• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A very good deal on a Columbus Half

24 posts in this topic

Inspired by Bobby's fine example pieces that he has picked up recently I decided to keep an eye out for some really good deals on the Colombian Expo and I think I have found the best deal yet.

This one look like a good deal

What do y'all think?

You should not post links to coins that are still for sale... Now anyone can just go and buy it before you do!

I mean, the seller clearly states in his description that "This coin is increasing in value!! ! "

There is no "best offer" option on this item either.. If I was selling a coin like this for some reason, I would take the first $15 offer on it!

I stumbled across that one looking through Colonials and I just could not resist. That is one of the tops on the chart of outrageous marketing.

I am still laughing. (:

I just went back and looked at his prior sales. He's making a killing!

2008 Bald Eagle $1 - Proof 70 - $240! Double PCGS guide price.

50 cent proof sold for $170 also double guide price.

2012 S Native American Dollar - Proof 70 - $160 / Guide is $100

100% Positive feedback too :o

And the coin shown is the coin you'll receive!!!! :banana: - :P - :facepalm:

As if it was a good thing..

How about: "hi I just won this coin. Please send me any other coin instead, your choice, just not this one in pics".

Also I know there's one guy on eBay that made big money (i mean BIG money) on eBay selling a "details" Colombian half, with a very interesting marketing tactic. I won't mention names. I know some members here saw it (JimBucks, remember that coin? lol)

How about: "hi I just won this coin. Please send me any other coin instead, your choice, just not this one in pics".

Also I know there's one guy on eBay that made big money (i mean BIG money) on eBay selling a "details" Colombian half, with a very interesting marketing tactic. I won't mention names. I know some members here saw it (JimBucks, remember that coin? lol)

I think I remember the one you're referring to. The proof that wasn't a proof but he really knew it was a proof???!!!

Let's not get that one going again! (tsk)lol

I think I remember the one you're referring to. The proof that wasn't a proof but he really knew it was a proof???!!!

Let's not get that one going again! (tsk)lol

Yep! That's the one!

Although I refer to it as "the proof that wasn't a proof, NGC said it wasn't a proof, was listed as proof anyway, then sent to PCGS that also determined it was not a proof, got a "details" grade, and ended up being sold AS A PROOF after it was (clearly against eBay listing rules) described as a proof on both listing title and description", but no need to split hairs here.

Funny thing is, I believe this seller is listed on the PCGS site as one of their major "coinfacts" contributor..?

But to his credit I will say that the major show dealer who is front and center at Baltimore, gave the chain of ownership of the piece and his basis for why he called it a proof.

But to his credit I will say that the major show dealer who is front and center at Baltimore, gave the chain of ownership of the piece and his basis for why he called it a proof.

I understand he is a well respected very knowledgeable numismatist, but I think selling the coin RAW as a proof would have been a better way of doing it (the same way he bought it..), instead pf in an NGC holder and PCGS holder that called it MS.

You know, the collector who bought it would not have that chain of ownership proof to what the coin might be, and will probably be very disappointed when he tries to sell it in the future...

No I don't know ...

An 1893 Columbian like that has to be rare in a PCGS holder. It's not often that a humble coin can go from a possible spot in a junk box to a slot in the "premier" grading service holder. :banana: It shows that there is hope for all, even those with modest talents. :insane:

The $64 question is, why did someone bother to send it to PCGS? hm

I would keep in mind that the Columbian 50c was once high grade.

Like snowflakes, no two coins are alike and someone may see something in that coin that reminds them of a happy memory, and they will have to have it ("will you take only $500 for that rarity?")

It is guaranteed genuine, so at least it is real. Plus since certified as such the buyer will not be able to complain on that count.

I would keep in mind that the Columbian 50c was once high grade.

Like snowflakes, no two coins are alike and someone may see something in that coin that reminds them of a happy memory, and they will have to have it ("will you take only $500 for that rarity?")

It is guaranteed genuine, so at least it is real. Plus since certified as such the buyer will not be able to complain on that count.

I don't know. At the last show I did before I retired a dealer laughed in my face when I priced an 1893 Columbian half dollar in PCGS MS-63 with original surfaces at $55.

$600 seems a bit strong for a piece with VF sharpness that has been improperly cleaned, but maybe I'm just being picky.

I couldn't resist, I sent the seller a message.

I basically told him/her that while I don't make a practice out of policing eBay or correcting listing, but I couldn't resist. I told them retail for a VF 1893 is only $16 and their coin didn't even technically grade.

I'll be interested to see if I get a response.

BTW, did you look at the prices of his/her other listings? The only conclussion I could arrive at was they list high BIN hoping for a Make an Offer that is still well above FMV and then accept it.

You all are missing a very important part in the sellers description....... "The casing is perfect. No scratches or flaws!! "

Surely that in itself is worth a few hundred!!! ;)

Yes a slab that grades MS-70 has to be worth a premium. Maybe he could start a new sticker business "SAS" - Slab Acceptance Service. :insane:

I was just kidding, there is no argument here for it much above scrap.

Hahahah!

Thank God! You had me - I was sure you were trying to justify.

:signfunny: