• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

selling collection

18 posts in this topic

i don't know if i'm in the right place,but i need some help.if i was to sell my collection where is the best place to sell?lots of varieties from silver eagle sets to modern gold,proof sets ,mint sets,morgan dollars,silver quarters etc?i would like some kind of direction.thanks!

you can sell at any auction website, but why not start here?

post a list of what you have, asking prices, and pics and see if anyone here is interested...

if you can't sell it all here, then move it to ebay / greatcollections or other auction house

Here or eBay, Great Collections doesn't make sense when the minimum buyer's premium (which is ultimately reflected in what the consignor sees) is $5, which is a good amount of the value of many of those pieces. Also try the PCGS forums.

Look up the prices of your stuff on Greysheet, you can get reliable though a couple week old issues for $3. Apmex makes offers on moderns, not top dollar but not terrible low ball as you will get from pawn shops and most coin shops that will offer 70% of GS bid at best. There is a telemarketer who was paying over GS bid on many issues, not sure who that is.

To list on ebay you are going to spend a lot of time in search of the top dollar. You will need a good account, good images, etc.. Then you will have to ship which runs around $2.25 per item for first class shipping alone.

Upstate Coins sends out a regular offer sheet on proof silver eagles and other moderns but you need to fill out some forms to sell to them. Maybe Dale Larson at Spectrum will make strong offers.

Besides the combination of ebay and paypal fees that usually amount to about 16%.

It's more like 13 percent on no reserve auctions.

$5/$25 is 20% on the ASEs for instance. Apmex is a good option that I didn't think about.

Here or eBay, Great Collections doesn't make sense when the minimum buyer's premium (which is ultimately reflected in what the consignor sees) is $5, which is a good amount of the value of many of those pieces. Also try the PCGS forums.

+1 (thumbs u

Great Collections doesn't make sense

I would have to respectfully disagree with you on this one Kenny. My experience with Great Collections was very positive in liquidating over 100 coins.

If I had chose to go about the eBay route and the time involved in taking photos, listing them, etc... I would have been buried. The realized auction values were very fair (probably better than I would have realized on eBay), the fees that were associated were well worth mailing all my coins that I sold out to Ian.

Just my experience and the ease of the entire process I had with GC.

you can list them here, before you go to Ebay. Its free to list on Ebay if you do a "Buy it Now, or Best Offer" auction. And you can wait for offers. Ebay and paypal fees together, are 12.9% (Ebay being 10% and Paypal being 2.9%). Each coin is a hit or miss if you place it in a regular auction.

Thanks, James for the friendly invitation to sellers. Yours is one of the top numismatic companies in the US especially with your addition to the pros there. Plus highly ethical and fair.

I think he was talking about "Great Collections" in terms of selling common material, like moderns as the OP said he wanted to do.

This is exactly what I was saying. If the buyer's premium is $5 on a $25 item, for instance, then bidders will reduce their bids by a corresponding amount. That's 20% there not counting the 5% seller's fee. There are situations where auctions make no sense as the consignor's net will be less than what he or she could have done by selling the items themselves.

I understand and do not disagree on the moderns. I just read the OP as:

proof sets ,mint sets,morgan dollars,silver quarters etc?

So I must have incorrectly assumed that he was selling early coins as well as moderns.

However, I will add that amongst all the coins I sold through GC's there were a fair amount of Moderns that did not sell the first go around and did on the second go at it. They did not bring much but I never expected them to,

The OP seems to have many options and I hope the best for him/her.

proof sets ,mint sets,morgan dollars,silver quarters etc?

So I must have incorrectly assumed that he was selling early coins as well as moderns.

Based on the other holdings left, I made the assumption that most of the items were lower value (more than likely below $100, often significantly below $100). In terms of more expensive items, it would depend, in my opinion, on what the OP has to sell to find the most proper venue. For instance, are we talking ultra high grade rarities or esoteric varieties? My recommendation would vary; as would it if the coins are circulated or lower mint state common dates (which I assumed).

I would like to get a copy of your list if you still have it? I buy sale and trade. You havent heard of me but aslong as the money is good what does it matter if you know me or not. Before long I hope to get to know all of you. Just let me know I will be glad to give out my number.