• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

13 Kennedy coins to be released in 2014...

47 posts in this topic

The only interest, outside of coin collectors, that this mess will generate will be among the turkeys who silver or gold plate circulating halves and sell them as "special editions" or similar krap. The public does not know anything about the halves and will buy loads of junk - only to be disillusioned when they try to sell their "rare and important treasured heirlooms."

Very true, you know most of us have seen those "20th and 25th anniversary gold plated Kennedys with the counterstamped with the dates 1960 and 1980 or 1985. I can see it now, advertisements discussing the "dual dated" gold Kennedy half dollar and then selling a gold plated 2014 Kennedy with the "dual date" 1964 2014 counterstamped into it.

Nothing would surprise me any more.

Still, an enhanced unc coin would be very beautiful to look at. I have the 2013 West Point anniversary set and the enhanced unc coin is very beautiful to look at with the different shades of frosting. Almost like a black and white picture.

I used to be an avid stamp collector until they printed me out of money. I just gave up about 3 years ago. I had every sheet, every plate block, every coil and all of the singles. It just became too expensive

to continue on. Now the mint seems to be heading down the same path. I have my collection and a collection for each of my 5 grandchildren. It was bad enough buying mint sets and proof sets. So the mint came along about 3 years ago and added a bu "s" mint quarter to all of the parks quarters for no real reason. This resulted in anyone who collects those having to by blank pages for their albums for the

extra quarters. Now we are going to have a batch of kennedy's that they didn't tell the album people about and more blank pages to put them into as well as the expense of buying them.

In case anyone is still interested:

United States Mint Announces Release of Kennedy Half-Dollar Coin 50th Anniversary Products

No production limits announced (my money is still on a mint-to-demand, but there will be a 5 coin limit:

All purchases of these products will be subject to an order limit of five of each product per household. The bureau will re-evaluate the order limit as necessary over the period these products are available for sale.

Silver set won't be released until this fall.

I can understand something to mark the occasion of the 50th, but all this?

It's to raise awareness among the YNs. According to a recent survey sponsored by the U.S. Mint 56% of YNs think Kennedy was named after an airport.

Its simply another profit opportunity that is too good to pass up. Unlike many other modern commemoratives, the event is worth commemorating, but fewer coins would have been better.

At least this would give a boost to the Kennedy Half Dollar series, in my opinion which is a bit underrated

Under rated compared to what other series?

The coins are cheap compared to their classic predecessors (whether half dollars or otherwise) but then, they aren't remotely scarce except in the narrow (and in my opinion, completely arbitrary) sense of "grade rarity" and other specialized collecting.

Another factor which I think works against this coin is that it isn't really a circulating series, even though I understand it is still struck for mint sets.

The clad uncirc set has made it into the mint catalog, but doesn't seem to be indexed into the menus yet.

Is there any difference between these coins and the ones you get in the regular mint set comprising all of the coins?

There is supposed to be. the coins in the mint set are the typical flat low relief business strike coins, while the coins in the two piece clad set are supposed to be higher relief and use the original 1964 design (The bust on the Kennedy half has been modified several times over the years.) As I have said before I will believe it when I see it. The Mint has has used that same "Higher relief, original design" story before and not delivered on it.

There is supposed to be. the coins in the mint set are the typical flat low relief business strike coins, while the coins in the two piece clad set are supposed to be higher relief and use the original 1964 design (The bust on the Kennedy half has been modified several times over the years.) As I have said before I will believe it when I see it. The Mint has has used that same "Higher relief, original design" story before and not delivered on it.

I'm also upset that the mint didn't restore the mint mark to the reverse as it was in 1964. Now that's originality.

Here's exactly what the mint states .No where do they state that the coins will be struck in high relief like the 1964 original coins.Following is the mint description of the uncirculated set;

This special uncirculated two-coin set was designed to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy half-dollar first released in 1964. Each coin features the Kennedy portrait design on the obverse (heads) with the year 2014. Something special for any collector or the perfect gift!

The set includes two 2014 Kennedy half-dollars with uncirculated finishes, one each from the United States Mint at Philadelphia and Denver.

So, based upon that release from the mint, I don't see where they are any different then in the uncirculated sets.I do agree that the mint should have put the mint marks on the reverse side as they did with the originals.

I'll wait for someone else to be the guinea pig and report whether his order is the same as the standard mint set or not. I don't think I need two more regular Kennedys.

NGC has published submission guidelines....

New NGC Labels For Kennedy Half Dollar 50th Anniversary Commemoratives

Silver and clad has to be submitted under Early Bird plus $5 for ER? The gold has to be submitted under the Express Tier? Seriously?

Submit the silver and clad 50th anniversary half dollars under the Early Bird Tier or higher (Add $5 per coin for Early Releases or First Releases designation).

Submit the gold 50th anniversary half dollar under the Express Tier or higher. Tier requirements for ANA INAUGURAL RELEASES will be posted at the NGC booth at the ANA show.

So, over $300 to grade a full set. I think I'll pass, thanks.

So, based upon that release from the mint, I don't see where they are any different then in the uncirculated sets.I do agree that the mint should have put the mint marks on the reverse side as they did with the originals.

From the K14 product page on the Mint's website:

The designs on the coins replicate the portrait on the 1964 design:

Obverse: The design shows a portrait of John Fitzgerald Kennedy, the youngest-ever-elected president. United States Mint Sculptor-Engraver Gilroy Roberts based this profile on a portrait prepared for Kennedy’s presidential medal. Roberts created his original 1964 design shortly after Kennedy’s assassination.

I assume "replicate the portrait on the 1964 design" means they'll have the '64 relief, but you never know... :grin:

NGC has published submission guidelines....

New NGC Labels For Kennedy Half Dollar 50th Anniversary Commemoratives

Silver and clad has to be submitted under Early Bird plus $5 for ER? The gold has to be submitted under the Express Tier? Seriously?

Submit the silver and clad 50th anniversary half dollars under the Early Bird Tier or higher (Add $5 per coin for Early Releases or First Releases designation).

Submit the gold 50th anniversary half dollar under the Express Tier or higher. Tier requirements for ANA INAUGURAL RELEASES will be posted at the NGC booth at the ANA show.

So, over $300 to grade a full set. I think I'll pass, thanks.

With the Silver at 250% of Spot & and the Gold 125% of Spot that puts a full graded set at Approximately $1800.00...!

Sounds Leget... "-(