• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dipped coins...

38 posts in this topic

Before and after...

Quickly cleaned in acetone, then a 2 or 3 sec. dip.

Yeah, but that's not how you're going to see it, taking pictures. I said, pay close attention. I'll tell you exactly how you do it. Look at the coin. Keep your eyes on it, then apply a few drops of acetone, and then look at it after the solution evaporates. If you're paying close attention, you'll see how it disturbed the "skin." It's not as lively. And it doesn't come back.

Acetone removes layers of film from the surface, so it definitely does disturb the patina on some level. However, if you are letting it evaporate without rinsing it multiple times in fresh acetone, first, you are removing contamination by dissolving it into the acetone, then you are letting the contamination dry back onto the coin as the acetone evaporates. A properly rinsed coin will show more flash and less haze or dulness than before the rinse.

Oh, that's true, and it's a good cautionary point to bring up. You always have to rinse these once they come out of the acetone. I'm just telling him how he sees the effect, as it's pretty easy to miss, sometimes, when you forget exactly what the coin looked like, before the acetone. But, I agree, that's how you use it, properly, you rinse while it's still wet.

First off, I have used acetone on a few coins. I've successly removed tape residue from some morgans. It has never affected the actual metal of the coin that I could tell. Also, acetone will dry almost instantly as the air hits it. This is why a proper rinse is necessary as you can't see any residue left.

There is something about the lightly hued golden tone on a silver coin that brings out it's classic beauty.

Page 1659 of the "Latest Additions" thread has a drop-dead gorgeous Walker that is the finest I've have ever seen.I hate to say it but your early 20th century Texas Comms had that classic "noir" look.

After reading all the posts it seems to me that most collectors on this board do not recognize a dipped coin or do not care if a coin is dipped (only if it is over dipped .whatever that means).

That implies that most of you have tried it at least once.

I'm not critical of the practice, I've never tried doing it before, but when I get jumped on for posting a picture of a coin that I purchased 50 years and told its over dipped can of ticks me off.

Sorry for my rant. I just think I didn't get some very honest answers on this subject

After reading all the posts it seems to me that most collectors on this board do not recognize a dipped coin or do not care if a coin is dipped (only if it is over dipped .whatever that means).

I'm not critical of the practice, I've never tried doing it before, but when I get jumped on for posting a picture of a coin that I purchased 50 years and told its over dipped can of ticks me off.

Sorry for my rant. I just think I didn't get some very honest answers on this subject

I'm not sure how you can be upset about some people approving of a dipped coin. If done properly with experience, a slight dip can improve a PROBLEM coin. Overdipping a coin can and will damage it. An overdipped coin can easily be determined by looking at it. If you were told your coin looked overdipped, then it just may be. From what I seen of your Tx Comms, they weren't overdipped but the golden color that you dipped off is more preferable to collectors. I didn't see the golden toning as reason enough to dip them. I preferred them before you dipped them. To each their own on preference of color, but on a resale scale, you can get more for an original looking coin than you can for a white dipped coin. And also your comment of not knowing what an overdipped coin means is the main reason why people who have no experience in dipping coins should not be doing it! Find an old common date morgan with some nice luster to it and dip it over and over and you will eventually see what the term Overdipped means. Jmo

You are confusing two different things. There are degrees of dipping. An over-dipped coin has been stripped of its luster and is easy to recognize. A dipped coin that is not over-dipped is not always identifiable as such.

That said, people should not be dipping, in the first place, when there are better, safer alternatives.

I think my position on dipping coins is very clearly indicated in my sig line. My post earlier was not condoning the practice but noting that TPGs out of greed will often reward the practice.

I can't agree with much of what you posted.

Some dipped coins are extremely easily recognizable, others are impossible to tell and still others lend themselves to educated guesses. It is unrealistic to try to lump them all together.

I didn't see anyone "jump" on you.

And I thought the answers you received were direct and honest.

I think we're forced to accept these, really. When I think of dips, I think of, on silver coins. I think when I was younger we were much more discriminating. I know there were some kids in my coin club who could really spot these in a dealer's inventory. Today, IMO, we turn our heads away, more. The dip is done. The funny thing is, back then, it was dipping out just what we're accustomed to collecting, today, namely, tarnish. How things change, lol.