• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One journey to the next... posted by VUMC409

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Sooooooo, major changes are coming (have already started) to my sets.

When I started my Lincoln 1959-Date set in 2005 I had no idea what type of grades I was going to fill the set with. Fast forward to January 10, 2014 and I had the #3 set in the series. Aside from topping Doug's or Jack's set, there is no where else to go. Because of a deal I have with David Luksic, I could have guaranteed myself about another 5,000 pts, a solid lead at #3, and some very nice coin additions to my set. I added a couple of nice, pretty rare (currently) modern dates at FUN. I have contemplated the time and costs to move forward and the relative doubtful move to number 1 given Doug's position.

Conclusion, I have lived the dream that many seek as a numismatist with my Lincoln's. On to another dream or journey.

I'm selling just about everything to follow this dream (as far as coins go). I am keeping my Indian Cents, my Lincoln Proofs, of course my 1947 Mint Set (sorry Wheat!), my son's 1996 Mint Sets, and a couple of other very small ones.

I have decided to keep my 1972 DDO and a 1995 DDO in MS68 (MS69 is for sale), my 1931 S, and all three of my 1947 Cents. Other than this the Lincoln's must go. Roosevelts, Jeffersons, Washingtons (some already on ebay and MarketPlace), just about all of it goes.

Why such a drastic change and all of a sudden? It is time to live another dream. As a young teenager, I owned a 1970 Chevelle Malibu with a stock 307 engine. Since then I have dreamed of owning a matching numbers 1970 Chevelle SS 454/450 LS6. Anyone that has an inkling about these cars know they are extremely pricey ($125,000 and up usually - Barrett Jackson sold one last year for $386,000) and for that reason I'll never own one. Other options exist including other 1970 models without matching numbers and my second favorite year the 1968. So, this is what I am pursuing.

I haven't yet decided to go auction house or which one, to sell on MarketPlace or eBay, or direct market. I have already sold three of my coins to Doug, three in MS69 that he didn't have. Thanks Doug! I'll be up front and say that I'm looking to get 80% of value for each coin or the price of the set as a whole, roughly $23K.

If you are interested in one of the coins, several, or even all contact me. We can work something out. I'll still be around just in a reduced presence and more focused approach. For now, friends, it's been tons of fun and I don't regret a minute of it.

Good luck in all of your pursuits, whatever they may be.

Here's a sample of what I'm after. A 1968 SS 396/325.

15189.jpg

See more journals by VUMC409

Michael I would like too thank you personally for all your help and inspiration over the last several years. I know how much you would love to own your dream car and I will help you in any way I can. I will start getting the word out and hopefully you will be driving it like you stole it lol. I really cannot thank you enough. Remember if you do buy it you get to hold my 55DDO Lincoln while I drive the car.

Doug,

You have helped me just as much building my set. The feeling of gratitude is mutual. More so than the coins themselves is the friendships I have made along the way.

You DEFINITELY have a deal on coin for car! I'll even drive to FL to make it happen. HeHe!

Micheal

A part of me says, "Say it isn't so" while another says, "Go for it"! The collecting side of me says, "You worked so long and hard to achieve what you had, why cash in". Still another rationalizes and like you says, "I've climbed the mountain, now what"?

True, in a manner of speaking if there are no other numismatic mountains to ascend, then you probably should get out while you are on top. Too many people hang out too long and get burnt out and that's the last thing I would want for you.

We only have a limited amount of time to pursue our dreams, and that car is worthy of your pursuit! I wish you nothing but the best in your future pursuits whatever they may be.

Gary

Hi Michael,

I guess I can somewhat relate to this. My "high school" car was a 68 Firebird 400 but no way I trade any coins to own another.

Best of luck in pursuing your passion.

Cheers!

Rich

Hello,

It's funny........I've sold off 99% of my US coin collection over the past couple of years and most of it has gone into my World collections, but a good chunk went as a down payment on my dream car, a 2002 Volkswagen Beetle Turbo GLS with a limited edition color combination on the exterior and interior. I know it isn't a classic like your new goal, but I can relate to what you're doing and I'm betting you'll be happy with the car once you get it. Coins are great and lots of fun.......but you can't drive a coin! Best of luck on your new venture!

Be sure to check out Mecum Auctions. I just got back from Kissimmee,Fl. and there were over a dozen chevelles $20-$38k. The nicest was a 1966 ss for $34k. Muscle cars are my crack but only to do ground up restores for customers. Though I have a few that I keep and drive daily.

Good luck! Not sure on the 68' but I think it's rarer in 396 vs 454...$$$?

HashTag,

Thanks for the heads up on Mecum. I visited their site and they do have some nice Chevelles coming up for auction. I may have to make the trip to Houston to see the biggest selection.

The 454 was not offered except in 1970, 71, and 72. If a 454 is in a 68 it is a clone/tribute car or some one just put it in an SS. 1968 came in a big block in either 396/325 or 396/350 if you don't count the 350 and 327 engines.

Good luck with the restoration business.

Michael

Gary,

I have had a hard time making this decision. The driving factor is mortality. Recently I have been diagnosed with Werner's Syndrome (basically adult onset Progeria, early aging). Most of the approximately 1300 (1000 in Japan, so only 300 worldwide) patients of this ailment pass on in their mid 50's. I am currently 48.

This car is one of the biggest "bucket list" items I have remaining and it is time to attend to business on that front.

Your comments convey some of the thought processes I went through in making this decision. Not an easy thing to do to let go of a #3 set and most everything else but it is time. I still plan to remain active here with the sets I am keeping.

Now, buy some coins man! HeHe!

Take care man.

Michael

Michael, best of luck to you in your search for that Chevelle and, more importantly, beating the odds in the diagnosis.

Here is some inspiration

DSCN9381.JPG

wdrob,

I tried my best to get a sheet or two of those but they sold out around here within two days. I didn't even know they were coming out until the I saw in the PO the day before they sold out.

I may see if I can't find them on the bay...

Thanks for the well wishes.

Michael