• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this type of toning.

17 posts in this topic

I have really come to like this type of toning.

It seems more prevalent on quarters for some reason.

Does anyone have this type of splotchy, colorful toning on any other denomination?

Please share any examples you may have and thoughts on what causes it.

1918standinglibertyx2_zps15ee5600.jpg

I'm sure it's strictly environmental. I have a Mercury Dime that has black toning just laying along the outer rim and along the letters. Not much of anything in the fields.

Kinda weird but I like it a lot.

While I like original toning, I don't care for black splotchy toning at all. When it is coal black it is or very close to surface damage. To me the eye appeal on silver coins like this is very low when the toning has reached the point where it has destroyed the mint luster.

I'm sure it's strictly environmental. I have a Mercury Dime that has black toning just laying along the outer rim and along the letters. Not much of anything in the fields.

Kinda weird but I like it a lot.

i like it to but it is way weird for me. nice cointhou

Sorry, I do not like this toning and think every coin posted so far is highly unattractive. The type of toning on the SLQ is most likely due to an improperly rinsed dip and retone. Splotchy, blotchy, dark toning is unappealing, and should result in a lower price/value.

This is all my opinion, of course. If you like it, buy it - just don't be surprised if you don't get a strong price for it.

:sick:

sorry.........................

it is all a personal SUBJECTIVE preference

one man's gem is another's rotten tomato

collect what you like and is pleasing to your EYE

Agreed and this post is not meant for the OP but for newbie lurkers that might be reading this thread... BUT

Not all toning is attractive. Not all toning should garner a premium. Some toning might lower the value of a coin.

I say that because I see a lot of dealers at shows and Ebay sellers using the terms "toning, toned, vibrant, rainbow" and others words to justify a premium price. Over the past 15 years the term "toned" has come to represent any coin that isnt bright and shiny. I find that to be misleading and puffery.

To see what I mean just search "toned, toning, rainbow and color" on EBay and see what comes up... Pages and pages of coins that arent either 1) toned or 2) are not attractively toned.

However, keep in mind that coins with "original skin" might not be attractively toned but might still bring a premium because some collectors like coins that are original and dont like dipped out shiny metal discs.

You should collect what you like but as Physics said previously, you might not be able to sell that coin for a premium and might lose money on it. Do your homework and see what type of toning brings a premium and how much of a premium before diving into the toned coin market.

Bingo!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I really didn't think it would generate this much interest.

I'm not a dealer and don't worry too much about what other people think of my widgets,but I do respect others opinions and I like to know what they think.

That info. could be useful someday.

I am surprised at the overwhelming majority not liking it at all.

The comments about a "bad rinse" sort of surprises me too.

I have seen one or two coins that I thought had residue from "dip".

None of those had this type of toning.

Thanks again!

yeah Roosevelts are often splotchy with toning. but personally, i don't like it. i'd much rather have bright colors with good luster that's consistent around the whole coin. but if you like it...have at it my friend. i mean, there are no rules to what you can or can't collect. (except for stolen U.S. government coins that is, they want them back.)