• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Name some mint states

32 posts in this topic

Your turn.....

PA., NC., GA., LA., NC., CAL., CO., NY.- all historic U.S. States Mints.

I note that Mint States were asked for, and not historic U.S. Mints.

If the latter, add Philippines.

If strictly the former, without regard to Federal U.S. Mints, I guess you could add a lot of States that had Mints during colonial period, and some after, but before, the establishment of Federal U.S. Mint.

I think this was a trick question :sumo::foryou:

And the most illegitimate "Mint State" of them all ... used back in the 1970s ...

BU, Light Rubbing

lol Good one, Bill. I always got a kick out of 'stacking' or 'cabinet' friction and the dreaded 'roll rub'. :eek::sick:

The Dalles, Oregon

The Branch Mint in The Dales Oregon was authorized, funds appropriated for its construction, it was built, but never opened for production. It's a US Mint that never struck any coins. The man appointed to be the Superintendant of the mint, William Logan, was inroute to the mint to take his office when he died in the wreck of the S S Brother Jonathan. Recently the building was a winery known as Erin Glenn Winery. I believe it is owned by a corporation, The Mint LLC

However, no coins were produced, so they didn't "mint" anything.

Mints were proposed for St. Louis, Cleveland, New York City, Indiana, Omaha, and a bunch of other places.

Mints were proposed for St. Louis, Cleveland, New York City, Indiana, Omaha, and a bunch of other places.

True but they were just proposed, not approved, funded,staff appointed, or built. The Dalles was. They just never USED it but it was still a mint.

Was the Philadelphia mint a mint before they struck the first chain cents?

The key is that Philadelphia became a mint, Dalles, never did.

There was no deep purpose -- just to get people to think about the variety of places in the USA where coins were struck for commercial use....and a bit of a pun on "mint state" grading (as some noted).

The key is that Philadelphia became a mint, Dalles, never did.

There was no deep purpose -- just to get people to think about the variety of places in the USA where coins were struck for commercial use....and a bit of a pun on "mint state" grading (as some noted).

So, you admit to ignoring the Philippines :sumo::foryou:

Nope. The Manila Mint was a US Branch Mint beginning in 1920, and it's products circulated within US colonial territory.