• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you feel about SEGS grading?

20 posts in this topic

I don't even look at coins in their slabs online. I would be willing to look at one in hand so I could be sure of what I was getting, but via a photo only, no way.

The reasoning for my question is based around the decision for selecting a company to slab certain non-circulating coins/designs. I have one those George T Morgan smithsonian designs that sets in an NGC slab. I've seen pattern coins in PCGS and NGC. I just wonder why a Felix Schlag design would have been put in an SEGS slab. I would have thought it would have been put in a more prominent TPG slab.

I think SEGS certified those pieces because NGC and PCGS would'd do it. Today things might be different.

In this isolated case the fact that these pieces are in SEGS holders makes a difference. They are "genuine copies."

Treat it as raw,and ignore any grade assigned.

Agree. Of course I treat all slabbed coins as being raw and look at the coin to form my own opinion as to grade.

Irvin, your example has color, and that confuses things a little. For NGC's market, that coin trades as a straight up MS62. It trades at better than that to somebody who's crazy about that color. Market grading criteria allows for that disparity. On the DMPL, I don't know, but there could be traces of it showing that aren't distorted, or masked, or compromised by the color.

Yes I agree Kurt. Photos really are terrible for this coin. It is a lot better looking than the grade reflects. I personally would grade it a 63 PL star. The color does mask about half of the coin's obverse in a straight on shot.

I'll bet it is, Irv. Even from the pictures, there does look to be some "mirror" to it. At a straight-up MS62, I think I agree, it might be somewhat of a bargain.

+1

Even with NGC and PCGS slabbed coins, I'm personally more interested in the coin than whatever the slab says. But I'm assuming bsshog40 is really questioning the accuracy of SEGS grades.

I have only owned a handful of SEGS graded coins, but from my experience and opinion they were just a bid overgraded by 1 or 2 points. Nevertheless, I am more confident about grades from SEGS than many of the stated grades of coins from eBay sellers. I recently bought a Roosevelt dime that was listed as BU. But I'd call it EF....AU on a good day.

Larry Briggs who apparently runs the SEGS (Sovereign Entities Grading Service) is like the one man band, he knows quite a bit, as one dealer told me. Probably he will attribute coins that the others will not. Most grading services don't want coins coming back to bite them or ill-affect their reputation with the explosion of internet imaging of most coins these days. If all you see is overgraded problem coins in "X" company's holders, no one would want to submit to them i.e. "greater fool theory".

NGC and PCGS stand behind their certifications, to a lesser extent ICG and ANACS, SEGS probably doesn't get much in guarantee submissions, why bother? Mr. Briggs is at some of the bigger shows and would be interesting to speak with.

Not much about their grading... but their slabs are like Fort Knox. Its almost impossible to break them open.

Amen to that!

Not much about their grading... but their slabs are like Fort Knox. Its almost impossible to break them open.

Amen to that!

Yes, I have only cracked out one SEGS holder, and it required quite an effort! :makepoint:

SEGS coins should be considered as raw coins. JMHO

Isn't this the case with all graded coins? "Buy the coin, not the holder"??? I've seen too many "mistakes" to trust the grade on any holdered coin.