• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most beautiful toned coin your hands have held?

68 posts in this topic

You don't have to own the coin. Just have to have a picture and it had to be in your hands at some point.

Here is mine..... Its a MS63, which makes me cringe! I hate going below MS64. I have sold this coin 3 times because the damn grade on the holder... silly huh? Its not your typical 63 toner. EVERY hit has toned over making them less distracting than a 64 with hits that break up the toning because they didn't tone over. Anyhow here it is... The toning is so phenomenal in hand and Shane did an excellent job capturing the rare pattern if toning on this coin.

Evilchristree_zpsf0cd9f2e.jpg

Let's see the most amazing toned coin you have held! Everybody has different taste do don't be shy.....

Some nice coins so far.

(thumbs u

I enjoyed this one when I owned it:

48Dwashie.jpg

Not sure it's the most beautiful I've ever held since I don't have pics for them, but its certainly the biggest monster I own, and I own quite a few.

imagejpg1_zpse9412d9c.jpgimagejpg2_zps8a214324.jpg

I do not have a picture, so I probably shouldn't even be posting here... The reason I am though, is because Id like to know if anybody else has experienced something like the coin I am about to talk about... (I might actually be able to at least get a picture of this coin, the guy who owns it and showed it to me is here in Salt Lake like myself.).

Anyways, this coin was a Franklin half... in a PCGS holder. graded AU58. I don't even remember the year, but am sure it was a 62 or 63. THE ENTIRE REVERSE WAS MONOCHROMATICALLY TONED, THE MOST INSANE, NEON MONSTER GREEN I HAVE EVER SEEN ON ANY COIN... IT WAS THE MAJORITY OF THE ENTIRE REVERSE, AND FAIRLY EVENLY DISTRIBUTED, BUT IT MOVED AND CAME ALIVE WHEN ROLLED AND VIEWED AT DIFFERENT ANGLES. THIS COIN IS LIKE ITS OWN LIGHT SOURCE! THE ONLY WAY I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DESCRIBE IS BY REFERRING TO IT AS A RADIOACTIVE GREEN GLOWING LIGHT, JUST LIKE YOU SEE IN THE CARTOONS. IT IS UNREAL. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT AND I SAW IT 3 YEARS AGO OR SO.. IVE NEVER EVEN SEEN A MORGAN THAT COMPARES PER-SAY (NOT TO SAY ONE LOOKS BETTER THAN ANOTHER-THERE ARE SOME MONSTER MORGANS)... ANYWAYS, HOPEFULLY MY DESCRIPTION AT LEAST GETS ENOUGH OF A POINT ACROSS TO MAKE UP FOR THE LACK OF A PIC... I WILL TRY TO GET A PIC, IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER.. NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, I AM GONNA SEE IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO OWN IT ONE DAY!

i like the seated dime best :)

Thanks Johnny. :blush:

There are some extremely beautiful coins posted here. WL .... Those proofs .. Wow!

No makeup on that one either Kurt. I took it out of the envelope just the other day and it just seems to keep getting more and more vibrant and better looking all around.

I have silica in my safe and I recharge them often but I think this Georgia humidity just helps things tone faster, regardless of the silica.

i like the seated dime best :)

Thanks Johnny. :blush:

There are some extremely beautiful coins posted here. WL .... Those proofs .. Wow!

No makeup on that one either Kurt. I took it out of the envelope just the other day and it just seems to keep getting more and more vibrant and better looking all around.

I have silica in my safe and I recharge them often but I think this Georgia humidity just helps things tone faster, regardless of the silica.

Question, I have been told that silica placed near coins will prevent them from toning. But, at the same time, I have been told multiple times, by people who supposedly new what they were talking about that it is dry air that causes the most toning... Then, I'll be talking to the next guy who I feel is very knowledgeable and he tells me he is 100% sure that it is humidity that causes toning.. is there a consensus about which causes or inhibits toning more than the other.. humid or dry environment? I would really like to know so I can at least feel like Im trying to know how to keep my coins the safest whist in long term storage..

