• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you prefer to collect bigger coins or smaller coins?

36 posts in this topic

Different people obviously have different series that they like to collect. Do you prefer to collect bigger coins or smaller coins? Let's say for definitional purposes the following coins would be included in the following categories:

Big coins = Large cents, 2 Cents, quarters, half dollars, dollars, eagles, double eagles, $50 slugs etc.

Small coins = 1/2 cents, small cents, trimes, 3 cent nickels, nickels, half dimes, dimes, double dimes, all the other gold denominations.

While I enjoy looking at all coinage, I collect bigger coins, predominantly quarters and half dollars. Also, as I get older I find it more difficult to see detail in the smaller coins with my bare eyes.

Well, I like both: Morgan Dollar, Capped Bust Halves, Twenty Cent Pieces, and Indian Cents. My girlfriend prefer to have a MASSIVE diamond... crazy.

My girlfriend prefer to have a MASSIVE diamond... crazy.

She figured it out. Square-cut or pear-shaped those rocks don't lose their shape. ;)

I started collecting coins 64 years ago, grabbed pennies and nickels off the card tables. About age ten, my mother and I started collecting the Barber series, all I had was the dimes, she had the rest of the series. In the last twenty-five years, I mostly collected Capped Bust Half Dollars, and Classic Commemoratives. The past few years I dabbled in the Indian Quarter Eagles, but they do not offer what the half dollars offer, too small, and too uniformly made.

At my age, it is much easier to see the larger coins.

I collect them all although I must admit that I have spent more time with small coins than large ones. I was fascinated by the early half dimes and started a collection of them many years ago. Recently I have working on a set of Type I gold dollars. One incentive was that the set cost less and was available than the quarter and half eagles.

The bigger coins are easier to deal with, especially silver and gold ones and to evaluate. But the small coins that jump out at you with flashy luster or magnetic appeal certainly have their place. Obscenely large coins like Pan-Pac slugs don't do much for me but of course their price point is a real deterrent.

............as I get older I find it more difficult to see detail in the smaller coins with my bare eyes.

I'm with you, Sy!

I remember that one $50 Mint bag of Lincoln cents took me 4-1/2 years to search because I got severe headaches.

Then dollars and half dollars became a problem for me to see clearly. Now, I'm up to 90mm medals.

Chris

my only preferences with coins within the last 2500 hundred years or so and really nothing after 1950

is that they have

extraordinary and exceptional eye appeal

AND A COMBO OF ABSOLUTE AND GRADE scarcity/rarity

and with great historical context

my only preferences with coins within the last 2500 hundred years............

Geez, Michael! I didn't know you were that old.

Chris

Chris

I assume he is an immortal.

Chris

There can be only ONE!!

Chris

lol thanks!!

i am still rather cute but fat; if i do say so myself :hi:

Chris

lol no; still only very cute but fat :cloud9:

For me both (only gold) but I have been mostly focused on quarter eagles. I sold everything that was not gold to focus on gold. I like to be able to see the coin so I'm sticking with quarter eagles and up.