• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strong Bids on Toned Peace $ in Legend Sale...

107 posts in this topic

Im actually surprised by the bids in this auction...

http://www.legendmorphyauctions.com/search/details/c/Classic_U.S._Coins/g/Silver_Dollars?id=102265&lotId=2652

Its nice but its a common date and only a 64. The obverse doesnt appear to be all that special from the photos... and the reverse looks stained.

Anyone see this coin in hand ?

Did you know Legend was behind PCGS/CU in that broken down marketing stunt they tried so hard to call a "lawsuit?" Legend offers a toned coin, expect to pay through the for it.

Did you know Legend was behind PCGS/CU in that broken down marketing stunt they tried so hard to call a "lawsuit?" Legend offers a toned coin, expect to pay through the for it.

I never heard anything or saw anything in the pleadings to indicate that Legend was involved in that lawsuit. Where did that come from?

I never heard anything or saw anything in the pleadings to indicate that Legend was involved in that lawsuit. Where did that come from?

For one, her phone number was penciled in on the cover page of the complaint when it first appeared on, correct me if I'm wrong, Coin World. You and I were both right there, in those forums, when it broke. For two, it's her obsessive campaigning for the "cause," and I'm going to ask you to let me go on anything further on that. We'll say, you remember it, you make what you will of it. You don't remember it, you don't.

This is the problem I have with some toners.......from a dead straight slab pic it doesn't look pretty. Only when you turn it at different angles does it look nice. I want a toner that looks great from any angle.

For one, her phone number was penciled in on the cover page of the complaint when it first appeared on, correct me if I'm wrong, Coin World. You and I were both right there, in those forums, when it broke. For two, it's her obsessive campaigning for the "cause," and I'm going to ask you to let me go on anything further on that. We'll say, you remember it, you make what you will of it. You don't remember it, you don't.

I will leave it at: Your post made it sound as if were a fact that Legend was behind the lawsuit. I never saw or heard anything to indicate that to be the case, and I have no reason to believe that was the case.

The obverse has very nice color for a Peace but the reverse is ugly in my opinion. Worth a premium but nothing like these bids.

I'm a big fan of toned coins and the real challenge is finding nicely toned coins at reasonable prices. There is a fabulously toned coin listed on a dealer's website right now that I would love to add to my collection. A blast white one would go for around $250 and I would be willing to spend double that for this piece (maybe even a little more). But it's listed for over $9000 :makepoint:(shrug) . I almost want to email the dealer and ask them if it is a typo.

I've also seen toned Commems go for ridiculous money.

For us novices, what causes this rainbow toning ?

And aside from a curiosity for the masses and obvious love by collectors like Tonerguy, why are (some) toned coins so expensive when the general rule is to get a coin as close to the condition it was in the day it was minted ?

When I started out decades ago I never came across any love for toned coins. I am not sure I even recall reading about them.

I will leave it at: Your post made it sound as if were a fact that Legend was behind the lawsuit. I never saw or heard anything to indicate that to be the case, and I have no reason to believe that was the case.

Construe my use of "behind" as "in obsessive support of" and it is a fact. On the penciled-in phone number, all we remember is, the next time we saw the complaint on Coin World, it was erased, gone. And there went our chance at the next step, the handwriting analysis, lol.

And aside from a curiosity for the masses and obvious love by collectors like Tonerguy, why are (some) toned coins so expensive when the general rule is to get a coin as close to the condition it was in the day it was minted ?

When I started out decades ago I never came across any love for toned coins. I am not sure I even recall reading about them.

Different thickness causes different colors, it has to do with light refraction.

Some toning is much more attractive than other toning. The really good ones cost more in colored coins (and many things).

If you just want color, ugly color will cost you much less. Don't feel bad if you can not tell the difference between what many people consider exceptional color and ugly color - after veiwing a few thousand coins, you will form your own opinion.

Heck, for $3,000 I'd at least expect to get a couple of mint marks -- maybe a D and an S, or an S and a CC...?

My guess is that the toning was caused by storage in an envelope which contained sulfur.

Some buyers prefer coins which look as close as possible to how they appeared when they were minted. Other collectors prefer coins which have toned in colorful hues. As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

Contrary to what some people think, the appreciation for toning among a good many collectors and dealers is not a new phenomenon. I have been paying premiums for certain toned coins for more than 30 years and I haven't, by any means, been alone in that regard.

Some people collect the slab....

Some people collect the sticker...

Some people collect the previous owner(s)...

Some people collect the dealer.

My guess is that the toning was caused by storage in an envelope which contained sulfur.

Not sure how only the obverse would tone up like that in an envelope...

Would you opt to consider an alternative toning method of having been stored face down in an older album page instead?

Not sure how only the obverse would tone up like that in an envelope...

Would you opt to consider an alternative toning method of having been stored face down in an older album page instead?

Sure, I'd have to acknowledge that very reasonable possibility. And in fact, I was so focused on the obverse, that I had forgotten about the appearance of the reverse. doh!

Ugh, that reverse is ugly.

But it has a CAC, so it must be worth it, right? Right?

I would have hoped you'd find a more apropos circumstance in which to take a swipe at CAC. The high bids are almost certainly due to the obverse color and have, at most, very little to do with CAC.

I would have hoped you'd find a more apropos circumstance in which to take a swipe at CAC. The high bids are almost certainly due to the obverse color and have, at most, very little to do with CAC.

Yes, I realize that. It was a joke.

Yes, I realize that. It was a joke.

You seem to "joke" a lot about that. ;)

The high bids are almost certainly due to the obverse color and have, at most, very little to do with CAC.

Do you really think that coin with that reverse would be getting bids at that price if it wasnt CAC'd ? The obverse isnt earth shattering in regards to color from the photos posted.

Some people collect the slab....

Some people collect the sticker...

Some people collect the previous owner(s)...

Some people collect the dealer.

And there's a coin in there somewhere. ;)

The high bids are almost certainly due to the obverse color and have, at most, very little to do with CAC.

Do you really think that coin with that reverse would be getting bids at that price if it wasnt CAC'd ? The obverse isnt earth shattering in regards to color from the photos posted.

Absolutely. The coin (obverse) looks gorgeous to me in the image. And based on the estimate and bids, I'm guessing it looks even better in hand.

The grade is virtually irrelevant, so the price is about the color. And, since the color doesn't look questionable - to me, at least - I don't see what a sticker would add in this case.

IMO, about 90% for the premium is paid for the color. Wildly toned coins have been bring huge dough as long as I can remember and that was well before CAC.

jom

IMO, about 90% for the premium is paid for the color. Wildly toned coins have been bring huge dough as long as I can remember and that was well before CAC.

jom

I think it's more like 99.99%. It might even be higher than that.