• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another purple-ish 1921 Peace Dollar

22 posts in this topic

To me the overall strike looks only a little above average, although better at the periphery than most.

To me the overall strike looks only a little above average, although better at the periphery than most.

I think there are too many hits in the tiara to go along with the left field activity for a 66. But the strike on a grading curve is better than a little above average IMO.

Generally for me Peace dollars I feel people compare to "distance" from what a full a strike would have been, then yes I agree with you on this one. But if you go by total number of 21 Peace dollars with strikes better, then I think you get to well above average pretty quick on one like this.

Not "lavender" or "lilac" in the description as many use such imaginative color terms instead of the blasé "purple"?

"Hints of lavender and teal with aurelian highlights around the periphery, a true treasure-trove of glorious subtle hues and hints of pastels. Sure to please the most discriminating connoisseur of numismatics, with claims to the next higher grade."

You could buy over a dozen gems for the same money, I even have a decent near gem being offered. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=231184976370&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

There are enough varieties of any given coin available to please anyone.

I might be the lone dissenter, but to me, based on my interpretation of the Heritage photos (which I suspect are pretty awful), it appears to be a sensational coin (as a 1921 Peace dollar) and appropriately graded.

Here's an almost full strike 1921. Compare details to the coin in the first post.

1921-obv-fullstr-obv-rev_zps5081b7a7.jpg

I don't disagree. But you can count on 1 toe how many look like that. So when you say its not above average, are we talking mean, mode or median? That's very important here.

I might be the lone dissenter, but to me, based on my interpretation of the Heritage photos (which I suspect are pretty awful), it appears to be a sensational coin (as a 1921 Peace dollar) and appropriately graded.

I agree with you, that's why I posted, whether its a 66 or a 65 I think its a beaut.

“…aurelian highlights around the periphery…” sounds kind of kinky, isn;t this a "family message board?"….or was the reference to Emperor Marcus Aurelius?

re: Strike - read "The Guide Book of Peace Dollars." There are photos of various levels of detail. I stand by my initial comment on strike of the coin. Too many collectors, in my view, get wrapped around the axel about slab numbers and don't look at the coin as an entirety. The OP coin is nice, but not worthy of the hammer price - again, just my meaningless opinion.

“…aurelian highlights around the periphery…” sounds kind of kinky, isn;t this a "family message board?"….or was the reference to Emperor Marcus Aurelius?

re: Strike - read "The Guide Book of Peace Dollars." There are photos of various levels of detail. I stand by my initial comment on strike of the coin. Too many collectors, in my view, get wrapped around the axel about slab numbers and don't look at the coin as an entirety. The OP coin is nice, but not worthy of the hammer price - again, just my meaningless opinion.

Again, I feel you are comparing the strike to what the maximum strike should be. And yes it falls way short of that. Where as I feel a better comparison would be as a % of the actual coins that reach even that level. If we are going to compare coins in the realm of ideals then every coin that isn't an MS70 would fall short. I also agree that the coin is probably not worth 16,000 on grade alone. I would guess the color brought the premium. Not the grade nor the strike. But the color debate is another discussion altogether. The main purpose of my post was to show that another purple toner exists. Nothing more. I would have posted it had it been an AU 58 with a flat strike.

1. "MS 70" does not mean perfect in all respects --- it means "as it came from the dies." There's a huge difference.

2. The "strike" or visible detail should ALWAYS be compared with what it was supposed to look like. Otherwise, one cannot assess the relative quality of the coin's image. Some coins are close to fully struck and have earned that designation, most are not so nice and earn a less-lofty, but still respectable designation.

3. Having 90% of the coins from a particular date/mint, etc. poorly detailed, is not a logical basis for boosting the 90% and calling them something they clearly are not – "they are what they are" and calling then "well struck" does not change their status as mediocre, or above average, or whatever it might be. As Will Shakespeare didn’t say “It’s still cow pie, wet or dry.”

As for color - not much to see, but if some like it, that's fine with me.... (Sorry about the rhymes...keyboard got stuck in iambic mode.)

I was thinking of one of Thoreau's color descriptions in "Walden", he used something like that word as for "golden".

It sold for a ridiculous premium because it was a Newman coin, not for any perceived strike or toning. It could have been blast white and flat as a pancake, and it still would have gotten a huge premium.

It sold for a ridiculous premium because it was a Newman coin, not for any perceived strike or toning. It could have been blast white and flat as a pancake, and it still would have gotten a huge premium.

I would not make such an assumption. And I would bet that many Newman coins, including ones of lower value, brought noticeably smaller premiums than that coin.

We'll just to be clear my premise was to point out that the purple toning on 21 exists outside of just my coin and cac approved it. Not to end up in argument with the peace expert on whether it's nice or not.

We'll just to be clear my premise was to point out that the purple toning on 21 exists outside of just my coin and cac approved it. Not to end up in argument with the peace expert on whether it's nice or not.

People have given you a hard time about purplish 1921s ? Ive seen more purplish colored examples then full rainbow examples...

People have given you a hard time about purplish 1921s ? Ive seen more purplish colored examples then full rainbow examples...

Maybe not a hard time, just enough to make me wonder about it. I may get mine over to CAC at some point just curious for a reference point more than anything. Or maybe I wont as I have no plans to sell it. As I still study the process though I would like to get more definitive on the toning. A recent purchase consideration has me questioning a rainbow tone more than ive questioned this one by far.

(I was not questioning the color of the coin. I apologize for sidetracking the thread. As penance, I will look through 100 1922-P dollars and assign VAM numbers to them….well, maybe 10.)