• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts please

17 posts in this topic

I first saw this coin in 2011 and I loved the strike and, although white, it still has dazzling original mint luster. I noticed the small dark toned spot on the left side of the reverse but since it was the size of the head of a pin---I was not bothered by it. It has remained the same and not gotten any larger. That was until some friends told me that it was a little distracting. What do you think? Oh yeah---it' s has a CAC sticker and is graded MS 65. :)

4c5d4bd3d9314f519987b13988b12374_zpsb78ed103.jpg

49ea88c09286437dae8d55842938cf84_zpsbfa47fff.jpg

looks to have killer lustre, a decent light original skin to the coin!!!! great eye appeal and a little bit of character with the almost invisible toning dot proving originality and has not been screwed with overdipped etc. i love it....................... :cloud9:

looks like an ms 65+ to my minds eye from the excellent photos and pcgs and cac liked it :applause:

so in hand sight seen i bet i am correct with the above accessment

if you want perfect non-original coins tell your collector friends to buy overdipped, garish, blast white coins with that squeaky clean overdipped stark white "look" yuk not for me

i will take your coin anyday of the week

but to each his own as collect what you like.............................

The spot doesn't bother me at all graded 65. The pics are too bright to really see anything else.

+1

I can barely see any details of the reverse.

Pics and comments on my 43D are making me wonder if your monitor is failing.

The spot doesn't bother me at all graded 65. The pics are too bright to really see anything else.

+1

I can barely see any details of the reverse.

Pics and comments on my 43D are making me wonder if your monitor is failing.

My monitor is brand new. Here is another image of the reverse.

d7b13334-2397-44d9-86b1-51f37477ae6a_zps5942d0e8.jpg

That's a little better. Still very bright bright. Do you need to tweak the settings?

That's about as good as I can make it.

BTW--I DO like your Nickel---it has good eye appeal. From what you said----I bet that the color is GREAT in hand.

That's a little better. Still very bright bright. Do you need to tweak the settings?

BTW--I DO like your Nickel---it has good eye appeal. From what you said----I bet that the color is GREAT in hand.

Not my intent to throw your thread off course - I just couldn't see enough of the coin to make a comment. :foryou:

Not my intent to throw your thread off course - I just couldn't see enough of the coin to make a comment. :foryou:

No problem at all. ;) What do you think now that you can see it better?

I think that I need to spend a few more dollars on Walkers :grin:

Seriously, I think the location of the spot is not distracting. I'm keeping in mind that it's a very small dot on a fairly large image.

As long as it's in check and you like the coin, I think it's a non-issue at MS65.

I think that I need to spend a few more dollars on Walkers :grin:

Seriously, I think the location of the spot is not distracting. I'm keeping in mind that it's a very small dot on a fairly large image.

As long as it's in check and you like the coin, I think it's a non-issue at MS65.

Thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. My first impression was that I liked the coin. Do I wish that the spot was not there? Yes, but it looks great in hand and has many other redeeming qualities, so to me----I think that I like it at 65, too.

Normally, a spot like that would bother me on a coin whether it was on the obverse or reverse: however, the spot on your coin is nesteled perfectly between the branch details that it's not very distracting at all. My eye did not go there immediately.

Thanks for posting the second set of pictures. The first ones were too bright to offer any kind of opinion.

That obverse is a later die state, that's much of the reason for the killer luster. The spot on the reverse is a little disconcerting, I can see it grading either way for that. For my money, I want to get close up to it. The contrast with the luster is what makes that spot stand out. I was just looking at a Washington Commemorative we have that toned just like that, right over the D mint mark. Tough break.

OK you said you loved the coin and you didn't find the spot distracting. A fried does find it a little distracting. Do you still love the coin, or is your appreciation of the coin conditional on someone else loving the coin?

OK you said you loved the coin and you didn't find the spot distracting. A fried does find it a little distracting. Do you still love the coin, or is your appreciation of the coin conditional on someone else loving the coin?

That is a plausible question and I have a feasible answer. I like the coin but just the fact that some people (those whose opinions I respect) were more critical of it---that made me more WARY of it. If it really bothered me a lot; I wouldn't have purchased it. I knew that there would be mixed reactions towards it. But let's face it----even though we are all collectors here----there comes a certain point where we MUST be cognizant of the dollar value, investment potential and possible resale of an item. This coin has sold more than once, in the past, and each time it has brought a premium, so I do know that there are some that like it more than others. No coin is perfect, especially at the MS 65 level. ;) I just wanted to get some honest feedback. :) I find it to be very interesting and useful----MANY thanks to all who responded.

I don't think the spot is inappropriate at MS-65, but it is a tad distracting, I suppose. The 1944-S is TOUGH to find with a decent strike, but not impossible, and one might there's an unspotted one available out there with similar strike quality.