• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do ??? Coin - numdrum inside...

19 posts in this topic

There are four coins offered to you... all of the same series but different dates.

Lets say they cost $10,000 a piece (and you have the money for 2 but its a stretch and you dont have enough to buy all 4)...

2 coins by one dealer and 2 by another dealer...

Dealer A's coins are beautiful, accurately graded but are common date coins that might be priced at the max level...

Dealer B's coins are not as pretty as Dealer A's but they are harder date/mint marks to find and are low pop coins ( 3 and 4 ) one of the coins being a top pop. They are pretty but not as nice as A's coins.

What do you do ? Do you buy the more eye appealing coins that might be maxed out in price or do you buy the more difficult to find date/mint mark lower pop coins that are more reasonably priced based on pop report ?

Help me with my Coin - nundrum....

Thanks... and I dont have photos of the coins.. sorry.

If it's one or the other, it should be a relatively easy call.

Buy the ones that matter the most to you, regardless of why they matter the most. All things considered, which ones will make you happier?

Personally, I usually care a lot more about quality and appearance than I do scarcity and population numbers. But to each, his own.

There are four coins offered to you... all of the same series but different dates.

Lets say they cost $10,000 a piece (and you have the money for 2 but its a stretch and you dont have enough to buy all 4)...

2 coins by one dealer and 2 by another dealer...

Dealer A's coins are beautiful, accurately graded but are common date coins that might be priced at the max level...

Dealer B's coins are not as pretty as Dealer A's but they are harder date/mint marks to find and are low pop coins ( 3 and 4 ) one of the coins being a top pop. They are pretty but not as nice as A's coins.

What do you do ? Do you buy the more eye appealing coins that might be maxed out in price or do you buy the more difficult to find date/mint mark lower pop coins that are more reasonably priced based on pop report ?

Help me with my Coin - nundrum....

Thanks... and I dont have photos of the coins.. sorry.

As mark said, buy the ones that matter most to you.

I prefer better quality to scarcity, but my personal opinion is that neither sounds like a great option, and you might be picking the lesser of two evils to satisfy your coin fix. I would take a step back and reconsider both. Option A is on the expensive side, option B is lower quality.

If you are intent upon taking action and just can't make a decision, why not buy one of each?

I like hard dates, but only if I find them attractive

At 20k which is a whole lotta to me, I would buy none of them if it caused any type of coin nundrum.

I would have to know it was exactly what I wanted.

Buy the ones that matter the most to you, regardless of why they matter the most. All things considered, which ones will make you happier?

Personally, I usually care a lot more about quality and appearance than I do scarcity and population numbers. But to each, his own.

Ahhh wise words from a wise man...

And thats kinda of where I was headed but both sets of coins speak to me in different but equally as important of ways...

One set for being prettier and more breathtaking and the other set for being a white whale that I am chasing.

I am leaning towards B since it is unlikely these coins will re-enter the market once gone. The other coins are easier to find.

Okay I will add some information...

The two low pop coins are * coins. In the past year there have only been 5 * coins made in this entire series. And star coins represent less than .00005% of all coins graded in this series. They are rare to say the least. I have made 5 of the total # stars in the series.

The two coins from Dealer A are rare but no where near as rare as the star coins. And they would basically be dups whereas the star coins would not be.

Ahhh wise words from a wise man...

And thats kinda of where I was headed but both sets of coins speak to me in different but equally as important of ways...

One set for being prettier and more breathtaking and the other set for being a white whale that I am chasing.

I am leaning towards B since it is unlikely these coins will re-enter the market once gone. The other coins are easier to find.

Okay I will add some information...

The two low pop coins are * coins. In the past year there have only been 5 * coins made in this entire series. And star coins represent less than .00005% of all coins graded in this series. They are rare to say the least. I have made 5 of the total # stars in the series.

The two coins from Dealer A are rare but no where near as rare as the star coins. And they would basically be dups whereas the star coins would not be.

I wouldn't care about the stars nearly as much as I would about what the COINS look like. Not all stars are created equally, or even necessarily deserved, for that matter.

You said you are leaning towards B, which you described as: "Dealer B's coins are not as pretty as Dealer A's but they are harder date/mint marks to find and are low pop coins ( 3 and 4 ) one of the coins being a top pop"

If they aren't as pretty as dealer A's coins, why concern yourself with them (and their stars)? You don't sound as if you are pursuing coins. But rather, you sound as if you are chasing designations - they are not the same as rarity.

