• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914-D Lincoln

15 posts in this topic

VF 30- 35 hard to tell from photos. The spot beside the right wheat ear may be a future problem, I would have it looked at if it begins to grow or change color. There is a possibility of an old cleaning but cannot tell for sure in the photo.

I would say it has the value of a VF-35. It's not quite an EF-40 because of an old cleaning, but it would be hard to buy this piece for less than EF money, given the way grade-flation works these days. If it doesn't get flagged for cleaning, it sells for EF money easily.

The cleaning is not bad; it just gives the coin a sort of odd, two toned appearance.

VF 35 but I don't like the fact that it was cleaned. The contrast of the surfaces, b/c of the cleaning is not subtle and makes it very evident and obvious. The coin does have a solid strike, though.

I appreciate the comments. The spot next to the right wheat ear is on the slab. It graded problem-free VF35 and while it does have a old, light cleaning - there are no hairlines or signs of abrasive cleaning.

1914-Dslab_zps4fc2df38.jpg

It graded problem-free VF35 and while it does have a old, light cleaning - there are no hairlines or signs of abrasive cleaning.

The market value overcomes that cleaning. It's always been that way with these better-date hole-fillers, even before market grading. It's just that back then with only technical grading we couldn't reconcile giving it a grade as easily.