• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sleeper coins

17 posts in this topic

What coins do you think are sleepers? I am biased since I own these, that I think are potential sleepers.

1) 1909-S Lincoln

2) 1850 Liberty Seated Dollar

3) Matte Proof Lincolns and Matte Proof Buffalo Nickels

What do you think are sleepers?

Colorfully toned peace dollars :D

Those aren't sleepers, those are currently on fire.

Only when sold by certain venues. Overall they can still be had much cheaper than toned morgans.

What coins do you think are sleepers? I am biased since I own these, that I think are potential sleepers.

1) 1909-S Lincoln

2) 1850 Liberty Seated Dollar

3) Matte Proof Lincolns and Matte Proof Buffalo Nickels

What do you think are sleepers?

The 1909-S is common and I don't think it will ever see a sudden escalation in value. A better choice would be well-struck examples of some of the early "D" mint Lincolns. Try to find a NICE 1924-D!

The 1850 dollar is a pretty good choice, though, as would be any Carson City pre-Morgan dollar.

MPLs and MPBs are already hot and not "sleepers" in my opinion.

I would like to buy type-2 gold dollars in MS-62, 3-dollar gold coins in MS-63, and properly-designated cameo (not deep-cameo) Seated proof coins (especially quarters and halves) with nice but not excessive toning, at today's levels.

I think there is upward potential for PQ early commemoratives. Overall they have dropped dramatically in the last few years, as most collectables have I guess. Still I think they will jump again with an improved economy... or at least I am hoping so....

1964 SMS coins, especially the half dollars. So few trade (publicly) that they are asleep. Privately ... another story.

Best Regards,

George

I like the semi-key condition raritiy Morgans......1901, 1884-S, 1892-S, etc etc

Especially in CH AU conditions

When I was a dealer I found that semi-key date and mint mark Morgan dollars were quick sellers.

I like the semi-key condition raritiy Morgans......1901, 1884-S, 1892-S, etc etc

Especially in CH AU conditions

These are good choices, as might be the very difficult late '80s and '90s New Orleans keys in AU-58.

And are "sleepers" even possible with todays e-environment?

"Sleepers" are not only possible with the existence of the net, they become a certainty. Better and faster communication just means that people more closely share one perspective. When that perspective changes some coins are even more dramatically affected and more quickly.

From reading other threads here and ATS I think high grade moderns can see growth. Coins that were not paid attention to because we went to clad coinage. Or everyone was chasing a particular mint mark that year and the more common one was ignored. Also perhaps even state quarters in high grade. Many people spent or couldn't afford to save these during recent economic times.

I know a lot may disagree but down the road who knows? And if everyone disagrees perhaps they are even bigger sleepers the I originally thought.

Another area could be world coins. Nations that are now becoming prosperous that were not always that way. I collect Lithuanian 1925-1938. I do it for my heritage but I don't think pre WWII Lithuanians were worried about collecting back then. These I just consider harder to find then sleepers but if I were living in Lithuania now I would be interested in coins from the only other time in recent history my country was independent.

Another area could be world coins. Nations that are now becoming prosperous that were not always that way. I collect Lithuanian 1925-1938. I do it for my heritage but I don't think pre WWII Lithuanians were worried about collecting back then. These I just consider harder to find then sleepers but if I were living in Lithuania now I would be interested in coins from the only other time in recent history my country was independent.

Indeed. It's not only countries whose coins will come into much greater demand but coins from those countries which will experience demand for the very time. Just as with Russia and India we'll see lots of moderns going literally from pennies to thousands of dollars.

The world's a big place and it's not only getting smaller all the time but a lot of coins have been overlooked. The internet will bring the existence and the ability to acquire them to billions of people.