• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first coin cabinet....

16 posts in this topic

Well its a cheap knock off I picked up at the flea market for $20 but I think its pretty cool... now if I can just remove the foam/felt quarter holders it would be even better...

photo.jpg

If it was secure -- as in under a surveillance camera -- I guess a hutch or something similar would be a nice display case. But are you going to use that coin cabinet for the home ? Are you comfortable leaving expensive coins in it ?

If it was secure -- as in under a surveillance camera -- I guess a hutch or something similar would be a nice display case. But are you going to use that coin cabinet for the home ? Are you comfortable leaving expensive coins in it ?

No unless it was put into a safe or a SDB.

I want to see if a slab tray would fit into this one...

Slab tray...

As for a deal - I almost never see coin related items at flea markets by me. Once in a while I will see a few Morgans, Peace or Ike $ in a case that are so over priced its ridiculous.

I have always wondered how coins, the lower priced ones, would do at a flea market. If I had a B&M I would definitely have a table at local flea markets just from the standpoint of enticing new clients.

Anyone that goes to a flea market is a collector at heart.... a worn out Seated Liberty Quarter today for $20 -- tomorrow a PCGS MS63 Morgan $ for $60.

I also wonder if how you would do with buying at a flea market...

Anyone here buy/sell at flea markets ?

My dog has enough fleas already, thank you....

I have never done very well at estate auctions, pawnshops, etc... Seems like at the auctions your chance for close inspection of the coins is always limited by time and/or the auctioneer grouping a bunch of coins together. Then invariably even if you you get a good look, affix a grade in your head and thus a price, there is always someone else to run the prices up to the ionosphere... Pawnshops in general seem to have stuff that coin shops would throw in the junk silver pile. I haven't been to any flea markets lately, but I've never seen anything worth buying numismatically when I have been there. My guess is the B&M dealers figure the demographic of the average flea market attendee isn't the clientele they are looking for.

It really looks like (and where you mention that it has the foam/felt for quarters, makes me more than fairly certain it is) one of those real fake rosewood cabinets that that Mezak character, as well as the other TV coin hucksters, have sold containing the trio of the regular, the gold layered, and platinum layered Statehood quarters (some had a lock & key on it, some not, like the OP's). IIRC, they claimed it was a '$200 value'. They sold them individually, also, w/out the SHQ's. For $20, though, if you can get the SHQ felt (most likely foam) out of it, and get real felt in it to make it a 'real' coin cabinet, it's not a bad buy whatsoever. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the owners brought the coins to a B&M and were told, as usual, that they were only worth face, and the gold and plat on them wasn't enough to be worth squat. Sooooo many unknowing buyers of this stuff have been raked over the white hot coals. But, in regard to the cabinet, great starter cabinet if you can make it work for you.

Again, if you have limited space like I do and want your coins out-of-sight for security reasons (or at least the expensive ones :grin: ), I recommend the Lighthouse products available from Wizard and Amazon.

They're expensive, but the individual glass-encased holders are very nice for your best coins and they have nice wooden slab holders and some plastic window 9-coin holder trays, too.

I think you did very well getting the case for only $20.00. I thought

they would go for substantially more. I am terrible at imaging just

about anything - just just coins - but my coin cases are such that

I would never leave anything of any value inside them.

1) A polished Rosewood briefcase for Slabbed Coins - holds 36 coins.

It's very pretty, but not one bit practical.

2) A walnut burl Maitland Smith Coin cabinet that will hold an entire slab

set of any Barber series I choose to house. At one point I wanted

three of this cabinets ( very cost prohibitive ) and I was only able to

afford just the one cabinet because my company had filed Bankruptcy

and the Clearing House Liquidation Company dropped the prices to a

point that I would have been crazy not to buy it. The cabinet is really

pretty neat as it has over a dozen medium size compartments and a couple

larger compartments. I can fit 84 TPG Slabs in the cabinet. Mind you, there

are absolutely no coins in the case, and even with two fully grown Doberman

Pinchers in the house, it's just not a wise move, burglar systems not withstanding.

It really looks like (and where you mention that it has the foam/felt for quarters, makes me more than fairly certain it is) one of those real fake rosewood cabinets that that Mezak character, as well as the other TV coin hucksters, have sold containing the trio of the regular, the gold layered, and platinum layered Statehood quarters (some had a lock & key on it, some not, like the OP's). IIRC, they claimed it was a '$200 value'. They sold them individually, also, w/out the SHQ's. For $20, though, if you can get the SHQ felt (most likely foam) out of it, and get real felt in it to make it a 'real' coin cabinet, it's not a bad buy whatsoever. I'm going to take a wild guess and say the owners brought the coins to a B&M and were told, as usual, that they were only worth face, and the gold and plat on them wasn't enough to be worth squat. Sooooo many unknowing buyers of this stuff have been raked over the white hot coals. But, in regard to the cabinet, great starter cabinet if you can make it work for you.

Thats exactly what it is...

I love the look and feel of a cabinet but they arent practical for protecting expensive coins. Though if I was good at woodworking like my uncle was (cabinet maker) I would do custom jobs that would actually fit in a safe. I dont know if there are cabinet makers are already doing that but I think it would be cool to have a custom coin cabinet made that would fit into your safe of choice. I could see those selling very nicely though they wouldnt be cheap.