• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1893 columbian guess the grade

8 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a 1893 MS 65 form Heritage. I've owned on of these for over 30 years. I posted four pictures. The first two are the coin I purchased from Heritage,,, the second two are the coin I've owned and is not professionally graded.. What do you think? I think the second coin is better

146553.jpg.259ec4590808d85f3c81e8fecb88c971.jpg

146554.jpg.5c8c2571b67835de3e0b11574907aa0b.jpg

146555.jpg.5484dbea10d4228fe32ea69625ac9102.jpg

146556.jpg.0a9d8ea7b3c9e4bf0af713cdb6f9cb69.jpg

remember it is almost impossible to grade from photos and your photos are good but not super duper ultimate best and with your photo ok not bad but not the best

and yes i cant even take photos but i am just saying

but

be that as it may i see your raw coin as really eye appealing and lusterous but i do see ever so slight rub on the high points............... now in hand sight seen could be totally different and i could grade the coin choice to even gem mintstate

but based on what i see in the photos just the photos of your raw coin i see a coin that is au 58 to ms 63

again i would need to see the coin in hand sight seen to me sure and then grading is always subjective

and again from the high points photos only on the obverse i see rub/friction so no higher than ms 63 and again au58-ms63

and please read the statement under the line just below

I like the Heritage coin better. It has better details and looks a bit 'fresher' in the luster and/or surfaces department. The second one looks AU 58 to me.

Actually the first one looks better to me. It has cleaner fields and better top sail details.

While both are nice coins, first one gets the nod. (thumbs u

What do you mean by over dipped

It means dipped in a solution to remove tarnish from silver. If done too many times, the surfaces will look dull and muted.