• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where to sell high value coins?

16 posts in this topic

I am considering selling my 1911-D PCGS MS-62 $2.50 gold indian (strong D). This is a $10,000+ coin. Suggestions on where it would allow me get the most net value for it? Same question regarding my 1652 Mass 3 Pence, PCGS AU-55 CAC.

Thank You.

Not an answer to your question, but if one uses a commercial auction house, can you negotiate the commission down so that the house relies solely on the buyer's premium?

Not an answer to your question, but if one uses a commercial auction house, can you negotiate the commission down so that the house relies solely on the buyer's premium?

If your consignment is big enough you can do that, but a single 1911-D quarter eagle and Mass. three pence silver piece are not going to do it unless you have one of those Heritage certificates that gives you a free pass on one lot.

I take it that the Mass. three pence is a Pine Tree and not an Oak Tree coin. Oak Tree coins are very tough in that grade, and if you had one I might solve your problem. ;)

I am considering selling my 1911-D PCGS MS-62 $2.50 gold indian (strong D). This is a $10,000+ coin. Suggestions on where it would allow me get the most net value for it? Same question regarding my 1652 Mass 3 Pence, PCGS AU-55 CAC.

Thank You.

The last two (non-CAC) PCGS MS62 1911-D quarter eagles I'm aware of having sold, brought less than $9500 each.

Higher value coins like that need major auction companies in many cases, and a visit to the CAC headquarters is probably a necessity these days. Stacks/Bowers, HA are leaders. But the numbers game on key date coins is pretty clear, they don't go much higher than standard results unless they are something special.

You can always attempt to negotiate a sellers commission with a major auction house. Don't expect too much give on the two coins you've mentioned, but every percentage point you can knock off is money in your pocket.

Just as a FYI, in the art field, for a valuable collection the seller can get 105% of hammer.

Mr. Feld:

I simply used an example, and did not state whether or not it has CAC. Why are you always so negative, did you not see the title of my post???

BTW NGC MS-62 example recently sold for over $11k, and non-CAC. See http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1191&lotNo=3816

Looking forward to future productive posts.

Mr. Feld:

I simply used an example, and did not state whether or not it has CAC. Why are you always so negative, did you not see the title of my post???

BTW NGC MS-62 example recently sold for over $11k, and non-CAC. See http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1191&lotNo=3816

Looking forward to future productive posts.

I wasn't being negative - I was trying to provide information, so that you didn't have possibly unrealistic expectations. My mistake, obviously.

Since you didn't mention CAC, and stated that your coin was PCGS graded, I made a point of noting non-CAC sales of PCGS coins.

Jim, I think Mark was trying to be helpful in trying to give you his view of the market with some specific examples. I think you MIGHT realize your price -- and you are certainly within the ball park to state that with a bit of luck/a good market -- you can realize $10,000+.

But I think the import of Mark's post and some recent prices might indicate that it could fall on the south side of $10K just as easily. Still a good price, but maybe below what you expect.

Good Luck with the sale, keep us posted ! (thumbs u Hope you get what you consider fair.

How soon would you like the money from the sale? (from start of process to check in hand) How much are you willing to pay for a reserve in case it does not get what you want?

Is maximizing money to you (within an acceptable time period) your main goal?

Legend-Morphy has a good following, plus no seller fees.

Excellent suggestion.

Do you have a link to their website?

Thank You.