• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone purchase the Baseball Commems?

85 posts in this topic

I had purchased the Civil Rights dollars just to keep my set up to date but it failed to overwhelm me in any way. Naturally, I followed that order up with the baseball commems but decided to splurge and purchase the gold coins as well. Glad that I did since I notice that they are now sold out of the 50K combined mintage. This means that while they hype remains, they will sell for a good premium until the hype dies down.

Victor, where in the heck have you been? It's nice to know that you're still alive!

Chris

Ditto, long time no hear!!!

Ez E! Long time no see my friend. I was just recalling the loss of some of the old timers that I enjoyed communicating with and you came to mind. Hope you stick around.

The flippers at Coin Vault are already hawking the 6 different coins. All of them are perfect 70's (UC for the proofs) and are graded by our host.

Gold: $3999.00

Silver uncirculated: $599.00

Silver proof: $499.00

Clad: $199.00

The labels included the words "Opening Day Releases". Kind of a cool banner to have on the coin, BUT not at those premiums.

The flippers at Coin Vault are already hawking the 6 different coins. All of them are perfect 70's (UC for the proofs) and are graded by our host.

Gold: $3999.00

Silver uncirculated: $599.00

Silver proof: $499.00

Clad: $199.00

The labels included the words "Opening Day Releases". Kind of a cool banner to have on the coin, BUT not at those premiums.

Naturally.... These Kings of Con would sell their mothers if they thought they could make a profit.

I had purchased the Civil Rights dollars just to keep my set up to date but it failed to overwhelm me in any way. Naturally, I followed that order up with the baseball commems but decided to splurge and purchase the gold coins as well. Glad that I did since I notice that they are now sold out of the 50K combined mintage. This means that while they hype remains, they will sell for a good premium until the hype dies down.

Victor, where in the heck have you been? It's nice to know that you're still alive!

Chris

Ditto, long time no hear!!!

:whee::hi:

Called about 1:30, was sent to the waiting room for 2 hours, 43 minutes, then entered a VERY busy web site. What you'd expect. I've been on computer networks since 1980, and this was the best handling of a one-time huge overload I ever saw. I gave the Mint high marks for preparation for this event.

Had no problem buying a pair of $5 gold proofs for myself and five silver $1 UNCs for a dealer friend too busy to kill half a day on the phone. What goes around, comes around. He once did me a favor.

Did I do wrong not buying him the $5 presentation cases? Since I hadn't asked, I didn't feel right spending his money on them.

Is there really a premium for "first weekend" sales? Is there documentation, or just the receipt?

Truth-to-tell, "MLB" has soured me on what was once a fine professional sport. I bought the commem for its novelty. My collector days are over; my investor days are not.

Quick question: I just found out my order got shipped out yesterday...on FEDEX.

The problem is I have a PO box as an address and I know FEDEX doesn't drop off at PO boxes. Anyone know if this package is going to end up in some sort of "postage hell loop"? lol

When I click on the link at the US Mint site it says "no such tracking number".

jom

I bought the three pieces via the Internet from the Mint website and have received notice that the coins have been shipped. I refused to stand in line at the Baltimore show. I suppose I could have been money in if I had done it, but time is precious to find stuff at the auction and on the bourse floor so I didn't take the time. I had no interest in the slabbed coins with the special label because I don't care for modern commemorative coins in slabs. All it would have been for me would have been a flip for a profit.

Over the long run, I don't think that this is going to be money maker because too many pieces have been sold. There is a post ATS that claims all of the dollars have been sold. I don't know if that person knows what he's talking about or if he playing some sort of game.

From what I've seen of the coins, they are something less than attractive; they are just weird. I have been interested in baseball since I was a kid, however, and I do want to keep my complete commemorative gold coin type set going, so I bought the set. I still wish I could have bought a three piece set, however, and not three coins in individual holders.

There is a post ATS that claims all of the dollars have been sold. I don't know if that person knows what he's talking about or if he playing some sort of game.

On another forum a Mint Weekly Sales Report as of 4/6/14 was posted that showed sales of 366+ thousand silver dollars had been sold, for a coin with a maximum mintage of 400K that's close enough to a sell out to call it one.

I just ordered the silver dollars and there was no indication of a sell out, just that they wouldn't be delivered until July...

OK, so no one has had any issue with the FEDEX to a PO Box? I had assumed they would use USPS when I ordered...I mean really...it's the US Mint after all!

jom

I ordered a set of all 6 coins from the Mint... but I wasn't able to get to a computer until the afternoon of 3/28 to order as I was travelling on 3/27. My order shows backorder for all 6 coins with various estimated shipping dates. They took away the cancel boxes in my order status a few days ago. Hope I get these as they look pretty neat.