I wouldn't care about the stars nearly as much as I would about what the COINS look like. Not all stars are created equally, or even necessarily deserved, for that matter.

You said you are leaning towards B, which you described as: "Dealer B's coins are not as pretty as Dealer A's but they are harder date/mint marks to find and are low pop coins ( 3 and 4 ) one of the coins being a top pop"

If they aren't as pretty as dealer A's coins, why concern yourself with them (and their stars)? You don't sound as if you are pursuing coins. But rather, you sound as if you are chasing designations - they are not the same as rarity.

Its more of a goal to have a complete date/mintmark set all with * designated coins... not really anything different that someone that wants to complete a set of Full Head SLQs, Full Bell Line Franklin Halves or Full Band Mercury Dimes. So yes, I am talking about conditional rarity not actual rarity. I guess once you hit one goal you step up to the next one. Is it silly - to some extent yes - but its also about return on investment.

I have owned and sold prettier coins than the coins that are offered by Dealer A. They are very nice and very expensive for what they are. So there's a part of me that thinks those coins are way overpriced. I have a feeling that I would be buried in Dealer A's coins while I think there is a chance of profit in Dealer B's coins.

Also, I have never had a chance to own * designated coin in these two particular year/mintmark combos. This is a unique opportunity.

It really is a difficult decision for me to make.

Option A----quality is much more important IMHO, as long as they are not ridiculously over-priced. I can't imagine that a common coin would be priced that closely to a rare one.

If they weren't in holders which ones would you want?

EDIT: which ones will you have more regret if you DON'T buy them? If option A is available every day and option B is available once every few years are you going to have a lot of regret for not buying option B?

I mean in the end if you buy option B and change your mind you would possibly be able to put those back on the market and recoup your $$ to buy option A that is always available. The opposite can't be said if I understand your dilemma.

It is a tough call...good luck.

EDIT: which ones will you have more regret if you DON'T buy them? If option A is available every day and option B is available once every few years are you going to have a lot of regret for not buying option B?

I mean in the end if you buy option B and change your mind you would possibly be able to put those back on the market and recoup your $$ to buy option A that is always available. The opposite can't be said if I understand your dilemma.

Thats a very good point. I would actually be worried about Dealer A's coins not getting into a holder if they were raw. Dealer B's coins are toned but appear more NT.

And your logic is basically my logic. I dont think I would be buried in Dealer B's coins and I could always resell them and either take less of a loss, no loss or even make money. With Dealer A's coins I know I would have a very good chance of losing money.

Option A----quality is much more important IMHO, as long as they are not ridiculously over-priced. I can't imagine that a common coin would be priced that closely to a rare one.

In regards to Dealer A's coins - he has priced them so that toning premium is more than 20x the value of the brilliant untoned specimen.

Dealer B's coins are also toned but one has a 2-3x toning/star premium and the other coin has a 4x premium.

Thats a very good point. I would actually be worried about Dealer A's coins not getting into a holder if they were raw. Dealer B's coins are toned but appear more NT.

And your logic is basically my logic. I dont think I would be buried in Dealer B's coins and I could always resell them and either take less of a loss, no loss or even make money. With Dealer A's coins I know I would have a very good chance of losing money.

In regards to Dealer A's coins - he has priced them so that toning premium is more than 20x the value of the brilliant untoned specimen.

Dealer B's coins are also toned but one has a 2-3x toning/star premium and the other coin has a 4x premium.

Thanks for the clarification. This absolutely helps me make a better decision. I am changing my response to Dealer B. I don't or I wouldn't pay that much of a premium for toned coins, especially for more common dates. I would much rather have the scarcer coins, as long as they were decently toned and looked pretty good (good luster and toning that isn't too dark or splotchy).

B, they are rarer, low pop, * (which will probably help whenever they are sold), and they are pieces you need instead of buying duplicates.

Pay $20K for pretty duplicates. Why?

Thanks for all of the opinions and reasoning behind them...

I choose to go with Dealer B's coins. It came down to basically what Conder said...

"B, they are rarer, low pop, * (which will probably help whenever they are sold), and they are pieces you need instead of buying duplicates.

Pay $20K for pretty duplicates. Why?"

Thats how I felt. Im pretty sure I can resell these at a profit or at least at same money I purchased them for. Dealer A's coins were just simply too overpriced and too common for it to make sense even on a buy and hold forever plan.