousands of dollars." You can line it up beside your 1929 "restrike" half eagle, "layered in genuine 24 karat gold, the most pure form of gold available."

Maybe I should become a -script writer for the hucksters. What do you think? ;)

"...you the buyers of the US Mint products are the US Mint's boss."

Uh....nope. Congress is the ultimate "boss" and the Treasurer of the U.S. is the present administrative boss. There is no official Director of the Mint. The buying public, of any ilk, have almost no influence.

"...you the buyers of the US Mint products are the US Mint's boss."

Uh....nope. Congress is the ultimate "boss" and the Treasurer of the U.S. is the present administrative boss. There is no official Director of the Mint. The buying public, of any ilk, have almost no influence.

But collectors can protest by not buying the products. Didn't collectors in the early 20th century protest the sand blast and matte proofs by annually declining sales which culminated in the US Mint ending proof coins in 1916. Wasn't it pressure from the public that encouraged the US Mint to begin making proof coins again in 1936, and in 1950?

The public also has sent petitions to the US Mint in the past too.

Sorry to be the bearer of reality, but much of what you just posted is incorrect.

But collectors can protest by not buying the products.

A. Most buyers are not the folks who attend coins shows, or actively participate in the hobby. First-day covers and mint spoons come to mind.

B. “Not buying” is a post-production event, and does not affect decisions to produce one coin or another.

Didn't collectors in the early 20th century protest the sand blast and matte proofs by annually declining sales…?

A. Only gold proofs were sandblasted for 1908, 1911-15. A very small number were sold annually and that number was consistent with old brilliant Liberty proofs, new sandblast Saint-Gaudens proofs or satin finish Saint-Gaudens proofs.

B. Matte proof Lincoln cents and Buffalo nickels were not liked by collectors, who preferred the old mirror finish.

…Which culminated in the US Mint ending proof coins in 1916.

A. Only indirectly. Philadelphia Mint Superintendent Adam Joyce recommended ending proof coins because the new designs could not be polished, and collectors did not like the matte minor coins. He also felt that the matte finish and sandblasting created defaced coins that could not be put into circulation, which was the ultimate intent of any coinage.

Wasn't it pressure from the public that encouraged the US Mint to begin making proof coins again in 1936, and in 1950?

A. Collectors wrote asking about proof coins from 1916 and into 1936. The reason proof sets were restarted goes to FDR’s friend Louis Howe. He wanted a means of engaging coin collectors much as FDR’s stamp collecting hobby had excited philatelists. His first suggestion was to sell gold coins to collectors, but this was immediately shot down by Treasury Counsel Oliphant. Someone – possibly mint director Ross’ personal secretary, Edness Wilkins – suggested proof coins.

B. After WW-II the mint had planned on resuming proof coinage in 1947, they made more than enough money from sales to pay for production plus a nice profit. But disputes with Congress about funding and the use of profits, delayed introduction until 1950.

There are modern published books and articles dealing with these and many other numismatic subjects. You can usually borrow them from the ANA or your local library (ILL), or buy them for your library. (Try Wizard Coin Supply as a start.)

Im getting all 'Lucky 13" Kennedys... you would think with that family's luck the Mint would have gone with 12 or 14 coins.

I love it. Nothing like a good conspiracy theory to provide a little mystique and help boost sales. This is a smart Mint, probably the smartest we ever had. lol

Being from Massachusetts I am a big Kennedy fan,so. I will be buying at least the gold one.

:)

Being from Massachusetts I am a big Kennedy fan,so. I will be buying at least the gold one.

At least this would give a boost to the Kennedy Half Dollar series, in my opinion which is a bit underrated

Didn't see this here....

It has YET to be determined that the US Mint is "pulling all the stops out" since from what I can tell, the design they ended up with will only have a dual date and IMO, looks like they did as little as possible and at the last minute.

I would be pleasantly surprised if anything with a quality design actually came out of this program.

But that's just me.................

At least this would give a boost to the Kennedy Half Dollar series, in my opinion which is a bit underrated

I think that's a good point, I think it will.

Didn't see this here....

It has YET to be determined that the US Mint is "pulling all the stops out" since from what I can tell, the design they ended up with will only have a dual date and IMO, looks like they did as little as possible and at the last minute.

I would be pleasantly surprised if anything with a quality design actually came out of this program.

But that's just me.................

By pulling all the stops, I meant the dual dated gold, and all four finishes on the silver the mint has tried, a reverse proof, enhanced finish, matte uncirculated and proof, with each mint contributing to the program.

I was fully expecting a reverse proof Denver ASE this year. It's the only mint that hasn't done one.

Instead, we'll get everything the mint has tried on the ASE's. Truthfully, I'm surprised there won't be a curved coin... :grin:

The only interest, outside of coin collectors, that this mess will generate will be among the turkeys who silver or gold plate circulating halves and sell them as "special editions" or similar krap. The public does not know anything about the halves and will buy loads of junk - only to be disillusioned when they try to sell their "rare and important treasured heirlooms."

Very true, you know most of us have seen those "20th and 25th anniversary gold plated Kennedys with the counterstamped with the dates 1960 and 1980 or 1985. I can see it now, advertisements discussing the "dual dated" gold Kennedy half dollar and then selling a gold plated 2014 Kennedy with the "dual date" 1964 2014 counterstamped into it.