The Mint really messed this one up though. The Mint stated it was one of the goals of this commem program to bring new collectors into the hobby. But with an order limit of 50 coins per household and a relatively low maximum mintage, the sales worked to the advantage of big time dealers and any new collectors that may come to the hobby because of these coins will now unfortunately have to pay substantial premiums for the coins.

The Mint should have retroactively limited orders to 20 or 10 or even 5 per household once they saw how quickly it sold. The ordering page clearly states the Mint reserves the right to revise the limits so that shouldn't have been an issue for anyone but the largest of the modern coin dealers.

Jom,

From what I understand, sometimes the mint sends the shipment part way via FedEx and then it gets delivered to the final destination via USPS... Kind of weird but I have seen it happen.

Jom,

From what I understand, sometimes the mint sends the shipment part way via FedEx and then it gets delivered to the final destination via USPS... Kind of weird but I have seen it happen.

You are correct. My shipments lately have shown to start with fedx and then the mailman delivers it. It has also been a faster service that I've noticed.

The reason I ask is that the links they give go to the FEDEX site tell me they are unknown tracking numbers....not much help there.

Thanks for the responses...I'll just have to wait see if/when they show up.

jom

Try plugging the tracking numbers into the USPS website and see if they do anything there.

I tried that already....nothing.

jom

Jom,

You are correct. My shipments lately have shown to start with fedx and then the mailman delivers it. It has also been a faster service that I've noticed.

Same for me Bobby. I actually ordered mine on the Sunday after opening day. My order is now in process.

I am also being shipped my 2 uncirculated SAE's. The first invoice I got for these coins was $4.97. That was $0.01 per coin + $4.95 for S/H. They have since corrected their error.

Wow, my silver proof hof just went from backordered date of 6/19 to "in process" ship date of 4/24.

Well I just checked my order I placed on 27th @315 east coast time went from ship date of 4/21 to 6/21 spoke to them they said they are out of them until more come in WTH. :frustrated:

That would be a deal JP. lol This year I changed my subscription to just one proof and one uncirc SAE. I used to get two just in case I needed to sell my spares one day but the value of these have not warranted the extra one anymore. Mine is sched to ship 4/24, same day as my proof hof is scheduled.

Wow, my silver proof hof just went from backordered date of 6/19 to "in process" ship date of 4/24.

Well I just checked my order I placed on 27th @315 east coast time went from ship date of 4/21 to 6/21 spoke to them they said they are out of them until more come in WTH. :frustrated:

I think these dates are going to fluctuate until they actually get shipped out.

Silver Hof proofs arrived today Thursday ( received email that they were shipped on Monday). Happy with the coins. Some for collection-some for flip ( maybe)

Ref:ordered 3/27 at 12:40 PM

Other silver and clad orders a week later are scheduled for delivery all over the calendar from May to July.

I think these dates are going to fluctuate until they actually get shipped out.

Mine just went back to 6/21 again. lol

Product Name

Quantity

In process changed again

lol

Price

(each)

Total

Item Status

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 1 $51.95 $51.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 04/16/2014.

Product Name

Quantity

In process changed again

lol

Price

(each)

Total

Item Status

2014 BASEBALL HOF SILVER PROOF 1 $51.95 $51.95 1 unit backordered. Expected to ship on 04/16/2014.

Mine went back to 6/21. lol

I placed my order on March 30 at 11:20 PM. I made a joke to myself that I might see the coins by the All Star Break, and as it turns out that's about right if I am going to see them at all.

The projected ship date for the Proof $5 gold coin is July 17. If they send me a marked up piece of junk, I guess I'm out of luck because the coin is now sold out. It makes me wonder how many thousand of those coins got sold at the Baltimore show. It's shame the mint does not have more respect for collectors who did not attend that event, but they have managed to sell out so the Baseball Hall of Fame is going to end up better than the Girl Scouts did. (shrug)

I'm not really concerned about when I get my one little silver proof. lol Just as long as I get one and it will just stay in my cabinet with the rest of my collection and collect dust.

Today I spoke with a local dealer in Michigan that was set up at Baltimore near the Mint- Huge lines all day and then if they wanted them TPG more longer lines.

Said that a lot of dealers were paying people to stand in line.

At the current Baltimore TPG coin prices it probably paid to have someone stand in line