• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first stereo binocular microscope just arrived...

23 posts in this topic

another gift from the wife...

so does anyone here use it for evaluating toning on coins ?

anything to look for in regards to AT ? Any tell-tale signs under higher magnification ?

or are these just good for double dies and VAMs ?

tricks or tips would be appreciated...

I don't have a stereo scope but I do have a little scope. I think it's cool to dissect coins with. I'm sure it would be good for Vams, die cracks, mintmark closeups, etc.... I really don't see how you can look at toning and detect At or Nt though, unless it was At'd with high heat and it changed the condition of the metal.

I only have an example of natural toning close up and I do not think I would be able to tell the difference other than the toning not being part of the coin but like crystallized film on top.

If you figure it out make sure to update. ;)

Untitled+1071.jpg

Untitled+1078.jpg

Untitled+1079.jpg

Untitled+1051.jpg

Those are some really nice shots of toning... Ive seen others post cool shots of clashing and double dies but thats the first close up toning...

That gives me an idea... comparative shots of AT vs. NT toning to see if we can see the difference. Thanks.

I've had my stereomicroscope for about 10 years, but I've never used it to examine NT vs. AT. I use it primarily to examine varieties and errors.

Chris

145680.jpg.d84cab5cd87e546d712c2986873deab1.jpg

145681.jpg.a1999c74119bc6238f84b3babc767961.jpg

145682.jpg.2c8e4bb774f42d7b1612d43d399bec53.jpg

145683.jpg.5efd2f66d8f5dbb680ecb00b40a05d1c.jpg

145684.jpg.2b558aefcc40ae7a9805dc25e3182c15.jpg

I use a stereo to check fine detail. It's also good with the earbuds so I can listen to the coins sing.

I don't have any coins I know are AT to test against NT ones. I've done some surface imaging of NT Cents but likely they look different than silver, CuNi, or AgNi. I like the idea of looking at the surface to see if there are differences.

...great pics there cpm9ball! how did you shoot them? I have a stereo too and wondered how to accomplish this feat... hm

thanks

Pics are really hard to shoot because they're so small. It's best to use a shotgun, and you don't need a license.

My scope is equipped with halogen lighting on a dimmer switch. Sometimes, I have to rotate the coin for the best results.

Chris

Note: per CPM -- Pics are much smaller than skeet....and darned hard to hit. But they are tasty if you get enough of them for a meal.

Note: per CPM -- Pics are much smaller than skeet....and darned hard to hit. But they are tasty if you get enough of them for a meal.

The problem here in South Florida is that there are more skeet'ers than pic'ers. Isn't it just the opposite in Northern Virginia?

Chris

AT is a big picture thing. Stereoscopes are great for looking at fine details.

With the 'scope you can look at fine surface details to see if they are "right". I have a group of 57-D Cents that came from an OBW roll and are nicely rainbow toned. Looking at them with normal lighting they look bright and lustrous, with lots of color. But if I adjust the lighting, I can see the fine surface finish in detail using a microscope. This is what I see:

4x20Nikon20Plan.jpg

The surface is heavily oxidized, with almost a "crust" of oxidation. This is a known-NT coin. I am not sure what a known-AT Cent would look like, or known-AT Silver coin. Will they all have that crusty character?

Nice pic rmpsrpms....

By the way - how are you guys with the microscopes getting these pics ? is there an adapter for taking pics with a camera ?

And yes rmpsrpms - this is exactly what I am talking about. You should be able to see the toning on the surface of the coin and see if its "bonded" to the metal and how it flows in and around different surface features of the coin.

By the way - how are you guys with the microscopes getting these pics ? is there an adapter for taking pics with a camera ?

My scope came with a gooseneck camera that slips over one of the eyepieces.

Chris

145736.jpg.a6631264248d7ce754640ff8e579ca61.jpg

Nice photo! Every one of those white specks can become the locus of a corrosion spot if not removed. If you see any of those on a slabbed coin, you might consider complaining to the “grading service.”

In N VA was have ‘skeeters too, but they are small and do not require permits to hunt or saddles to ride, as in Florida (permits) and Minnesota (saddles).

Nice photo! Every one of those white specks can become the locus of a corrosion spot if not removed. If you see any of those on a slabbed coin, you might consider complaining to the “grading service.”

In N VA was have ‘skeeters too, but they are small and do not require permits to hunt or saddles to ride, as in Florida (permits) and Minnesota (saddles).

It's open season on skeeters year-round in Florida. When the legislators passed this law, they reasoned that we already have enough bloodsuckers during the tourist season.

Chris

I hand-hold a point and shoot camera to the eyepiece. Lets me go from eyes to camera quickly and also lets me choose which eyepiece has the better view of what I'm shooting. I use a fluorescent ringlight for lighting with 1/3 of it covered so that I have some direction to the light. The first bulb lasted about 9 years.

lightonscope.jpg

I hand-hold a point and shoot camera to the eyepiece.

You my friend have a very steady hand. I couldnt do that. It would just be blurry. lol.