• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tried to research but no luck

8 posts in this topic

During the Statehood Quarter craze, home shopping networks sold gold & platinum plated coins for a premium. It's probably one of those which escaped Grandma's collection and got into circulation.

well to be honest just by looking at it.Im not by any means a big time collector but i love collecting and learning more all the time. I wasnt sure if maybe it could have been some kind of commemorative or something like that so thought id ask.

thanks, to all for the info

well to be honest just by looking at it.Im not by any means a big time collector but i love collecting and learning more all the time. I wasnt sure if maybe it could have been some kind of commemorative or something like that so thought id ask.

thanks, to all for the info

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Like Bob said, the only state quarters that were struck in silver were proof coins from the San Francisco Mint (S mintmark).

The SF Mint also produced a copper/nickel (clad) proof version as well, and if you look at the reeded edge, you should be able to see evidence of the copper core.

The State Quarter Program began in 1999, ended in 2008 and 5 different SQ's were issued every year based on the order that the states joined the Union. These are not considered commemorative coins since they were also produced for general circulation. All of the coins struck at the Philadelphia (P) and Denver (D) mints are copper/nickel clad.

Chris

Almost certainly a TV coin show silver plated quarter. Once the poor unfortunate buyers of these things learn that they have absolutely no value over face a lot of them get spent. These things get asked about all the time.