• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone purchase the Baseball Commems?

85 posts in this topic

After some floundering around updating my shipping address AFTER the 9am (PST) start time, I finally got my order through. I bought one each of the gold (UNC and PRF). They are both "backordered", one tomorrow and one 4/10.

I don't buy much from the mint so I don't know what is this "back order" thing is exactly. I'm unsure as I heard this set my sell out fast so I don't know if my order will actually sent or whether I got shut-out (so to speak...heh).

Did anyone else try? Did the set sell out? hm

jom

Did you get a confirmation number if so it went through, I got the two silver $ backordered 6/15 common mint , sell something that is not produced yet, oh well

From what I heard, the mint was another fiasco. I went to the site just to check my subscription status, tried to sign in and got sent to a waiting room. BS!!!!!!!

From what I heard, the mint was another fiasco. I went to the site just to check my subscription status, tried to sign in and got sent to a waiting room. BS!!!!!!!

So did I but it was only 5 min. or so.

My mistake was not being prepared. I order from the Mint very rarely and I did not have my shipping address updated so that took forever after 9am. Then, while doing so, the website had used a "submit" button implying an order which as it turns out was only to update the address and CC. Their site isn't very intuitive....whatever the case it was my fault for not noticing my address and CC weren't updated. I just created a problem after all the traffic kicked in. argh...

jom

I logged into the web site half hour after it started and got the waiting room. WOW, Really. So I figured what the heck got nothing better to do. Wait time 2 1/2 hours. 45 minutes later it said it was my turn. It went into the site then back into the waiting room and told me I left the room so I lost my turn in line, wait time 1 3/4 hours. WOW Hmmmmm Ok, so I waited. Hour and 20 minutes it did the same thing to me, only this time It gave me 20 minutes wait that actually took an hour and then it let me in. Was so pissed I didn't order anything I wanted instead got 3 Half Dollar Proofs and then the heck out of there.

Here is a question for everyone about modern coins from the Mint. Is it better to order directly from the Mint or to just go on eBay in a month or two and buy a slabbed version in MS70? For example, last August you could buy a reverse buffalo for $1,700 from the Mint or you could buy a slabbed MS70 from eBay for $2,000. In 2009 you could buy an UHR from the Mint for $1,300, or buy a MS70 on eBay for $1,700. Of course now both of those MS70 coins are selling for $3,000 to $4,000, while the coins in OGP bring $2,000.

Here is a question for everyone about modern coins from the Mint. Is it better to order directly from the Mint or to just go on eBay in a month or two and buy a slabbed version in MS70? For example, last August you could buy a reverse buffalo for $1,700 from the Mint or you could buy a slabbed MS70 from eBay for $2,000. In 2009 you could buy an UHR from the Mint for $1,300, or buy a MS70 on eBay for $1,700. Of course now both of those MS70 coins are selling for $3,000 to $4,000, while the coins in OGP bring $2,000.

I think a lot of this has to do with supply and demand. A lot of these commemoratives can almost be had for less than the mint price. But look at the 2001 Buffalo, that's still pretty high. It just depends on how they become collectible. That's why personally I feel its always a gamble for the flippers when they order max offerings. Could gain, could lose.

I think a lot of this has to do with supply and demand. A lot of these commemoratives can almost be had for less than the mint price. But look at the 2001 Buffalo, that's still pretty high. It just depends on how they become collectible. That's why personally I feel its always a gamble for the flippers when they order max offerings. Could gain, could lose.

I'd almost rather buy from the Mint unless I can get the original packaging later on after buying a slabbed example.

As to prices: It's like the stock market...you can't predict short-term results so I just ignore it. Buy what you like....if you have to have a slabbed piece wait and buy it later or whatever.

jom

Was able to get a full "compliment" (Gold Silver Clad) in both Proof and UNC variants. Went back tonight to pick up five more each in silver, and the system took my order,, but didn't provide an order number in the tracking system (instructing me to contact the mint). The MY Account Page and an email shows my order, an order number, and "SOLD OUT" under the MY ACCOUNT page order number. Maybe I'm on a waiting list for the second order. Find out tomorrow. The web site was tough to get through on was bogged down and tough to navigate. Phones were busied out as well.

I got online about 3 hours after opening and had to wait about an hour to get in. Then the site was horrible slow. I even tried too phone in a order but just go it busy signals. Finally got a order placed on the site though it took an hour and a half....sheesh.. I managed to get two each of the clad UNC., prrof, and silver and one each of the gold versions.

I watched the long line in Baltimore. I wish collectors would like up that way for my books....!

I watched the long line in Baltimore. I wish collectors would like up that way for my books....!

If it makes you feel any better, I got "in line" at wizard and got autographed copies of your books...still working my way through "Mine to Mint".... I realize I'm only one person, but with my large waist size I could easily count as two....

I ordered one silver proof last night. Back ordered until June, but I don't really care about that and I didn't have to wait for hours on the website.

I decided against the gold coins as I'd rather spend the money on gold with numismatic value.

Well I did decide to order one Silver Proof today. Backordered until 06/19. Don't really care about that anyway. I've never seen a curved coin, so I think it might be cool just for the collection.

After some floundering around updating my shipping address AFTER the 9am (PST) start time, I finally got my order through. I bought one each of the gold (UNC and PRF). They are both "backordered", one tomorrow and one 4/10.

I don't buy much from the mint so I don't know what is this "back order" thing is exactly. I'm unsure as I heard this set my sell out fast so I don't know if my order will actually sent or whether I got shut-out (so to speak...heh).

Did anyone else try? Did the set sell out? hm

jom

I ordered them late on Sunday night. A post ATS said that that the gold was "sold out" so I got on to see if I could get one. I seems like I can, and the gold has the shortest "backorder" time according to the mint site.