Here are some I've owned or still do...more "modern" issues.

5c-36d.jpg

50c-82p_zps66e74dd2.jpg

10c-18s.jpg

25c-17d1_small_zps5ae95d9a.jpg

jom

Question, I have been told that silica placed near coins will prevent them from toning. But, at the same time, I have been told multiple times, by people who supposedly new what they were talking about that it is dry air that causes the most toning... Then, I'll be talking to the next guy who I feel is very knowledgeable and he tells me he is 100% sure that it is humidity that causes toning.. is there a consensus about which causes or inhibits toning more than the other.. humid or dry environment? I would really like to know so I can at least feel like Im trying to know how to keep my coins the safest whist in long term storage..

I will refrain from explaining areas I am not that knowledgeable about. There are some real experts that can answer that for sure.

I'm surprised you didn't post any of your Capped Bust material.

I'm feeling "modern" today.

BTW, I had forgotten you were the one who bought that Peace Dollar...interesting.

jom

I do not have a picture, so I probably shouldn't even be posting here... The reason I am though, is because Id like to know if anybody else has experienced something like the coin I am about to talk about... (I might actually be able to at least get a picture of this coin, the guy who owns it and showed it to me is here in Salt Lake like myself.).

Anyways, this coin was a Franklin half... in a PCGS holder. graded AU58. I don't even remember the year, but am sure it was a 62 or 63. THE ENTIRE REVERSE WAS MONOCHROMATICALLY TONED, THE MOST INSANE, NEON MONSTER GREEN I HAVE EVER SEEN ON ANY COIN... IT WAS THE MAJORITY OF THE ENTIRE REVERSE, AND FAIRLY EVENLY DISTRIBUTED, BUT IT MOVED AND CAME ALIVE WHEN ROLLED AND VIEWED AT DIFFERENT ANGLES. THIS COIN IS LIKE ITS OWN LIGHT SOURCE! THE ONLY WAY I HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DESCRIBE IS BY REFERRING TO IT AS A RADIOACTIVE GREEN GLOWING LIGHT, JUST LIKE YOU SEE IN THE CARTOONS. IT IS UNREAL. I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT AND I SAW IT 3 YEARS AGO OR SO.. IVE NEVER EVEN SEEN A MORGAN THAT COMPARES PER-SAY (NOT TO SAY ONE LOOKS BETTER THAN ANOTHER-THERE ARE SOME MONSTER MORGANS)... ANYWAYS, HOPEFULLY MY DESCRIPTION AT LEAST GETS ENOUGH OF A POINT ACROSS TO MAKE UP FOR THE LACK OF A PIC... I WILL TRY TO GET A PIC, IT IS AN ABSOLUTE MONSTER.. NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT, I AM GONNA SEE IF THERE IS ANY CHANCE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO OWN IT ONE DAY!

Your contagious enthusiasm reminds me of my favorite Franklin half:

5NU384J.jpg

And I know it's a mere common cent, but also love the overall appeal:

2YhXHom.jpg

While this is not THE most beautifully toned coin I have ever held it is the most beautifully toned Feuchtwanger I have ever seen or held and I still own it

20806520_10812814_extralarge.jpg

Too many to choose from.. to keep it (relatively) short, I'll post some coins I've owned (or still own) from the last couple of years, not the monsters I just held or handled. surely these don't compete with the stunning coins in this thread, but these are some of my favorite toners:

- 1843 $1, NGC XF45:

IMG_0251_zps843c1779.jpg

IMG_0253_zpsb214cf69.jpg

- 1960 25C PCGS MS66 CAC:

1a_zps76086622.jpg

2a_zpsc0d5b44a.jpg

- 1922 $1 NGC MS64 (I think it was a 64.. can't remember):

5_zps5251bdee.jpg

6_zps29e1ac7d.jpg

- 1882-CC, GSA, RAW:

80_zps2604cd5c.jpg

- 1885 $1 NGC MS65PL: