• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happens to the hobby when money goes all digital?

9 posts in this topic

Anyone given any thought to how the coin collecting hobby will fare once we move to all digital money? I personally think we will go all digital by 2025. I also think hobby will survive, and even think the shift to digital might breath new life into the hobby.

For example, modern autos barely resemble the cars we had just twenty years ago, but the collector car market is on fire. Vinyl albums are very collectible, even though music has gone 100% digital. I don't even know if you can find CDs anymore.

Criminals will not allow the elimination of currency...

How could you possible pay off your Congressman if someone can trace the payoff electronically ?? Cash is king is not just a saying for no reason...

If Congress wont get rid of the penny and the paper dollar bill now, I just dont see them getting rid of all hard money in 11 years. Thousands of years of an established practice will not be abolished in 11 yrs. Maybe by 2125...

I think all digital by 2025 maybe a little soon

If it actually does, the older stuff will be worth more.

I estimate over 50 billions state/national park quarters have been minted - the coins will always be out there in my lifetime.

Coin collectors will accumulate certified and graded digital images of coins and pine for the "good old days" of fiat money and credit cards.

There's a better chance of me being the Pope than money ever being all digital. I remember in the 1980's when everyone said checks were the new cash.

As was stated earlier, if congress can't get rid of the penny there's no chance they'll ever get rid of everything.