As for the "backorders" the mint was selling them like hotcakes at the Baltimore coin show. The hang up was you had to stand in line for over an hour to get them. That was not for me.

The game is that the grading services were stabbing them with a special "first weekend of issue" label, which to some people seems like a way to make an instant profit. The dealers were buying them from the mint and would not sell any of the coins to the people at the show. The mint ran out of coins (at least the gold) on Friday but had more on Saturday so go figure about the backorders. (shrug)

As for a "set" of these coins, there isn't one. I much prefer the two and three piece sets (and even the four and six piece sets when they were in the wooden boxes), but the mint offers those only now and then. The mint has also played games with the sets in the past by limiting the number of them to 10,000 which "spoons" IMO. :mad: Anyone who wants to buy a set should be able to get one during the ordering period. After that, then you need to go to the secondary market. That is only fair.

The definition of Backorder is "sales orders waiting to be fulfilled". So, if you ordered a gold commem and got a order number confirmation you should be good to go.

I ordered an Unc gold a bit after 10 PM Eastern time on Thurs and got the order confirmation #. I looked yesterday and now the Unc is sold out with the waiting list notification.

I had arrived at the show around 3:30 on Thurs and the US Mint line was indeed out the door and almost up the stairs. Later in the show I was on the PCGS submission line (an old ANACS small holder that NGC doesn't cross) and a collector he told me he was on Mint line for 4 hrs.... ughhhh

Rich

Bill,

I debated on buying a gold one, but decided just to get the silver proof. Like Bobby, I just thought it would be nice to have one in OGP for my collection.

Has anyone ordered the Civil Rights Commem? I think the reverse is very attractive, but the obverse is rather lacking. It looks like the dude is carrying a push broom! I said no thanks, but wondering if anyone else bought some.

Joe

I heard about the long lines @ Baltimore. At least one of the guys who picked them up there were re-selling them yesterday at the Danbury Coin Show. Derek and his friend Russell from Poughkeepsie know that low risk strategy of flipping well and quickly doubled their money on all the Baseball commems. they picked up.

On another forum, one of the members who attended the show reported that some dealers were paying people as much as $500 to buy them for the dealers.

Chris

I got an email from the Mint this morning stating both were on back-order. Shipping is going to be tomorrow for the UNC gold and 4/14 for the Proof. So I'm not certain what back-order means exactly.... (shrug)

jom

Wasn't really interested in the coins, but with the drop in gold I was hoping maybe the price would fall. I wonder if they will drop it as per the new pricing schedule in a week or so for those who go on the waiting list ?

Bill,

I debated on buying a gold one, but decided just to get the silver proof. Like Bobby, I just thought it would be nice to have one in OGP for my collection.

Has anyone ordered the Civil Rights Commem? I think the reverse is very attractive, but the obverse is rather lacking. It looks like the dude is carrying a push broom! I said no thanks, but wondering if anyone else bought some.

Joe

I have refused to order the Civil Rights commemorative for political reasons. I am not against equal rights and civil rights, but I am against quotas. Having lived for all of my working life as the "new pariah" (white male), I've had my fill of the way the Civil Rights Act of 1964 has been applied. Almost 50 years of quotas is too long.

The late Senator Hubert Humphrey said, "If this bill results quotas, I'll eat it." I hoped you had a good appetite, Hubert, because that was what it was all about. The very first job interview I had after graduating from college ended when they told me I was the "wrong color." Then it got to be "the wrong gender." The white guys who wanted to get into med school had it worse.

So it breaks my set, but I will not buy the Civil Rights coin for personal reasons.

rantrant

I had purchased the Civil Rights dollars just to keep my set up to date but it failed to overwhelm me in any way. Naturally, I followed that order up with the baseball commems but decided to splurge and purchase the gold coins as well. Glad that I did since I notice that they are now sold out of the 50K combined mintage. This means that while they hype remains, they will sell for a good premium until the hype dies down.

Having lived for all of my working life as the "new pariah" (white male), I've had my fill of the way the Civil Rights Act of 1964 has been applied. Almost 50 years of quotas is too long. The late Senator Hubert Humphrey said, "If this bill results quotas, I'll eat it." I hoped you had a good appetite, Hubert, because that was what it was all about. The very first job interview I had after graduating from college ended when they told me I was the "wrong color." Then it got to be "the wrong gender." The white guys who wanted to get into med school had it worse. So it breaks my set, but I will not buy the Civil Rights coin for personal reasons. rantrant

When I start my website, I'll give you a call ! :grin: (thumbs u

I had purchased the Civil Rights dollars just to keep my set up to date but it failed to overwhelm me in any way. Naturally, I followed that order up with the baseball commems but decided to splurge and purchase the gold coins as well. Glad that I did since I notice that they are now sold out of the 50K combined mintage. This means that while they hype remains, they will sell for a good premium until the hype dies down.

Victor, where in the heck have you been? It's nice to know that you're still alive!

Chris

It seems that most of the gold commems. get bought for under spot price and sell for spot price at best, maybe it is a form of justice for the explosion of all the new commems. as the mint seeks to keep its employees and designers busy.

Having been the sole white man (token?) on African-American work crews and hauled into workman comp. court by a Jamaican who was hit by a car as he was raking leaves in a fall clean-up some years ago, I understand the pain that many carry from injustice. No one wants to assume direct responsibility for their own actions. One of the reasons to read Lew Rockwell daily.

If the gold coins are really sold out, I hope that the people who bought them lose their shirts. For the collector who went to the Baltimore show there were three choices, stand in line, order with your iPad and risk having you credit card hacked, or lose out. If they really have sold all 50,000 coins, most everything has gone to flippers.