• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AT or NT?

20 posts in this topic

I think I would tend towards natural album toning except that the colors are too vivid in my opinion for a copper-nickel coin so brightly toned.

Gary

doesn't even come close to the natural "progression" and color scheme I have been taught. Nor does it look like anything I knew was natural. I would say Artificial for sure.... Just an opinion.

Mixed opinions....Yeah I can't tell either. I paid a bank-breaking $0.99 for this dime (w/ free S&H) on eBay. Maybe I paid $0.89 too much. But I'm thinking of submitting just to see what NGC thinks. My general thinking is, if it looks too good to be true, it's probably AT. But even though I think the colors are cool, I wouldn't say that they are exceptional.

But I know what you're saying. You can do a lot to for the look of a coin with the right light. There's plenty of "juiced" eBay photos.

Juiced....That's the perfect word for it.

It's my word of the weekend. I'm gonna squeeze that into a conversation somehow.

My initial feeling was AT, then that faded to QT. And then I thought some more...

While it might be NT (based on the thought of why would someone purposefully AT a 73-D AU dime) I dont think it will grade though. Not MA is my final thought.

Good luck...

I guess if you could stand it on edge in a iron skillet with the burner on high you could achieve these results...but then again clad coinage rarely exhibits wild fanciful colors out in the wild.

I am leaning towards NT, but I do agree with the others who posted their opinions in this thread. The colors are like phosphorescent psychedelic! It looks like the seller went a little overboard when he/she enhanced the photographs of this dime. I am 99% certain that your coin is natural, I mean who would go through the trouble of doctoring a dime worth ten cents, like forever!!!

You've piqued my interest as to what a third party grading service would do with the dime. If you can afford it send it in. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I think it could be NT from a cheap aftermarket cardboard holder. The question I have to ask is does it really matter? The coin looks lower MS / upper AU and not worth sending to a grading company, IMO.

With a clad coins the experience I have is with Dansco toned coins and this is nothing like it. With that in mind I'd say it's not MA...but that's just based on what I've experienced. However, I can say I've seen "cellophane" toned proofs of that era that look similar so who knows?

NT or AT? Define those terms first then I can answer. heh.

jom